PDA

View Full Version : Received my 1st Christmas gift.

MissMay in Jersey
November 15th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Last night there was a big box at our front door and inside was a big lovely potted plant from our friend Ellen,
she does her Christmas gifting around Thanksgiving. She even invited DH and I for Thanksgiving dinner at her nephew's home in Connecticut. Only gift she wants is a big box of my homemade biscotti! When she was first divorced and living in an apartment I used to send her a small decorated Christmas tree but she prefers the biscotti so I always make a batch for her. Old friends are the best friends even when you now are many miles apart.

cv quilter
November 15th, 2018, 11:30 AM
What a sweet surprise! You will enjoy that potted plant for a long time, always reminded about your lovely friend. You're right, old friends and the best! I have a friend who I met in 1969 when I moved to AZ from NY. We have remained friends all these years, she lives in Phx and I am here in Prescott/Chino Valley. We are only about 125 miles apart but it's enough that we don't get together often, but we stay in touch via phone. When we talk on the phone we spend about an hour catching up on each other's busy lives.

Ginny B
November 15th, 2018, 12:01 PM
What a nice gift. I met my bff Sharon when I was living in California. We are still very close even though there is a whole country between us. She is also a quilter. :icon_bigsmile: . We stay in touch through phone, emails, text, etc.

Carolyn
November 15th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Old friends are the best! Mine is over eight hundred miles away. Still at times she is right here with me.

pcbatiks
November 15th, 2018, 04:29 PM
That is wonderful....your post made me smile!

jjkaiser
November 15th, 2018, 05:19 PM
You have an amazing friendship with her, and that is a gift in itself. I can't tell you how many friends I have had who moved, got divorced, remarried, etc and we have completely lost contact.

grammaterry
November 15th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Its so easy to get disconnected from Friends. I'm glad your is there for you. I moved here almost 40 years ago fromUtah and kept in touch with friends there for 25 years as I would go there to visit family. Now that I'm not traveling there it seems I've lost touch with those girlfriends. Sad, but true.

JCY
November 16th, 2018, 12:14 AM
Terry ~ As long as you're on the Forum, you've got a whole boatload of friends!

I think life gets so hectic, that people don't make the effort or take the time to keep in touch. My parents, family, & friends were great letter writers. I'm talking prior to the internet & all the electronic devices people have now & when long distance calling was costly. Posting things on social media does not provide that personal touch like a letter, card, or phone call. I still send out an annual Christmas letter with my cards -- something I've been doing since 1971 -- a tradition my parents started many years ago. It's still enjoyable to get snail mail. Of course, now that the price of stamps is up to 50 cents each, that adds up in a hurry.