PDA

View Full Version : Popping in to say hello and ask for prayers

GuitarGramma
November 10th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Hello dear quilty friends,

I haven't been on the Forum in ages, and I apologize. It started in September, when I was running a Silent Auction which took all my free time. The auction portion of our fundraising luncheon garnered $4,300 for our local cloistered nuns, so I felt really good about the results. I had made a wall hanging quilt that had many, many bids and sold for $165. I was so glad that people loved the quilt.

Then I immediately packed up and drove 500 miles to be on baby watch, as DD#4 was expecting her second little one. Two days later, she delivered a beautiful baby girl named Faye. Holding that little darling and helping out with her big sister was just amazing.

A couple of weeks later, my step-father—he and my mother live in the same town as DD#4—fell gravely ill. He was rushed into emergency surgery, and they had to remove 5 meters of his intestines. There is a very high mortality rate for this illness, as high as 70%, but my 91-year old step-father beat the odds. He has passed every milestone except one. He is still not able to swallow liquids due to the damage done to his throat from being on a ventilator for two days.

I'd appreciate prayers that his ability to swallow returns. He will then be able to move from hospital to skilled nursing. Eventually he will move to assisted living. My mother is very resistant to moving to assisted living, so please also pray that we help her to understand that her husband (44 years and counting!) cannot live at home ever again.

Thank you. I'll be back on the Forum in a couple of weeks, and in the meantime, I appreciate your prayers.

jjkaiser
November 10th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Have missed you on the Forum. Oh my you have alot going on. I am not a religious person, okay actually atheist, but of course will be thinking of you and your family, and hoping your step father recovers his swallowing ability. I hate it when medical procedures fix the one thing they are supposed to but something else gets broken in in the process. Hugs. Things will get better.

Sandy Navas
November 10th, 2018, 07:43 PM
You've got it, Toni - quadrupled from me!!

KPH
November 10th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Lifting prayers, it's hard when parents don't understand why things can't be the way they were. It's very hard to give up that independence.

Praying for a full recovery for your step father, and wisdom and understanding for your mom.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 10th, 2018, 09:17 PM
You are in my thoughts and sending good wishes that you step dad's health improves. Your biggest challenge will definitely be dealing with your mom, and in helping her face the reality that her life will need to change. Hopefully she is not resistant. But given what I have seen with family and friend's aging parents, this can be a big struggle.

Congratulations on the new grand daughter. I feel for you, as we are both the spam meat between sliced bread.

Rhonda K
November 10th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Special thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

JCY
November 11th, 2018, 01:40 AM
Thoughts & prayers for you & your loved ones. Hopefully the swallowing issue will be resolved with time & healing.

Judy, USMC
November 11th, 2018, 02:20 AM
Toni - prayers are with you and especially praying for your mom. It's hard to accept, after 40+ years together. that some things HAVE TO change. Also prayers that his ability to swallow will return.

Anitamae56
November 11th, 2018, 02:22 AM
Praying and many thoughts sent your way.

dwil23
November 11th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Prayers for you and yours.....

KarenC
November 11th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Prayers for your family during this time. Congrats on the new grandbaby.

cv quilter
November 11th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Prayers are being said...power of prayer is real.

MissMay in Jersey
November 11th, 2018, 11:57 AM
We're glad you shared your news especially the Good News about little Faye, prayers going for your step dad and mom during their difficult life changing time. As aging parents DH and I know those hard to accept decisions may be ours some day soon.

Suzette
November 11th, 2018, 12:25 PM
You have been missed. I pray all goes well with your step father and for your mother's peace of mind. Hugs!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 12th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Toni, I have missed you! Just found my Stars and Stripes kit the other day and thought of you! So sorry to hear your Step father is so gravely ill, my prayers are with him as he heals. Sounds like a very successful auction you ran, congratulations! So glad you checked in and let us know what is happening with you and the family. I hope you all are safe from the fires out in CA. Congratulations on the birth of that new baby!

Monique
November 12th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Welcome back. You have been busy. Congratulations on your new grand baby. I will also add my prayers to the list here.