PDA

View Full Version : Home selling help! (long one)

Carolnnc
November 8th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone. I have been coming to the Forum each day but not much time to comment. Reading your Forum comments are helping me to stay sane.

I really need your advice & comments.

We are in the waiting process before the house closes on Nov. 26th. My realtor said she had an email from the buyers agent who said the home inspection went well. We are waiting on the appraiser to come.

The buyers asked for $3,000 closing costs & everyone I know has said that in our market that was nuts & we should have said no. (I felt pushed by our realtor & DH)
Now my agent called & said she got a text from the buyers agent that they have a "small" list of things they want fixed. I told DH & our realtor that I am not fixing one more thing. Our realtor is frustrated with me & I am not happy with her either. Although I haven't seen the list I know it's not something structural, systems related or unsafe.
Our house is 11 years old and I have taken extremely good care of the inside & outside. I have spent $500 painting the inside, $1000 on the garage door, $400 with the electrician, $600 on all new faucets, $900 on the HVAC and $400 on wall art & curtains. Five months ago we put up a very nice six foot black fence around the back yard to the tune of $5,500. (my emergency credit card has melted)
We need every dime we make off this house to buy the next one.

I know the buyers put down money on a house & walked away. I am willing to bet they won't walk away this time due to the reasons that made them choose our house. We had 8 great offers and 2 back up offers. I still have people pulling in my driveway wanting to get on the list. If they walk away due to trivial requests we won't have a problem getting another offer.

Is this sound reasoning on my side?
They make walk away, they may bluff that they will walk away, they may ask to split the cost of "repairs" or they may still insist we pay up. At any of those points my answer is still no. Also they came to the house with their agent so they saw what it looked like & if they weren't happy they should have keep looking.

I really need help figuring out how to handle this before my realtor comes by with the list. We have found a house that we are 97% sure we want to purchase so going back on the market is a stressful thought but I will if needed.

If you have sold a house or houses have you told buyers no to a "fix everything" list so they get a "brand new" house? If so how did it go? Did you have to concede & fix something? Lose the sale?

This is a short youtube video in case you want to see the home video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-SBTSw59bM

This is the listing page:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/921-S-Mineral-Springs-Rd_Durham_NC_27703_M64462-52103

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Sorry this is so long.

Claire Hallman
November 8th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Don't fix what you don't want to fix. Fix something if you want to but don't let the realtor buffalo you. She can fix it if it is that important to make the sale.
Try standing in front of a mirror and saying no, no, no.

Grey Lady
November 8th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Buying and selling a home is stressful. Maybe, before deciding, ask to see the list. They may be things you would do anyway. With small money. Also, consider the time of year. While many may say they're interested in your home, they probably don't want to move at Christmas. You may be be starting all over again.

Star lover
November 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM
I haven't sold a house, so no help there. We're hoping to sell out in a few years and more......we'll kinda your neck of the world.

I watched the video....your house is IMMACULATE! I agree, the stuff they must want done, must be small stuff.....they're going to push, and, if you move, they'll be happy. But I'm thinking they're already happy. Maybe they're agent is making suggestion to justify themselves?
If they present a legitimate item, consider it, do or don't, the choice is yours. Don't be pushed into doing it. I don't think you'll get anymore for it and the sale will drag as the waiting game goes on.

I'm happy for you, I know you've been wanting to sell and move on....this could be it. Breathe.......it'll all be fantastic!

Heather
November 8th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Take a look at the list. It may not be bad. Remember you have the option to accept or decline the extras. If you tell them to forget it, and the buyers don't like it, they can pound sand. Enter the other offers. The vibe I'm getting from your post is the realtor is aware you need the funds for the new home and is bullying you into something you don't want to do. Devils advocate - it might be the best offer you'll get and she knows it, and she just wants to get it wrapped up for you. I wish you well, it's very stressful.

jjkaiser
November 8th, 2018, 06:10 PM
We sold our 100 year old house 8 years ago. When the home inspection report came in our realtor said it was the longest list of things needed fixing that he ever saw in 30 years of being a realtor. The buyers didn't ask us to fix anything or insist on a price adjustment. They were a young couple, this was their first house, and I honestly think their realtor did a pretty crummy job representing them. We would have shared some repair costs if pushed, bc we had no backup offers and already picked out another house we wanted to buy. One issue came up was they needed a new roof in order to get the loan and insurance. We had to pay for the new roof bc the home was in our name, but the buyers then added that to the purchase price and completely reimbursed us, when we would have gone 50/50 on that if asked. The buyer said he was good at fixing things and could do almost all the stuff on the to do list. Since you have backups and other people wanting to get a crack at your house, I would draw that line in the sand and tell your buyers No more! Take it or leave it. And if they walk away you can fall back on the others. You have spent a ton getting your house ready to sell and I think enough is enough. I love watching shows like House Hunters but I think they give new buyers unreasonable expectations. For example, If they don't like your counter tops why should you pay so they can get them updated how they want. Anything cosmetic should be on them. It's okay to say no and not feel guilty.

