PDA

View Full Version : What is your preference?

Astatoo
December 21st, 2018, 12:30 PM
Last night DH and I began planning next years travels/vacations. We plan on going to visit a couple friends as well as inviting friends to come here. Our discussion turned to where we would like to stay, in a hotel or at the friends home. Personally, I prefer to stay at hotels, I sleep better and also have severe cat allergies so it is just more comfortable to do this. We don't want to offend friends by suggesting this and we would definitely welcome the friends to stay at our home but want them to feel comfortable also. So, what would your preference be?

LauraP
December 21st, 2018, 12:53 PM
We try to stay at hotels when we visit friends. Due to our life choices (nudists) it is just easier. With family we bite the bullet, keep our clothes on, and stay with them unless there just isn't any room.
We don't have a guest bedroom so we use our motorhome. We pull it down to the city park and they have all the utilities. Since town is small they are only about three minutes away.

auntstuff
December 21st, 2018, 01:11 PM
I kind of prefer to stay in MY home, as traveling these days stresses me more than I can handle. Hauling an oxy concentrator and nebulizer wears me out.

Caroline T.
December 21st, 2018, 02:10 PM
For the most part I would prefer to stay at a hotel.

Babs quilts
December 21st, 2018, 06:41 PM
I prefer a hotel as well.
When guests come here it's to a hotel. We have no guest room.

chelea
December 21st, 2018, 07:29 PM
I'm a poor sleeper so it's much better for everyone if I stay in a hotel.

KPH
December 21st, 2018, 07:44 PM
Other than my MIL's and Melinda's, I'd rather stay in a hotel.

Judy, USMC
December 21st, 2018, 08:09 PM
When I'm not home I live out of a suitcase ... in a hotel. My folks would always stay in hotels too. When we had overnight company mom would always thoroughly clean the house, plan meals, plan tours of Chicago, and then go do laundry for the bed linens after they left. She never wanted to put anyone else through that ...

grammaterry
December 22nd, 2018, 12:07 AM
Its a lot of work to have overnight company. Because we live so rurally, it would be our only choice to put up family and friends. Nearest hotel would be 40 miles. However, I'm generally not very comfortable staying in friends homes. I do stay in my childens homes but always feel a little imposing

jjkaiser
December 22nd, 2018, 01:13 AM
I don't know. I'm just content to stay home. I don't like to travel. And I snore. I like having guests stay in my home though as long as they don't stay too long. Three days is long enough!

Simply Quilting
December 22nd, 2018, 01:51 AM
I think it depends upon the set up of the home and even more so the friends. If there is the space available then staying out a friend's home is fine but if not a hotel would work much better. My in-laws stayed in a hotel when they visited when dh and I were first married because there was no room nor privacy available in the house that we rented. When we visit them, there is the space in both bedrooms and bathrooms.

I know a few couple that when they bought or built a house, they specifically made it so other could easily visit and have privacy.

lourixe
December 22nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
I would say it depends on the length of the stay and how much it interferes with their daily routine. It is ok to stay 1-2 nights with friends that don't work nor have kids to take to school. I am having the same dilemma as the couple we visit every Spring for 2-3 days, have both had cancer surgeries during this year. They insist we stay with them as usual in 2019 but I'd rather we went to a hotel this time.

Claire Hallman
December 22nd, 2018, 04:02 PM
I love staying in a hotel or even better a cruise cabin. We love to travel and cruising is best since you only need to unpack once.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 22nd, 2018, 11:30 PM
Interesting discussion. When we visit DH's family in KS, we stay at a hotel. Although his cousin wants us to stay with them next time we go, we probably would. Their place is clean and the guest room has a separate bathroom on a different level. It's almost the same set up as we have. We could have guests, be separate and private. DH family have not visited Canada in over 25 years and my family is all in town. We have a few friends from out of town, but since they are only an hour away, they don't stay.

When we travel, I like to enjoy the finer things, so we like to stay in hotels and resorts. Claire - we also enjoy cruise suite. I have the brochures out, and looking to planning a trip next year.