PDA

View Full Version : It's a new Monday in a new month

Monique
December 3rd, 2018, 08:01 AM
Well well good morning friends. It has been quite the weekend. I worked Friday and after work I got groceries and brought my sister-in-law along. I didn't realize the cupboard was so bare. Saturday was the open house at Bonnie's house and it went very well. There was a good crowd of people that came. The kids were pleased as was I. Also early (around 6:15 am) I decided it was a good time to bring the couch in if we parked the van on the road right outside the front door. So now it is all set up. I wanted to take out the old one right away but nooooooo, we'll do it later. Well later never came and it is still in the living room. Yesterday was a mix of rain and freezing rain so we never left the house. You can't go out if it is raining right? SHEET!! So I sewed all day. Made a table runner for a gift for tomorrow night. Nothing like leaving it till the last minute.

And so this week is a work week. I have a meeting tomorrow night where our secret sisters will be revealed. Then on Wednesday night we have our Christmas Cheer dinner that we do for the seniors who are alone/shut in. No doubt we will serve up at least 125 meals.

The granddoggy comes to us Friday. We are doggy sitting for 3 weeks. They better bring me back something nice from their trip, hahaha. They are going to Spain, Italy and Ireland. I will get pictures for you when I can.

And I have decided not to bring out the huge Christmas tree this year. There is just no room so I saw little 3 feet ones at Giant Tiger that I will get. It will only be Les and I here Christmas day, not sure when Phil and Maizyn are coming. So I am not going to bother and that way Les doesn't have to move furniture. Christmas Day we will go to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's for dinner, so I shall make buns as I usually do for them. Our big DO here is New Year's Eve. We host a seafood fest. YUM YUM!!

So that is what my week is looking like. Wishing each and every one of you a great week, no matter what is on your plate.

Star lover
December 3rd, 2018, 08:08 AM
Good morning Monique and everyone!

Oh Monique, you were on my heart throughout the Weekend. So thankful Bonnie's open house went well.

My, you sure have been and sounds like will continue to be busy! Hope tu have some time just for.....You, you so deserve it!

Yesterday was the nicest day in over a month! 60 and the sun shone.....perfect! The weather guys said there wasn't a single day in November and most of October that got up to 60! I believe it. And so we now start another downward spiral. By Saturday the high will be 25'!!!???? Yikes! But wow, so thankful for yesterday....didn't know how much I missed that golden orb, until it shone so nicely!

Nothin but rain today, so I'm a thinkin .....sewing time! If I can't have sun.....I'm gonna make some of my own. Still in no Christmas mood to decorate.....just might have to make myself do something.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful day......enjoy whatever the day brings.....hoping it's something you love! Hugs for all!

Carol336
December 3rd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Good morning everyone.

Haven't checked yet on the weather, but hoping for some dryness at least. I have a dear friend here in my condo building that has Huntington's disease. She's only 53 and was diagnosed about 2 years ago. I invited her to go to water aerobics with me last summer and as they say "the rest is history." We've definitely bonded. Yesterday was her birthday and so today I'm taking her out for a couple of hours. At first she wanted to go to lunch, but I got a text last night asking if we could go to Ihop for breakfast instead. Seems she's craving green grinches pancakes - whatever that is - LOL. The lord brought this lovely girl into my life for a reason - I'm not certain I'm up to the challenge but I'm giving it my best shot.

Did my last craft show of the season on Saturday.....it was more successful that the previous week, but still not great. However if you put both weeks together I didn't do too bad. I'm trying to decide if I'll do any in the spring. It really is a lot of work for the little bit I seem to make. I did learn that you gotta keep those prices down. I don't think I sold any item over 20.00. So I guess I really have to learn to buy that fabric on sale with coupons....and of course use scraps and shop that stash as much as possible. I really enjoy doing the shows, so hopefully I can get a good handle on this.