DeniseSm
November 8th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Look at the list before you decide. Then discuss it with your DH. This should be a joint decision. Feel absolutely free to say no, but be prepared to listen fully to what DH says.

Were the other offers as good?

One last thought, you and DH are the ones paying the 6% commission to sell the house. Your agent is supposed to be working on your side.

KPH
November 8th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I agree, look at the list and discuss with DH. You are under no obligation to fix anything- the contracts we signed in NC all said sold AS IS and our agent told us anything we chose to fix would be a kindness on our part.

The list of fixes our buyers wanted was pages long. We picked the easiest couple and said no to the rest... they had the nerve to want all of the windows replaced! Bet you can guess what my DH said about that!

Breathe and pray about it. Since you have other offers, you have the upper hand in negotiations.

Carolnnc
November 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Look at the list before you decide. Then discuss it with your DH. This should be a joint decision. Feel absolutely free to say no, but be prepared to listen fully to what DH says.

Were the other offers as good?

One last thought, you and DH are the ones paying the 6% commission to sell the house. Your agent is supposed to be working on your side.

Two offers at list, three above list but the same amount and the one we took was $5000 over but they asked for a little over $3000 closing costs.

DH feels like I do but is mild mannered so won't say much. He'll let me fight the battles.

Thank you for pointing out that I'm PAYING my agent to sell MY house. So she needs to cool her jets and work for me!

Carolnnc
November 8th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Don't fix what you don't want to fix. Fix something if you want to but don't let the realtor buffalo you. She can fix it if it is that important to make the sale.
Try standing in front of a mirror and saying no, no, no.

Thank you:)

auntstuff
November 8th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Stick to your "no". They are just trying to get a few changes at YOUR expense.

Judy, USMC
November 8th, 2018, 06:55 PM
My first question would be who is this agent ... is she the buyer's agent, your (seller's) agent or a dual agent? Is the company her's; that is is she the Broker? It makes a difference to recognize where she's coming from. As a former NC Licensed Home Inspector I'd be interested in looking at the findings. I'll pm you later tonight and maybe help interpret what is considered necessary under the law.

LizTheScot
November 8th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I've sold a few times over the years and the only time I have made repairs is when the item came up on inspection and the buyer wanted it fixed. All were minor / not safety related. My 2 cents - if any of the items on the list seem legitimate , and assuming it is legal to do so, tell them that the cost of any 'repairs' would need to come from the $3,000 closing costs but they can't have both. You are under no obligation to accept any of their conditions, especially for a beautiful house that you have other people interested in. Good luck!

pcbatiks
November 8th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I'm of no help with suggestions..........just wanted to say you have a beautiful home and I love the deck and backyard.

Granny Fran
November 8th, 2018, 08:27 PM
We had a similar problem/situation with a young couple (many years ago). After making many concessions and throwing in all the appliances (including the w/d, d/w, stove and new fridge) they asked for a new roof on the unattached garage. The home inspection was perfect BTW. That is when I said: If you want to go back to the original offer and start over fine, or just take it as is right now. The two realtors decided to pay for the garage roof ($500) out of their commissions. If your realtor wants this sale bad enough she will do whatever it takes. Also we were told the buyers were preapproved, but found out they were not. We almost lost the home we wanted because of all the foot dragging. Thankfully it turned out well.

Keep in mind the realtor is supposed to be working for you and if she isn't I am sure there will be another that will be happy to help you. Also if you have any concerns your best interests are not being met, make an inquiry at the Board of Realtors. They oversee the agents and want to make sure they are doing their due diligence. You wouldn't take your car to a shoddy mechanic and you should view this transaction like that as well. Too many times we feel pressured buying/selling a home and it doesn't need to be that nerve wracking. You are paying dearly for a service and deserve the best. Our last realtor was perfect and very experienced and did everything to make sure it was as stress free as possible.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I hate to see someone being taken advantage of. Standing up for yourself is not being mean/rude. This is a business transaction and you have every right to be firm in your decision. Remember to breathe...everything will work out.

grammaterry
November 8th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I looked at your listing. In your price point there are not that many great homes that are as nice and have great yards.
Unless it is mandatory under NC law, like termite, forget it. Your realtor has the commission to work with for closing the deal. If she is not the broker, she will make $3K as the listing agent minimum. She represents you and should have already told the selling agent you were done when you conceded to the closing costs. Tell her to get some b***s and stand up for her client and not for her commission.

