PDA

View Full Version : The Saturday Before Christmas

KPH
December 22nd, 2018, 10:48 AM
Well the Friday before Christmas was exciting to say the least. Most of you know I live close to the Dames Point Bridge in Jax. Right after lunch traffic, sirens blared heading up to the bridge, traffic stopped and it was stopped the rest of the afternoon. Traffic was routed off of the NB 295 down onto Merrill. (The exit behind my house). The culprit you ask... well there was a four vehicle accident that ended up with a tractor trailer losing control on the bridge The trailer went over and the cab of the truck was dangling on the guard rail. With all of the damage to the cars and the truck, there was only 1 injury!

While all that was going on, and Mike and I kept an eye on traffic behind the house, I managed to finish the stockings that we need to take to Jim's house, bake Carl's pound cake, and vacuum the floors.

It felt good to get in the sewing room. I'm excited about the string quilt moda is doing. It's a great way to use up some of Sherry's stash that I don't really know what to do with and I know I have enough of a variety of Christmas prints to do a throw for the sofa for Christmas.

For those of you that will be so busy the next few days, and I don't get the chance to see you again, May your Christmas be filled with joy and happy memories. May your new year be filled with health, happiness and lots of creative time in your sewing rooms and a bountiful stash supply!

JulieC
December 22nd, 2018, 11:05 AM
Happy Saturday, Katrina, and all who follow!

Today is the first day of Winter Break, my employer is closed and I don't go back to work until January 2, 2019. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the sewing room, but first I have lots of cleaning to do. My sister in Texas is fond of saying that neither she nor I inherited the house cleaning gene! :icon_happy: She is not wrong. It is one of my least favorite things to do.

We had some snow overnight, not much -- just enough to stick to the grass and the trees. I wasn't expecting a winter wonderland when I woke up this morning. We're supposed to have a green Christmas this year, but it is nice to see a little snow; it helps set the mood. I want to finish wrapping presents today.

I hired Seniors Helping Seniors to replace Home Instead for Mom's care. When I arrived at Mom's house for the appointment, my sister told me Mom's caregiver was going on vacation and would not be working the rest of this week or next week. I took it as a sign from God that now was the time to switch companies. Seniors Helping Seniors will start after the New Year. I hope Mom likes her new caregiver.

Time to enjoy a second cup of tea and get the wrapping done. Have a great weekend!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 22nd, 2018, 11:45 AM
Good morning everyone,

Katrina - you sure have live TV reporting from your backyard. Lucky, there was only 1 injury. I laughed when I read your post yesterday about creeping around the back with flashlight in the night looking for the noise, and then jumping up when Mike snuck up on you. It's what scary movies are made of.

Julie - that's all the sign I would also need . I hope that your mom will be better served with new caregivers.

DH put up strings of coloured lights in the backyard. I guess he figured winter would be too long with no lights. He had put away the bins last week and declared he wasn't going to do it. I guess the Grinch's heart melted. He can control with a remote. He loves gadgets.

Yesterday was busy. Dental and bank appointments. Then I picked up meat pies, buns and sugar pies at the bakery. Then I drove DH to Staples since he accidentally took a drowsy Reactine. I also stopped at a local butcher. Picked up homemade salamis and sausages, pepperettes and local & European delicacies. It was so packed. DH waited in the car. I also picked up a cement bench at a 2nd hand store. I have a similar one that I put out in the summer. This one will be a nice addition. Merry Xmas to me. Then I tried paying bills online, but Internet connection was slow. Then I went to get my nails done. It's a powder process on your own nails, which is not toxic. They last two weeks. I also sewed the names in each of the GKs stockings. DH made them on his embroidery machine.

Today, I will cook the ham for tomorrow's xmas dinner. I never made fudge or butter tarts yesterday, so I'm hoping to get this done also. I will drop by to visit mom and pick up fresh fruits and veggies. Then make sure we are ready to bring everything over to DD.

Make it a good day, whatever your challenges may be. My wish is that everyone can take some time for to enjoy life's little pleasures.
Be safe. Stay dry and stay warm.

MissMay in Jersey
December 22nd, 2018, 12:47 PM
You gals have all been cooking, cleaning, shopping, sewing and what not that just reading about your adventures has tired me out for doing anything today - just kidding as I need to do a bit of all those things this weekend. Wow, Katrina, that was some accident practically in your backyard, so glad there weren't more injuries.