Have a great day everyone

baslp
December 3rd, 2018, 09:11 AM
Good morning. It is suppose to reach 50 here today. Then the temp goes down hill. I had a great time at my scrapbook get together. I tend to see these gals once or twice a year. I am off to work out this morning. Our vet will make a house call this afternoon. Then I don’t have to drag 3 dogs down there.

Have a good day.
Beth

Ginny B
December 3rd, 2018, 09:24 AM
Good morning all. Looks like a dryer day than it was yesterday. We were not able to get the lights on the house and the bushes because of the rain and drizzle that stayed around all day. We did get the wreath, garland and some lights on the porch since that is covered. We did, however, get the decorating done inside with the exception of the Christmas tree. That will happen after mid-week next week. I like to keep it up and lit until Jan. 6 so we don't get our tree until mid-December so it doesn't dry out too much. Not sure when we will get the outside lights done. We may just have to work out there in the evenings this week a bit. We have the craft fair next Saturday and I don't know what the weather is going to be like next Sunday so we need to use our opportunity when it happens this week.

Time to get myself going this morning .... so much to accomplish this week. I hope everyone has a good day and a great beginning to the week.

KPH
December 3rd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Good Morning All,

Monique, I'm so glad Bonnie's open house went well. I was thinking of your and her family on Saturday.

I do hope Terry is having a good time. She should have enjoyed the warmth yesterday. Here in Jax it was miserable, hot and so very humid. I wore a sweater to church and was glad to have it on inside, but I was the real sweater when we left! I couldn't wait to get home to change! When Mike and I were out, lots of people had on their shorts and tanks. They were the smart ones.

Today, it's supposed to be in the 70s by Wednesday we'll have highs in low 50s. It certainly is the see saw time of year. I feel for those in south eastern Georgia. I was watching the weather this morning some areas had over 10 inches of rain and were expecting more today with high straight line winds. That's a dangerous combination.

Family dinner is tonight, chicken has been requested. I was talking to Jim about it on the way home. I think we'll have chicken and noodles. Mike and I picked up the noodles, green beans, butternut squash and mashed potatoes. Those little ones need something to put those noodles on so they can eat the soup without making a huge mess.

I didn't go into the sewing room yesterday, but did go to Joanne's and pick up some of their little maker kits. They were on sale buy 1 get 2 free. I'm stocked up for Christmas crafts to do with the grandkids this month. Morgan is off today and tomorrow so I won't have the little ones. Jonathan will be here Wednesday and Thursday. Seems like this week is well planned.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings and prayers for those in Mother Nature's path, she's been quite busy this year!

JCY
December 3rd, 2018, 10:06 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ We had a system come through yest. & bring us some snow late last night. It looks like ~1" on the picnic table. It's mostly on the grassy areas, but the streets look like they could be slick. It's supposed to be only in the 30's today & fairly cool all week.

My Sun. eve. church program I always watch, Rejoice in the Lord, from Pensacola, FL, wasn't on last night. The Daystar network wasn't coming in (we have an antenna in the attic), so I watched 60 Minutes, which mostly was about Pres. Bush's life. One segment was on the Paradise, CA Camp Fire. When they described how fast that fire moved, it's a wonder anyone made it out alive.

Yest. eve. I prepped the celery & carrots for the chicken soup I'll be making this a.m. So I'll be in the kitchen most of the morning.

KarenC
December 3rd, 2018, 10:45 AM
Wow, everyone seems to have had a busy weekend. I did a bit of yard work and also decided on a quilt for niece's wedding. This morning I will head out to the back yard and try to finish weeding those beds. Once that is done, then I can fertilize, mulch and be done till spring. Funny that I enjoy mowing the grass, but not so much working in flower beds.
My DD has a friend that inquired about having a queen and baby quilt made for her son and DIL. I've been dreading giving her a quote, and finally sent it yesterday, thinking no way she'll accept it. Surprise surprise, she's good with it. Now to meet with her about fabric choices and get her 50% deposit. But first I need to finish niece's quilt which has an earlier due date.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 3rd, 2018, 11:06 AM
Good morning forum quilters,

It rained all day yesterday just below the freezing mark, so it was an indoor day. I made the quilted shams for my GF, a set of xmas pillowcases for our bed and 2 fabric books for our 2 youngest GS. This morning's grizzle has turned to light snow, and just above zero. I have the VictorIa quilt group this afternoon, so I will have to be careful not to slip as the ice will be covered.

