PDA

View Full Version : Its definitely a girl

grammaterry
January 12th, 2019, 11:25 PM
So, its official. After 32 years of having Sammy Jo...aka Samatha Josephine or Samuel Joseph as our adoptive Mc Caw family member...we now know that she is a girl. At Christmas, we gave her a big box that a mattress topper arrived in and she has been nesting for nearly a month in it tearing up Christmas wrapping and cardboard. We have taped it and replaced cardboard sides and she continued to chew and voila...today she dropped an egg....this is not a good thing. We were letting her play because she was being quiet and we were enjoying not having to take care and entertain her...but it turns out...she laid the egg and I looked it up...without a mate, this is dangerous and she could develop all kind of bad things from osteosporosis to egg binding. I removed the nesting box tonight and took it away and the poor thing has searched everywhere for it. I hope by tomorrow she forgets and we just go back to being normal birdbrain parents.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 12th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Wow, that is incredible. I guess I don't know much about this bird.

LLLinda
January 13th, 2019, 12:13 AM
I had a parakeet that did that and just kept on laying eggs. I gave her back to the people I bought her from and told them to breed her. I don't know what happened after that. I hope that made her happy. She had 15 before I took her back and was afraid she would get weak and sick.

chelea
January 13th, 2019, 03:42 AM
I know this isn't quite the same thing, but in Rhode Island they have a huge problem with overpopulation of swans. They're aggressive to smaller birds and they compete with the smaller birds for food. To manage the problem, the Dept. of Environmental Mgmt. goes into the nest, removes the eggs, basically shakes them to destroy the embryo and then return the egg to the nest. Maybe you could replace her egg with a similar size fake egg so she wouldn't be so upset.

grammaterry
January 13th, 2019, 11:26 AM
157068here is a picture of the egg.
I read all I could last night and it said I should not encourage her by leaving the egg with her. So everything was removed and this morning she is back to normal.

HandsomeRyan
January 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
...the Dept. of Environmental Mgmt. goes into the nest, removes the eggs, basically shakes them to destroy the embryo and then return the egg to the nest.

Jobs your high school guidance counselor never told you about. Professional Swan Egg Shaker.

Mimi_Howard
January 13th, 2019, 12:19 PM
I lost my cockatiel to complication of egg binding. I tried everything to get her out of the mind set. Part of my problem was the caging, her cage door was only closed at night time and during the day she would come/go as she pleased when I was home. She wanted to be where the action was. Like a little puppy following me around. Sit on your shoulders especially if you snacking on food. Found out she was actually doing the nesting thing under furniture, fooled me on our peek a boo game.

Babs quilts
January 13th, 2019, 01:01 PM
WOW! Yes to discouraging her!

Our cockatiel started laying eggs and what a painful thing that became. She would flop and scream. Literally I thought she was going to die.

I had to darken her room and change cage types before she stopped.

In her flopping she broke her wing getting it caught in her cage wire.

We bought her as a male.....yeah not male.

TMP
January 13th, 2019, 02:41 PM
This is so interesting! I know nothing about birds. Have you spoke with a vet? Maybe they might have some ideas on things you could do to help her.

Cokie
January 13th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Jobs your high school guidance counselor never told you about. Professional Swan Egg Shaker.

This made me lol!

Cokie
January 13th, 2019, 03:36 PM
This is really interesting. I don't know much about birds so this is all new to me. Terry, I'm glad Sammy is back to normal today!

PamelaOry
January 13th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Wow! I knew macaws lived a long time, I guess I didn’t know how long. Poor thing, sounds like her biological clock is giving her trouble.

chelea
January 13th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Poor baby, Terry. Glad she's her old self again.

JCY
January 13th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Oh, Terry ~ The things we learn about on the Forum! Very interesting about your bird.

grammaterry
January 13th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Our Sammy is 32 yrs old and could live to be 100 ( a human life span) We have had her since she was a little less than a year old. She talks a little...not like an African grey...but very clear in the things she does say. She can count to 5, tell me I'm a pretty pretty bird, knows the difference between bye bye and hi, how are you and tells us night night every night. She says uh oh when I drop something and calls DH by his name and calls me Grammma. She cannot say S's or J's so she calls herself Ammy Yo.
I took her to a vet when she fell when she was about 2 and broke her bottom beek. The vet was 100 miles from me and didn't really know much about big parrots. That was a vet bill I resented.
I learned lots about birds by subscribing to a magazine called Bird Talk. This was like a forum for bird owners before the internet. lol. We always thought the only way we would know her sex was to have her blood tested. Who would have thought we'd find out this way after all these years.
I have read much about this nesting on the internet in the last few days and I think we're going to be okay. She is really tired and grouchy today and seems hungrier than usual. FYI...they are very messy and waste more food than they actually eat. She eats the same things we eat plus some dry food as a supplement...no seeds except as a treat very seldom. Sunflower seeds make her very aggressive and she won't eat food that's good for her when she has them. She gets one almond at bedtime as a reward for going in her room by herself. (Her room is her cage)
She's a nice animal but I surely wouldn't recommend that anyone get one. Very dirty, very demanding, have to be fed and watered at least twice aday and the clean up around her cage is constant. We let her out of her cage whenever we are in the house, but if we don't watch her closely she tears stuff up...especially wooden stuff life cabinets, furniture, chairs. She is potty trained in that she knows she needs to go to her room to poop...not on us or on the furniture.
Hope this explains why you need a more traditional pet.

