PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Flooring

TMP
November 12th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I am wondering if any of you have any experience with the new vinyl flooring that looks like wood?

My downstairs den is on concrete and I would have really l like to have hardwood like the upstairs but they say they can't install it on concrete. Back in May when I turned on the air, the pump failed and flooded the area. I put off getting this fixed. Good news, my homeowners insurance is covering it. ( that is another story) ( nothing is ever easy).

This will be the only floor I ever put down in this area. They told me that it is water proof and if I have water damage again all they do is come out remove the floor let it dry and reinstall it. It does look like wood. The room is where the grandkids hangout and my always shedding lab stays. I am just a little scarred to put down a product I know nothing about.

Hulamoon
November 12th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I don't have any experience with it, but looked at a lot of them when I renovated my aunts house in Calif. I put in carpet instead. I almost regret it because I have to pay for carpet cleaning now. There are some really nice ones out there now, even at Home Depot. Good luck with your choice!

KPH
November 12th, 2018, 02:28 PM
My son put the vinyl planks in his kitchen to office (a third of the house). They love it, and he learned a lot putting it down himself (like when your wife works nights in the ER it takes three times as long to do the job, because she needs to sleep during the days).

The clean up is easy with three little kids. So far, it's durable, but it's only been about 5 months.

LindaKay75
November 12th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I know of a lady that did her entire house with the vinyl flooring, thru Home Depot. She loves it!
I've never had any experience with it but after talking with her I've decided to do my kitchen floor with it.
Good luck on your decision. If you can do it yourself you'd save some $$$. Unfortunately, I'd have to go
with the Home Depot contractor.

DeniseSm
November 12th, 2018, 02:45 PM
I have only started learning about vinyl flooring. Here is an informative article

https://floorcritics.com/vinyl-plank/

Carlie Wolf
November 12th, 2018, 02:55 PM
I think our landlord put in vinyl flooring in some of his places.
Granted he rents out the places. He's had problems but I believe that when you wash it you only use a damp mop, not sloshing water all over the floor. The renters aren't mopping it properly and in some places the vinyl is coming up. Maybe check that out?

hummm, wait a minute...maybe that was laminated? Maybe there is a difference?

laura44
November 12th, 2018, 03:59 PM
I had it in my old house, loved it. Just sweep or a lightly damp mop.
The room looks nice with it. Bring a few samples home to audition the
color in your own light. So much easier than cleaning the carpet but
not as warm. You can always throw a area rug on it for color.

TMP
November 12th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I have a Shark steam mop that I love and plan on using it on the floor . (best thing they ever invented) It has 3 settings of steam and it is almost dry before I finish. I love this thing because there is no stinky mop to have around and I have a clean pad to use each time I mop.

KPH
November 12th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I have a Shark steam mop that I love and plan on using it on the floor . (best thing they ever invented) It has 3 settings of steam and it is almost dry before I finish. I love this thing because there is no stinky mop to have around and I have a clean pad to use each time I mop.

I love my Shark steam mop, too. lol, I think I'm on my third one!

Hulamoon
November 12th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I have one of those shark mops too and never used it yet! I need to do some spring cleaning or fall cleaning. lol

SuzyQue
November 12th, 2018, 05:55 PM
We put vinyl planking in a new room addition a little over a year ago. My husband installed it and it was pretty easy.....all tongue and groove. It is definitely water proof! We installed a spa in this room and the water splashing and dripping has presented no issues. Read the care instructions before install. I just sweep ours, or dust mop.....no vacuum. I have a Bono mop I use to wash it. I love my shark steam mop and use it a lot, but not in there. It looks as good as it did at install. We are planning on putting it in our bathrooms next. The floor has a little grip to it and not as slick as tile or lineoleum and we don’t find it as cold on the feet. We love it!

Nwmnteacher
November 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I've had the vinyl wood-look flooring in my kitchen/dining area, livingroom and all three bedrooms for over 6 yrs now. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and it's held up so well. It's waterproof, cleans up very easily. I love that it doesn't have the loud clicking sound from shoes that some laminates have. We installed it ourselves.

Jeanne

bakermom
November 13th, 2018, 01:30 PM
My son just put some down in his kitchen. Loves it. He's thinking of re-doing both bathrooms with it in the future. He and his wife did it themselves.

MRoy
November 13th, 2018, 02:08 PM
We put vinyl plank over concrete in the house we built for our farm worker almost 2 years ago. So far it's fine, including dealing with a water heater leak.

dwil23
November 14th, 2018, 06:20 AM
I have it in two rooms directly on the concrete. I LOVE it!. One room gets a ton of wear as the dogs spend most of their time in there and it has held up so well - even after four years.

Bubby
November 14th, 2018, 10:21 AM
We put premium vinyl plank flooring in the kitchens of three of our apartments. They look great but time will tell if they hold up. Our installer told us that if it is applied directly on top of concrete that it's best to use a pad because you lose the R-Factor and your floors are quite cold. We didn't use a pad because it was in a kitchen but it's something to think about.

MissMay in Jersey
November 14th, 2018, 10:41 AM
We've had Prego (sp?) plank flooring in our den, installed with padding over concrete for the last 15 years with no problems. I just damp mop it like the installer told us and it always looks great. I chose a medium oak wood, kind of a shiny real wood look.

There is also a flexible vinyl strip flooring in wood tones but I don't have any experience with that.

jjkaiser
November 14th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Haha MissMay, thank you for the morning laugh! Prego is a brand of spaghetti sauce. Pergo is flooring. I think you need another cup of coffee!!

kaydee
November 14th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I have the new vinyl flooring that looks like wood in a bathroom that gets little use. I like it. We put it in ourselves (comes in plan-like pieces), and it was pretty easy.

HOWEVER, I would not advice putting vinyl flooring in a basement. We put sheet vinyl in a very big laundry/storage room, and it starting turning colors from moisture in the concrete within a year.

My advice is, if you can afford it, and you like the look of wood, install the wood-look ceramic tile. I've heard great things about it as far as looks go, you're not going to get mold issues with it, and if your basement should ever get somekind of "flood" (from whatever source) I think it will stand up to it.

That's what I plan to put in my basement should the carpet ever get wet again.

tamsterg7
November 15th, 2018, 02:06 AM
We just relocated from MO to GA (long story & why I haven't posted much). Bought a new home, which is a slab (first time not having a basement) Our entire downstairs is planked wood look flooring, and I really like it - and it's on concrete. It is very dark, rich brown color, like walnut, and looks lovely, but does show every spec dropped, dust, etc. My only advice is choose your color carefully or be prepared to run that dust mop every day!

lots2do
November 15th, 2018, 09:43 AM
We have it in a nice driftwood shade in a three season (well, really two season) enclosed porch. It's pretty and practical. Easier on the feet than tile, too.

MissMay in Jersey
November 15th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Haha MissMay, thank you for the morning laugh! Prego is a brand of spaghetti sauce. Pergo is flooring. I think you need another cup of coffee!!
LOL, I certainly do need more coffee. I knew it was one of those spellings, must have been thinking of tonight's dinner.