Monique, I'm glad all went well this weekend at Bonnie's place. You were and will be busy over the coming weeks. Take some time for yourself.

Anita - maybe it's time to re-think your xmas decor. Don't fight it. Do what you feel like doing. I was dragging and forcing myself to decorate. I usually do a lot. This year, I have been selective about the decorations I treasure. It was time to let go of some. No more decorating the basement and other parts of the house. I gave decorations to my DD as she has 3 kiddos. They will enjoy them. I also brought some to a local charity, proceeds going to this year's tornado victims. This made me appreciate and thankful for what I have. I think this Grinch's heart needed to melt and this is a start. I know this time of year can be difficult for a number of reasons. I have not been in the mood to buy any gifts for a few years. I'm not certain this will change, as our kids and GKs, friends have what they need.

GinnyB- we also have been having a lot of rain, which means only some of the lights are up. DH has found that nighttime is best to put up lights, as you can see the placement. We're hoping to get them up before the temps turn cold.

carol336 - your friend is fortunate to have found you. I don't question, things always happen for a reason

This week should be relatively quiet, so I am hoping I can get indoor tasks done.

Enjoy your day. Be safe. Be warm. Be cool. Hugs to those in need.

Navy Wife
December 3rd, 2018, 11:44 AM
It has been busy around my house. A good friend moved in with us last week. She sold her house in the mountains, and has not found a house in town as yet. I'm so glad she is off the mountain! She stays isolated for days at a time in the winter. We are enjoying our time together and looking for a condo for her.

We had excitement around the house yesterday when Ellie, the cat, decided to take a stroll around the yard when my back was turned. She never offers to go further than the steps, but temptation got to her. We called and looked and waited for a couple of hours. At dinner time, I went back out and called her for dinner. Heard a weak little meow. She was under the steps to the porch. We have a lattice all around the porch and steps to keep critters out. Didn't bother her! But getting out was different...don't ask me why. I got her out, and she was one happy cat. I didn't think she would go too far. She has been here 8 years, but she was a stray when we got her from the shelter. She still remembers how it feels to be cold and hungry, nd she prefers the life of luxury!

Snow is predicted here this week, so I need to restock the pantry and freezer. An inch paralyzes this part of the country. We haven't had anything but a dusting in 2 or 3 years.

Y'all have a good day and week. Praying for those in need.

chelea
December 3rd, 2018, 02:06 PM
56 and sunny today! I actually opened some windows. I love to open up all the windows in the winter as I'm cleaning, just to bring in the fresh air.
We had a busy weekend with decorating for Christmas. Didn't start out too well with the tree...it is pre-lit but one section wasn't cooperating so I had to add a set of lights. This year, since the entire family won't be here, I've decided to scale back quite a bit, so instead of taking days and days to decorate, I'm done in less than 2. Here's our front door, plain and simple:

Hope you find some time to sew today.