amartin24
January 14th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Terry, I'm fascinated with this information! I sure learned a lot on the forum today!

grammaterry
January 14th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Another egg in the bottom of her cage this morning. Oh dear

Star lover
January 14th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I wonder if the fake egg thing, Michelle mentioned, would work. She'd think she still has an egg and will just keep trying to hatch.....and maybe not lay another.......a thought. There's gotta be some web site, or bird vet, that could give ya some ideas.

JCY
January 14th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Oh, no! Another egg! Who would have thought?! It certainly is making your life (& ours) interesting. I wonder why it took so many years for her to lay an egg? Is that common? Keep us updated.

K. McEuen
January 14th, 2019, 04:19 PM
I had a cockatiel that started to lay eggs when she was about 5. I think she laid 4 total, where ever she was when she had the urge, really. Found one on my dresser, one in the bottom of the cage, one on my bed. etc. Then she stopped. No clue why she started or stopped, but never laid any more as long as she was alive.

grammaterry
January 14th, 2019, 10:36 PM
Good to know. I really think it was sort of our fault because we were enjoying watching her do the nesting thing since before Christmas. It was entertaining her and we didn't have to play with her. I think it must have triggered normal harmone production.
I had a cockatiel that started to lay eggs when she was about 5. I think she laid 4 total, where ever she was when she had the urge, really. Found one on my dresser, one in the bottom of the cage, one on my bed. etc. Then she stopped. No clue why she started or stopped, but never laid any more as long as she was alive.

Patty J
January 15th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Grammaterry,, I'm glad I read this, I've been trying to talk DH into getting a bird for several years, you have given me another perspective on my desire. I had no idea that they really lived that long!! Nor that they were that messy. I would have let the bird out of the cage, as just staying in a cage doesn't seem humane to me. The bird would probably outlive me 3 times over so it won't be a good idea. DH will be happy to learn this. Thanks again for posting.

grammaterry
January 15th, 2019, 10:00 PM
Oh, I am so glad that you have decided against contributing to the bird breeders of America. We love our Sammy but we would never replace her and we worry who will take her when we die. Our children will be too old to start with a bird and they already know what a job it is and who knows about grandkids. I tell people its like having (and don't take offense to this) a retarded 3 year old. Her learning curve stops at about the 3 yr old level and her needs are just as great. We make the best of our bad decision and try to find all the joy we can in spending time that she needs with us.

Grammaterry,, I'm glad I read this, I've been trying to talk DH into getting a bird for several years, you have given me another perspective on my desire. I had no idea that they really lived that long!! Nor that they were that messy. I would have let the bird out of the cage, as just staying in a cage doesn't seem humane to me. The bird would probably outlive me 3 times over so it won't be a good idea. DH will be happy to learn this. Thanks again for posting.
I should point out that as a teen my parents had a spider monkey. Also not a good plan.

K. McEuen
January 15th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Terry, if ever you are at the point of finding a new home for Sammy, as much as I would love to have another bird, hubby is terrified of them, I do know a 28 year old that would be thrilled to give her a home. I've never met anyone that loves birds as much as he does.

jjkaiser
January 16th, 2019, 01:47 AM
A bird laying eggs out of the blue! Okay this has got to be one of the weirdest posts ever. But very educational. You learn something new every day here. Thanks!

grammaterry
January 16th, 2019, 11:39 AM
We would love not to have her noise and her mess, but just like that 3 yr old I mentioned, we could never do that to her. So many birds are shuffled from home to home and what must that feel like? She is bonded with us and she would feel so abandoned if we gave her away to strangers. When she was a hatchling she belonged to a young single woman who eventually got a fiancÚ. When she was about 7 months old, the young man and her were fighting constantly about the bird. The young man ultimately screamed, "either the bird goes or I go" This is when we entered her life and took her home with us. She would say, "Robert, I love you, Robert, I miss you. Rober, come home" It took us 4 years to get her to stop saying that. It was clear that she really missed her first family.
Terry, if ever you are at the point of finding a new home for Sammy, as much as I would love to have another bird, hubby is terrified of them, I do know a 28 year old that would be thrilled to give her a home. I've never met anyone that loves birds as much as he does.