Finally got the dining room table cleared so I can begin getting it ready for Christmas dinner. My girlfriend was here the other day and wanted to help me do that but when she saw the pile up of boxes and stuff she quickly changed her mind. DH had piled up all the stuff that needed to go into the garage, other rooms or out in the trash and he was going to take care of it "Later". With him later never seems to come - well it came the other day and I had him hopping all over the house putting stuff away. Dining room is quite out of view for where hr sits in the kitchen so with him out of sight is out of mind. Off to refill my coffee mug and get DH going bring some of his stuff upstairs and put away. DS#3 and kids will be here during Christmas week and will be using the bath and bed rooms

baslp
December 22nd, 2018, 02:04 PM
Good morning all. We hit 60 yesterday, and the temp dropped to 46 today. I feel quite lazy compared to you gals. We are just having a small Xmas dinner here on Tuesday. I do miss like vine near family. Our oldest DD is coming to visit from Seattle. It will be nice to see her.
I did sew some more blocks on my Tula quilt. I decided go with the Disappearing Nine patch pattern.
It will be a quiet weekend with the guys not here. Hope everyone gets their baking and shopping done!

Beth

bakermom
December 22nd, 2018, 02:39 PM
A covering of snow here. I got up and did some last minute baking. Usually have quite a few cookies done by now but it didn't happen this year. I offered to make dessert for the Christmas Eve dinner with the family so instead of my usual cookie tray I made pie and a cookie cake that I will decorate for the GKs. We don't do a lot at our house for Christmas, we go to the kids' homes rather that all of them come here. That way the GKs can stay in their own homes and not get dragged away from their gifts. It's easier for all involved. As my kids grew up I told them my "gift" to them would be the freedom to celebrate the holidays in their homes with their children so they could have their own traditions. They are always welcome but never obligated.
We will have a large extended family get together next weekend, food games and a lot of catching up. We have found everyone enjoys this a lot more, no pressure, no big gift expectations, just a chance to enjoy each other.

MaryUK
December 22nd, 2018, 09:52 PM
I got all the wrapping finished and a couple of washer loads done. Sunday evening will be our church carol service, I always enjoy it but this year I have a problem!! I'm the leader of the worship group and have succumbed to a heavy cold that's been threatening all week. My voice sounds like a bear with a sore throat so it will be interesting to see if I can sing a note never mind leading the singing!!

But, hey, there are those in much worse circumstances than I and I am so grateful for what The Lord provides and for how Him sustains me.

Hope you all have a good weekend, especially in the run up to Christmas.

JCY
December 22nd, 2018, 10:52 PM
Good Evening Greetings! ~ I'm very late getting here today. No time this a.m. with the chicken soup on the agenda. From start to finish it's ~ a 5 hr. job, not including the 90 min. I spent yest. eve. prepping the celery & carrots. I had a 6 lb. chicken this time, plus 2 pkgs. of legs, each weighing ~2 lb., so it made a lot of meat. I ended up with 15 qts. I'm always glad when this job is done. It's tiring being on my feet for such a long time. After a snack, I was ready for the recliner & bit of a snooze. I took it easy the rest of the day.

It was cooler today. High was only 45, but we did have mostly sunny weather. Next week is supposed to be considerably cooler, with a chance of snow Wed. Depending on how the system sets up, we could get 2" or 6-12".

Katrina ~ It sounds you had excitement in your neighborhood from the fwy.. Do you hear the traffic in your house?

Tomorrow a.m. will be church. I think this year I'm going to skip the Christmas Eve service. Our church has 2 services, one at 4 p.m., the other at 6 p.m. DH always is uneasy & anxious when I go out after dark. I'll stay home with him. Maybe I'll watch one of the TV services later in the evening.

I noticed not as many people posted today. It looks like everyone is busy. I hope to get some sewing done tomorrow.

Remember the Reason for the Season.

KPH
December 23rd, 2018, 12:00 AM
Katrina ~ It sounds you had excitement in your neighborhood from the fwy.. Do you hear the traffic in your house?

Joy, I do hear the noise! That's one of the reasons I had new sound insulating windows put in the house. We sit on a cul de sac. The back of our lot is the on ramp from the Southside Connector to 295 NB. So their are two major roads converging, with 295 farther away from the house, but I still have a great view of the clover leaves between the two roads.

I will say, the new window have helped tremendously with the noise, but those motorcycles reving up are just loud, no matter what.