PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: Manitoba, Canada

Star lover
December 4th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Some Interesting Facts about Manitoba:

The word “Manitoba” means where the spirit lives (in languages of the Aboriginal people who first lived in the region). It could also have been derived from “manitou bou” which is Cree for strait of the Great Spirit.

Manitoba basks in more than 2,300 hours of bright sunshine per year with southern Manitoba enjoying up to 16 hours of daylight during peak summer weeks.

Winnipeg was the first city in the world to develop a 911 emergency phone number.

Manitoba has the biggest mating dens anywhere in the world – that is, for red-sided garter snakes. They come out in the thousands in early May to the Narcisse Dens to mix, mingle and mate. Writhing balls of snakes make for great viewing right around Mother’s Day, so be sure to bring Mom!

The Hudson Bay has over 25,000 beluga whales, 3000 of which visit the Churchill area from mid-June to mid-August.

Wapusk National Park in northern Manitoba is the world’s largest denning site for polar bears.

Manitoba has over 100,000 lakes and waterways, the perfect lure for anglers seeking some of the continent’s largest fish.

Manitoba’s Little Limestone Lake is the finest and largest example of a marl lake in the world, meaning it changes color with fluctuations in temperature.

Winnipeg has the largest mature elm tree urban forest in North American with approx. 160,000 elms.

Churchill is one of the top 3 places in the world to observe Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights.

156254. 156255

Manitobans consume the most Slurpees from 7-Eleven in the world. And they've held that title for 16 straight years.

Residents of Churchill, Manitoba are asked to leave their car doors unlocked in case their neighbors need somewhere to escape from a polar bear.

They have the first-ever, and only, polar bear prison for naughty bears who walk saunter into town.

Churchill children are advised not to dress up as polar bears on Halloween so police can tell them apart from actual polar bears.

During the first royal visit to Manitoba in 1939, the king (George VI) and queen (Elizabeth) were met by Mr. King (Mackenzie King, the then-prime minister), and Mr. Queen (the then-mayor of Winnipeg). It was King and King, and Queen and Queen.

Winnie The Pooh was named after Winnipeg, Manitoba.

geegeequilts
December 4th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Love the polar bears, cool about the change in lake colors but DO NOT like snakes of any color!

Still love all the bits of trivia, Anita.

Gina

nativetexan
December 4th, 2018, 04:53 PM
I feel so sorry for some polar bears having trouble finding enough to eat that i cannot watch shows on t.v. about them.

Hulamoon
December 4th, 2018, 07:10 PM
How the heck did they find out they drank the most Slurpees?

Star lover
December 5th, 2018, 07:57 AM
How the heck did they find out they drank the most Slurpees?

7-Eleven stores across Winnipeg sell an average of 188,833 Slurpee drinks per month. The rest of Canada sells an average of 179,700 per month, which makes Winnipeggers the world leader of Slurpee sales.

......mmmmm.....I have ever had a Slurpee......wonder what they're like?

Hulamoon
December 5th, 2018, 09:51 AM
......mmmmm.....I have ever had a Slurpee......wonder what they're like?
Very sweet and cold!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 5th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Very interesting.

I have been to Winnipeg twice in January, 2 years in a row. First time it was above zero, and puddles everywhere. The second time was more typical temperatures of -30s. I have been to Portage and Main, the windiest intersection. Very interesting province.