PDA

View Full Version : If you plan to give a gift to your mail carrier:

dwil23
December 19th, 2018, 10:17 AM
I posted this in response to another thread in the forum, but wanted to bring it to the attention of everyone who may have missed it. If you give your letter carrier a gift, be it cash, gift card or a gift .
PLEASE PLEASE AND PRETTY PLEASE!
Make sure your return address is on it! That not only will tell them who to thank for it, it will get it too them should it get mixed in with other mail. Every Year, thousands and thousands of gifts for letter carriers end up in the dead letter office because their is no way to get it to "Our Letter Carrier", "World's Best Mailman" or "Mailman Mike". Please put your return address on it and when it gets returned to you - your carrier will then get it.

Merry Christmas to all!

MissMay in Jersey
December 19th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Good and timely reminder Donna. I put our Christmas card & gift to our mail carrier in our mail box this morning, it's addressed to him and the card is signed with our name. This way he picks it up when e delivers our mail today. We'll know that he received it when we receive a Thank You card from him later this week.

Connie Jo
December 19th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I want to know what kind of gifts to give

auntstuff
December 19th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I want to know what kind of gifts to give

As a guideline, they aren't supposed to accept anything valued over $20. I gave mine a keychain with his name on one side, and "I deliver" on the other.

MissMay in Jersey
December 19th, 2018, 11:22 AM
We give our guy $20. Used to be less but he picks up all our outgoing mail as we have to go to the PO to mail anything as there is no longer any mail boxes scattered throughout the town. Our PO is located on a heavily traveled street and it's a horror show to get into or out of it. They don't even have a mail box outside their front door for quick drop off for stamped mail. We usually got to the next town's main PO, longer drive but enough parking as well as easier to get in and out of.

MHG Winnower
December 20th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Good recommendation on the return address.

I posted this on an earlier post.
All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas.

Vonnie
December 23rd, 2018, 11:40 AM
We don't always have the same mail carrier. Also, we are not happy with the service. We are very tired of receiving other peoples mail. My husband got into the habit of "delivering"the mail but I told him to stop and put it in our mail box with a note saying wrong address! Otherwise they will not realize that they put it in the wrong mail box. We had friends that had the same house number as ours but on a different street and the names of the streets where not similar but we used to get their mail several times a year and vice versa. But they have moved so I don't know if the new people toss it in the trash or put it back in the mail box. One year our next door neighbor stopped their mail while on vacation. When they came back they brought us a grocery sack full of our mail!

So we don't tip them. But we have started getting our bills online to eliminate the worry about getting it in the mail.

dwil23
December 23rd, 2018, 10:50 PM
We don't always have the same mail carrier. Also, we are not happy with the service. We are very tired of receiving other peoples mail. My husband got into the habit of "delivering"the mail but I told him to stop and put it in our mail box with a note saying wrong address! Otherwise they will not realize that they put it in the wrong mail box. We had friends that had the same house number as ours but on a different street and the names of the streets where not similar but we used to get their mail several times a year and vice versa. But they have moved so I don't know if the new people toss it in the trash or put it back in the mail box. One year our next door neighbor stopped their mail while on vacation. When they came back they brought us a grocery sack full of our mail!

So we don't tip them. But we have started getting our bills online to eliminate the worry about getting it in the mail.

Have you addressed this with your local postmaster, station manager or delivery supervisor (the title would depend on the size of the station)? If not you should. An occasional error happens, but if it happens this often, that is totally unacceptable!

Quiltfreestyle
December 24th, 2018, 12:45 AM
My daughter in law turned me onto the USPS website & I signed up for “Informed Delivry”. I get an email each morning with a picture of the mail that’s coming & notice of any packages too. I highly recommend this service , it’s free & let’s you know if something should have been delivered & wasn’t. It will notify the post office if you didn’t get something

Vonnie
December 24th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Have you addressed this with your local postmaster, station manager or delivery supervisor (the title would depend on the size of the station)? If not you should. An occasional error happens, but if it happens this often, that is totally unacceptable!

It's been going on for over 20 years! I keep a spread sheet for bills so I know when they are due. We pay our bills online but some still come by mail to us. Figured it would not do any good to complain, might make it worse. It made it worse when I complained to the newspaper office that the person delivering our newspaper always threw it in the middle of the wet grass but always threw the neighbors paper in their driveway. Cancelled the newspaper but can't cancel the mail! Always gave the school bus drivers a little something every Christmas - they really put up with a lot!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 25th, 2018, 01:04 PM
My mail carrier is a gem! He is kind, courteous and says "God Bless" as he ends every conversation with patrons. In the summer of 2017' he pulled up in my driveway and apologized for forgetting to bring me some vacation hold cards which He had promised to deliver to me. next day, he was gone. Weeks went by, I would ask those who were delivering if they knew anything about him. No one knew. I figured he had retired or had been moved to another route. To my amazement, he showed up again this past fall, 15 months later, and guess what he had? My vacation hold cards! Turns out he had spinal surgery to correct a poorly healed injury he sustained while serving in the armed services in Iraq, and was rehabbing from the surgery! So, you better bet he got a Christmas gift from me! I stalked him yesterday and handed it to him in person. I thanked him for his service, both as my mail carrier and for his service as a veteran.

Vonnie
December 25th, 2018, 02:28 PM
My mail carrier is a gem! He is kind, courteous and says "God Bless" as he ends every conversation with patrons. In the summer of 2017' he pulled up in my driveway and apologized for forgetting to bring me some vacation hold cards which He had promised to deliver to me. next day, he was gone. Weeks went by, I would ask those who were delivering if they knew anything about him. No one knew. I figured he had retired or had been moved to another route. To my amazement, he showed up again this past fall, 15 months later, and guess what he had? My vacation hold cards! Turns out he had spinal surgery to correct a poorly healed injury he sustained while serving in the armed services in Iraq, and was rehabbing from the surgery! So, you better bet he got a Christmas gift from me! I stalked him yesterday and handed it to him in person. I thanked him for his service, both as my mail carrier and for his service as a veteran.

Awesome! You should recommend him for a Quilt of Valor.

LLLinda
December 25th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Quiltfreestyle, I just signed up for this free service last week. It is very useful because we get our meds through the mail.