grammaterry
December 3rd, 2018, 07:50 PM
I know its late and I'll probably miss most of you, but I'm home. It was cold in Florida. Got there late afternoon Monday and it rained Tuesday, dropped to 34 degrees Tuesday night, but...the good news that same night it was -5 here in the mountains. Saturday we were in St Augustine and had a nice warm day (I still wore a sweater) and Sunday it got nice and warm but I was in the airport waiting for a plane...But, it was a change of routine and I'm really glad to be home.
My friend (whom I hadn't seen in 7 years is crazy as ever...although we had never vacationed to gether) really loves consignment shops. We must have spent 5 days seeing all of them in Daytona Beach. She must have bought 20 outfits. I bought a wool sweater and a pair of jeans. I talked her into touring on Saturday in St Augustine. She really likes to eat...We went to restaurants 5 times a day. I'm going to diet for weeks I guess. It will take some time to adjust back to normal.
I missed my sewing machine....Didn't have time to play today.
The weather today was great so I went Christmas tree hunting and found a cute white pine and cut it down and drug it home and decorated it today before the snow comes later in the week. I enjoyed getting out and walking and communing with nature.
I love being home. I did miss all of you.

JCY
December 3rd, 2018, 07:59 PM
Hi, Terry ~ Glad you're safely home & found a tree to decorate. You're fortunate to have your own trees. It can cost up to $75. for a fresh tree from those who sell them. The fresh ones smell so nice. We have an artificial table tree. I leave it decorated & just cover it up with a plastic bag before storing it in the bsmt. It's very handy just to have it ready to set out each year. That's the only decoration I put up each year. It's just the two of us. When I was younger, had kids at home & more energy, we did a lot of decorating.

KarenC
December 3rd, 2018, 09:41 PM
Welcome back Terry. Glad you had a good time with your GF and that you made it home safely. Kudos on the tree. I have put mine up, but it is only decorated with the pre-lit lights so far. Maybe I should get that other crate down now.

grammaterry
December 3rd, 2018, 09:58 PM
here is the white pine I cut today...before and after. We have hundreds of these crowding eachother so I always pick one in the middle so that the outside ones can continue to grow.156241156242Kind of thin . We call them Charlie Brown trees but they don't cost 45$ AND THEY make us smile

Caroline T.
December 3rd, 2018, 10:25 PM
here is the white pine I cut today...before and after. We have hundreds of these crowding eachother so I always pick one in the middle so that the outside ones can continue to grow.156241156242Kind of thin . We call them Charlie Brown trees but they don't cost 45$ AND THEY make us smile

Terry, it's beautiful! Reminds me of my grandmother's Christmas trees, but I don't think hers were white pine, more likely Florida Scrub Pune.

KPH
December 3rd, 2018, 10:30 PM
Welcome home Terry! Glad you had a great time. I was hoping you got to enjoy at least one day of warm weather.

I love your tree!

chelea
December 3rd, 2018, 11:06 PM
Welcome back Terry! Nice to have a change of scenery once in a while but oh so sweet to come home, right? I love your sweet tree.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 4th, 2018, 12:29 AM
Welcome back Terry. It may not have been the weather you wanted, but a change of place. Love your tree.

I just had a call from the nurse at my mom's residence. She had a fall and they have called the ambulance. They will take X-rays of her hip as she is in pain. I will go to the hospital as soon as I know which one the paramedics bring her to. This is where I wish I had a small hand sewing project to bring along. I will post as soon as I know anything.

JCY
December 4th, 2018, 01:38 AM
Terry ~ What a cute tree. No wonder you were able to drag it home yourself because it's smaller.

Suzanne ~ I hope your mom will be ok. The elderly always are at risk to fall. Hope she didn't fracture anything.

I worked on Christmas cards again this eve. My order from Christian Book Distributors came ~ 5:30, delivered by FedEx. Since my order was >$35., shipping was free. Ordered on the 26th (Cyber Monday specials) & came today, which I thought was pretty fast. The projected delivery date was on the 5th. I ordered several books for Christmas gifts, some boxed greeting cards, & 3 books for myself. Francine Rivers is one of my favorite authors; I ordered her latest book. One can get some good bargains by shopping the bargain section & being willing to purchase a "slightly imperfect" item.

Well, it's time to get ready for bed. The temp. is supposed to drop into the mid-teens tonight. Brrr.