PDA

View Full Version : Sock Monkey Question

KPH
January 1st, 2019, 01:01 PM
Way back in the dark ages when I was young. My great-aunt Dolia made me a sock monkey. My mother being the keeper of all things, kept it for me and I've kept it because Howard's grandmother made it (just like she made them for all of her grand- children/ nieces and nephews.

Anyway, it's filled with ???, but I have it stored in a zip lock bag because it drives my head nuts to be around it.

Here's the question... Does anyone know the best way to 'unstuff it' so I can clean it and fill it with something less histamine producing. I'd love to give it to one of my grandchildren since it is the only one left.

lol, Howard even remembered getting one from his Grandmother. I don't think it meant as much to him as he was 7 almost 8 years older than I was. He told me about all three boys having sock monkeys that lived extremely hard lives in their house.

Simply Quilting
January 1st, 2019, 03:00 PM
Probably have to do a pick apart at the seams to get the stuffing. Not sure how easy of a task that would be.

Also, you can still buy the socks which come with the pattern to make the sock monkey. I made them several years ago for the children for Christmas. I found the socks at Orscheln Farm and Home. These could be a very special gift from you to the grandchildren.

K. McEuen
January 1st, 2019, 08:04 PM
Last time I bought the socks I found them at Sears.

LauraP
January 1st, 2019, 09:30 PM
I would check and see if the arm and legs, tail were stuffed then sewn on or the other way around. If he was sewn, then stuffed you could rip the seam between his legs (ouch!) and pull the stuffing out. Then re-stuff him. If his parts were stuffed then sewn, it is a bit more work but do-able.
Have you thought of putting him in a bag of kitty litter and sealing the bag then leaving it for a month or so? If he is stuffed with polyfill he could be washable. I would try the end of a foot or tail and see what happens. Good luck

Bubby
January 2nd, 2019, 04:36 AM
I hope your monkey can be salvaged. I'm a fan of SMs. They used to scare me when I was a child but later in life I fell in love with them.

Star lover
January 2nd, 2019, 10:03 AM
Wow.....you sure brought back memories. But alas....no memory of the stuff in the monkey. So sorry, but sure made me smile, remembering.

LLLinda
January 3rd, 2019, 01:43 AM
My grandmother made them for my kids too. A few years back I bought the sock monkey fabric and made them all pillowcases. Yes, they adored the idea.

Deegles
January 4th, 2019, 11:16 PM
Is it straw in the monkey?

KPH
January 4th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Is it straw in the monkey?

It could be. My allergies have been acting up this week, so it's still in the plastic bag. No sense in courting trouble. ;-)