PDA

View Full Version : Sunday before Christmas

KPH
December 23rd, 2018, 10:03 AM
Good Morning All,

It's Sunday before Christmas. The next few days will be busy for most. There's no Sunday School this morning, just church and Jim's not playing this morning. So there's a little extra time this morning. It was kind of nice to be able to not rush!

I worked on hexies yesterday, trying to slowly work up the hand grip without doing too much. I have the individual pieces done and sorted. It's just a matter of sewing the 'flowers' at this point.

Nothing exciting around the house yesterday. I made hopefully the last grocery store stop before Christmas. We'll see how that goes. I've been saying that with my last two trips!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings (which include all of you!)

Bubby
December 23rd, 2018, 10:44 AM
Good Morning Everyone . Today is the Sunday before Christmas and I hoped to fix us a nice breakfast but there has been a slight delay. It seems Sugar & Maggs graced us with some of their handiwork...TPing the house is one of their specialties!

This was a fun way to start our day! Wishing everyone a blessed day......with hugs....

pcbatiks
December 23rd, 2018, 10:51 AM
Now Barb....how do you know the dogs did that?! :D

Ginny B
December 23rd, 2018, 10:54 AM
Good morning Katrina and all to follow. Merry Christmas Eve Eve. Yesterday was our Christmas Day with my step-daughters and their fami!ies. We had a great day. We also celebrated DH's birthday. Kathryn feels like the baby won't arrive until after New Year's.

After we got home, dh and I wrapped the last of the gifts and then I headed up to the sewing room for a while to finish some hooded towels that my sis asked me to make for her grandkids. My sewing room had been declared "closed" for the rest of the season but I re-opened it for her. Towels are done and I will bring them with me tomorrow to give to her.

Today I have to finish wrapping some gifts for dh, do a bit of baking and put together the lasagna for tomorrow's dinner. We were thinking about driving up to my son's this evening but decided to not stress ourselves about getting everything done early to get on the road this afternoon. We will head up there tomorrow morning.

Not sure if I will have the chance to pop in here over the next couple of days so Merry Christmas to you all. My wish for you is Peace, Comfort and Joy .

baslp
December 23rd, 2018, 11:14 AM
Good morning. I am off to the store for a few things. A friend invited us over on Xmas day for desert (something to look forward to!). I need to think of something to make.
Barb — thanks for sharing the photos. They brought me back to shenanigans of our dogs. One of our cat likes to knock the paper towel down and shred it.

Everyone have a good and productive day!
Beth

Cathy F
December 23rd, 2018, 11:17 AM
Morning all
Sun is shining so I will run out and do the last minute grocery run for the fresh veggies and snack items for Christmas dinner.

Been baking some cookies which I find very relaxing and a stress reliever and the bonus to it the house smells delish.

I certainly didn't get everything done in the way of special handmade " Grammy gifts" for my 3 grandchildren but they will get IOU's for the items I didn't get time for. We give them money as they are all in college and know they can use it. Next year will have to start the sewing even earlier.

Tomorrow will be busy with food prep and some cleaning so I will wish everyone a Merry Christmas and looking forward to another year with my forum friends.

Barb, they are just too cute to even scold!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 23rd, 2018, 11:47 AM
Good morning,

I got a chuckle Barb from your dogs' shenanigans. Maybe you have a secret naughty elf? Seems like the full moon may have lasting effects. I was woken up by our cats just past midnight. There was a bang, and when I got up I could hear them hissing, not at each other, but at a cat on our back step. He ran when I turned on the outdoor light. I had to calm Sox down, he gets really upset when his yard is visited by strays.

Yesterday, we cooked the ham for today's xmas dinner. I will cook the patatoes, sweet patatoes and bring with lemon dessert. It's relaxing not having to rush about doing it here DH did say that this year has been challenging and that he has had trouble getting into the spirit. It has left us both simply exhausted. We wrapped the small gift for each GK's small stocking. Just something to fill it up. I visited mom and picked up more supplies. I made another 3 batches of cookies and 3 of fudge. I cut them up and put them in candy cups and box to give to friends. I also made 2 large quiches to clear fridge. Used up bacon, ham, spinach, cheese, broccoli and eggs. I froze one and the other will be for Christmas morning.

