PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking up for mom & me

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 25th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Well some of you may have heard my whining and rants regarding my need to get staff at mom's nursing home to take care of my mom.

In their defence, Mom had been refusing help with dressing and bathing, and this has been becoming a serious hygiene issue. If she refused, they walked away. Easy for them, but I had to pick up the slack. Changing mom's linens, doing laundry and changing her and checking for sores. Well about 10 days ago, I lost it with her and them. I told them I would no longer be doing her laundry, and they should do her daily routine. Then I waited as I was busy with my own life.

I figured my mom was mad at me since she wasn't answering calls. She doesnt have screening. Then I realized she probably knocked out the plug from the wall or put the phone on silence. I called staff numerous times to check on phone, which they never did. this morning, I called staff again and insisted they go to her room. She called me back to say her phone was defective and out of order. I spoke to my mom from the nurse's station and she was glad to hear from me. She thought I was mad at her, but I am really sick today and my voice is hoarse, so she realized I have been sick. I don't visit when I am sick.

She was glad to hear about her GS graduation and told her I would show pictures when I visit when I am well. My DD will go look for a phone today and set it up.

During this time, she was happy to tell me she has a new friend, Louis. He has been coming to get her to attend the daily activities and concerts. He's a retired schoolteacher from a village near where she was born. She said it's nice to have someone to talk to, that is still what she describes as normal. My parents were together for nearly 60 years. Then years after he died, she had a good companion for 13 years and he died last year. I know companionship is important as we age. Yeah. My prayers have been answered.

Now I can begin to focus on having pleasant visits with my mom, as they should be. I have hope.

jjkaiser
November 25th, 2018, 02:32 PM
What a nice turn of events for your mom. Hope you are feeling better soon too.

Monique
November 25th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Now that she has a companion, her personal hygiene may improve as well (this comes off sounding harsh, but it is not my intent to be harsh). Here is hoping it all goes well for both of you.

KPH
November 25th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Suzanne, it sounds like things are improving, I hope they continue! Now that she has a friend to do things with, maybe things will continue on an upward path.

KarenC
November 25th, 2018, 05:35 PM
That's good news. Let's pray it continues.

Bubby
November 25th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Good news to hear your Mom has a companion and is making a positive turn. Having been a caretaker I understand the worry and frustration you have been carrying. Maybe things will smooth out for you some, too.

LLLinda
November 25th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Has the staff care improved any? If not you may need to report them.

Star lover
November 26th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Ah, the Lord answered prayers and I'm so very happy.....for all of you!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 26th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Has the staff care improved any? If not you may need to report them.

I am still sick so I can't check on that. I am hoping to go later this week if I stop coughing and feel stronger.

My mom confirmed they are doing her laundry. So to see if she is more agreeable to accepting assistance with hygiene. Maybe she will have more pride, as I wrote on another post, she has met a new beau.

201 Treadler
November 26th, 2018, 01:53 PM
hope you feel better soon with improved energy. :D
am pleased your mum has made a friend too, :D
fingers are crossed you find the situations as you expect when visit xx