I got a very early Christmas package from M*. I ordered the DD bolt of white confetti and did not expect until the new year. It arrived FedEx yesterday morning. Now for those that say this is slow, you must realize that it left MO on Dec 18 & I got it 4 days later. This all with going through customs, crossing the border. The only hitch is that there was no packing slip and the other 2 items were not there. I have sent an email to M*. If I follow the tracking, it looks like tlhey may be coming USPS. I am not going to rant about it, as I realize that this is a busy time of year for all delivery services. Just saying that it probably cost M* quite a bit more than the shipping cost that I paid. If I order from other places, I pay quite a bit more, even from Canadian sites.

Enjoying the sun and a just enough snow to feel the reason for the season. Hugs to all who are spending the holidays alone or in shelters. Be safe. Stay warm. Stay dry.

Bubby
December 23rd, 2018, 11:54 AM
Good morning. I am off to the store for a few things. A friend invited us over on Xmas day for desert (something to look forward to!). I need to think of something to make.
Barb — thanks for sharing the photos. They brought me back to shenanigans of our dogs. One of our cat likes to knock the paper towel down and shred it.

Everyone have a good and productive day!
Beth

The Girls did the same thing with paper towels last week.

Dottie was not part of the TP party today. She is the one who came and got me to see what they pups did. Sugar jumped on our bed and tried to hide under the covers...Maggie was cool about the whole thing but she had some TP caught in her collar, so she was at least an accomplice! They are basically good girls....just so full of puppy life. We got a good laugh out of it...no scolding. If this is the worst thing they do today it will be a good day.

MissMay in Jersey
December 23rd, 2018, 12:20 PM
Received one of those Omaha meat packages yesterday and it was a challenge getting them all into our fridge freezer but I got them in there, will be so nice to have them for dinners in the coming weeks. A few little gifts to wrap and I'm done, I can do them while I'm baking a batch of breads - bonus being having the house smell so good. I prepped all the flour and dry ingredients last night into covered bowls and put all the little jars and boxes away, certainly helps keeping enough counter space when adding the eggs, etc. Also prepped a double batch of biscotti, will bake some tomorrow and the rest after Christmas when DS#3 & kids and my sisters visit Some crack candy is on the after Christmas list, know the kids will enjoy making and then eating it. They can take some home also. Also need to check out the spiral ham we're having for dinner and get the oven racks moved for it so there will be enough room for the veggie casseroles DIL and GD are bringing. It feels good to have plans falling into good shape. Gals are also bringing biscuits so that's another item I crossed off my To Do list, with 3 woman and a small kitchen making big meals together can get a little testy so I like to plan ahead.

Smooth sailing with your Christmas plans.

grammaterry
December 23rd, 2018, 12:29 PM
funny puppys. Our McCaw was gifted a big box to play in and she has been chewing on it for three days and having quite the time. Shethinks Santa brought it for her and knows that it will disappear after we take down the tree. Its her gift from us to make a mess that she can keep for a few days. ha ha.
Yesterday we went to DS's for our family celebration. He had the food catered by Chickfilet. It was good. Never had it before. Nuggets, wraps, salads and he made fries to go with it. It was fun. All the GC's really liked it and there was no mess , no fuss in cleaning or cooking.
It was an all craft Christmas exchange. You'd be amazed what those children made. One did tie dyed t shirts, one made a corn hole board, one made a speaker box for cell phones, one made personalized poker chips with the recipients face on each chip, one made a tool box with hot wheel cars...adults, one made a spinning wooden hanging porch pretty, one made an elaborate corn hole, one made a honey bee basket with quilted table runner, a homemade basket, homemade honey soap, lip balm, cinnamon honey butter, honey vinegerette, honey bee cheese cutters, and honey bee inspired dish towels (I got this gift) , One made homemade forged kitchen knives (that was DH who did that), One made a string picture of NC, One made a carbide snowman (that was SIL who ones a carbide manufacturing plant and said that little snowman had $300 worth of carbide in it.
Anyway, everyone agreed, this was great fun but no one wants to do it again. Said it was much too stressful during the holidays to come up with ideas and produce them.
Good day for all of us. Now, we are back home and I will try to get a good meal planned for DH to make Christmas day a special day to celebrate our gift from GOD.

TMP
December 23rd, 2018, 12:46 PM
Good Morning Everyone!
Oh Bubby, your fur babies made my day! My daughter came home to a mess that her dog had made yesterday when he raided the pantry and got into a big box of chicken broth . They keep us on our feet don't they!

Last night my grands, SL and I went to see Santa on the roof. Santa is on the roof and his helper is down below on the ground. The helper finds out from the parents what the kids want and relays it to Santa. They are amazed that he knows their name and even what they had for supper! I don't know if you can see the pole coming down in the picture. He slides a piece of candy down it. The people across the street have hot chocolate and a fire pit with marsh mellows for the kids. I think they said Santa has been doing this for 37 years. My children did this and now my grands look forward to seeing him also. My grandkids are the girl in the middle and the boy with the hat on the end. Have a wonderful day!

KarenC
December 23rd, 2018, 01:46 PM
Oh what fun everyone seems to be having. I am still trying to find my Christmas spirit. I know it is down deep inside me. I finished sewing my Christmas gifts about 10 pm Friday and gifted them yesterday morning. DS and I did the grocery shopping for Christmas day yesterday. 10-12 extended family coming over (half is SIL's family members). I should get busy and wrap gifts sometime today. That usually puts me in the spirit. I also like to go shopping on Christmas Eve. Something about being in the mall that day with the music playing. Everyone seems to be happy by then just looking and buying but not worrying about if it is the perfect gift. OK, maybe I'm weird, but that's me. I babysit tomorrow since daycare is closed, so probably I'll put DGD in the stroller and just walk the mall for a bit.
Still working on a wedding quilt for niece. My original goal was to finish piecing for Christmas. That's not going to happen. Well, maybe New Years since I am off on NYE.
DS has started packing for his move from TX back to OR. He moves mid January, so packing and purging on the weekends. I will miss him for sure.

For those of you who will be away the next few days, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or whatever makes you happy. I hope that everyone will be able to find joy in something, even if you may be burdened with sadness.

geegeequilts
December 23rd, 2018, 04:10 PM
Our satellite company has 3 interesting channels: a close up traditional fire burning in a fireplace, one in a more modern setting showing stockings hung on the mantel, etc & one saying Merry/Happy Christmunukka. I say Merry Christmas cos that's what I grew up saying. I hope your family gatherings are happy whatever the occasion is.

So, have a Merry Christmas, Hope your New Year is healthy, prosperous & special for you & your family. See you next year.

Love to you all.

Gina

JCY
December 23rd, 2018, 07:38 PM
Good Afternoon, Everyone ~ Hard to believe it's only 2 days till Christmas. No big celebrations here. Just the 2 of us, so it's low key. We just exchange cards. No special foods either. It's no fun cooking something special just for me.

It was bitter cold this a.m. Down to 16 on one thermometer & only 10 deg. on the other. Heavy frost. But it's been sunny & it warmed up to 50 deg. I think there's a chance of snow after Christmas.

Church this a.m. One of my friends gave me some homemade peanut brittle. It was so good I could have eaten all of it, but didn't dare (diabetic). She also gifted me a hand crafted angel made from wood & hand painted. I found a spot on our tree where she'll be cherished.

The church baby shower is <a mo. away, so I need to get crackin' on completing 2 baby quilts. Another one is needed for a baby due in Feb. I'm headed to the sewing room when I'm done here.

I cooked up a kettle of apples this afternoon for sauce. I love it with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

I hope everyone has a blessed Christmas holiday.