Carolnnc
November 8th, 2018, 10:27 PM
I looked at your listing. In your price point there are not that many great homes that are as nice and have great yards.
Unless it is mandatory under NC law, like termite, forget it. Your realtor has the commission to work with for closing the deal. If she is not the broker, she will make $3K as the listing agent minimum. She represents you and should have already told the selling agent you were done when you conceded to the closing costs. Tell her to get some b***s and stand up for her client and not for her commission.

Thanks Terry, It took your straight to the point remark to get Rick to completely understand what I'd been trying to tell him. Our realtor made me so mad that I hung up on her today. When it gets to that point I get bull headed and I WILL stop being nice and get my way.

Carlie Wolf
November 8th, 2018, 10:33 PM
I think enough is enough. You've already spent far to much. My feeling is people like that will never stop looking for every nickle and it will probably go on to the closing and counting light bulbs if you give in anymore. It sounds like you have plenty of people who are interested. So I wouldn't worry about that. As far as your agent is concerned, some of them forget who their client is as it gets closer to the closing. She needs to be reigned in firmly.

Midge
November 8th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Frankly I'm a little shocked at how much you have already spent on repairs. Remember every dollar comes out of your downpayment on your next home. The agent is _supposed_ to be working for YOU, not the buyers. The agent senses that you are very eager to sell and you have probably already made that clear to her. So she is working you. Her tone is all wrong. All wrong. Believe me when I say that the agents are probably comparing notes and they have told the buyers how eager you are to sell. Now is the time to take a deep breath and total those repairs. Remind yourself that the offer was fair to begin with. Then ask yourself if all these people are using you at this point and no one is thinking of your best interest. Practice in the mirror what you want to say to your realtor and write it out if necessary. Call her and tell her your final thoughts. "I've made X dollars in repairs and the house was in extremely good condition before I put in that money. It's all I'm willing to do. If they don't want the house let me know it when the next showing will be by Sunday." Think of the broken record technique. "no I won't do that." "No, I won't do that." etc.

MillieS
November 9th, 2018, 07:35 AM
We have sold three houses in the last 20 years and I have never (and never would) spent all the money you have to get the house ready to put on the market. The only things we did was if the inspection found something that needed to be fixed. We have never had buyers ask for us to do anything. When your realtor is telling you what the buyers want ask her if she is going to take less commission. Bet she will change her tune then.

Bubby
November 9th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Stand your ground and say NO! Your realtor is trying to work both sides of the fence and is only interested in the commission. You listed with her and she is supposed to work on your behalf, not the other way around!

Monique
November 9th, 2018, 08:34 AM
I have never sold a house so I have no advice to give. Wishing you the best of luck.

KarenC
November 9th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I sold mine a few years ago. Got a very strong offer and then came with a list of things they said needed fixing. I didn't agree with everything, but agreed to a dollar amount for them to fix. Later came back asking for more money to fix something else. My response to my realtor was that I was not selling a brand new house and was not hiding the fact that the home was 30 years old, so NO. Later the appraisal came in much lower than the offer, so they came back with an offer between the two. I countered and they accepted.

More than you probably want to know, but keep in mind that in the end the appraisal can change the situation. Also think about the value of the amount of stress you'really willing to deal with either with this buyer or a new one. Good luck.

laura44
November 9th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Remember the buyers want to get as much as they can from you,
and have nothing to lose by asking.
I have sold 5 homes. The last sale went on forever. You only have to
fix severe structural or things like mold. I know it's hard not
to get angry, just be firm on your decision. The goal is to sell and move on. Good luck!

tsladaritz
November 9th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Remember the buyers want to get as much as they can from you,
and have nothing to lose by asking.
I have sold 5 homes. The last sale went on forever. You only have to
fix severe structural or things like mold. I know it's hard not
to get angry, just be firm on your decision. The goal is to sell and move on. Good luck!

Good advice! I had people ask me how I could not be offended by needed changes. I told them it is business. You have to take emotions out of it if you want to sell the house. Like when you prep it by repainting, removing things. You fix it for potential buyers not how you want to live. We sold our big house last year and downsized.

NancyR
November 12th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Hello. We have a different system for buying and selling homes in England but it's still as stressful as buyers can be really nit-picking over the smallest things. One apartment we sold, we'd completely redecorated, had a new carpet laid throughout, new kitchen (including appliances) and new fitted bedroom, all a month before putting it in the hands of a selling agent. The buyers wanted us to come down in price by 11,000. Why? They didn't like the colour of one wall in the sitting room. What they really meant was that they didn't have enough to buy at the asking price. So I said no. My husband wasn't happy but a lovely couple offered us the asking price just a week later which we accepted.

Your house is beautiful and, I have to say, in England that beautiful location would be snapped up in a heartbeat. Your potential buyers clearly can't recognise a stunning house and lack the imagination to see themselves sitting on your veranda soaking in that view. If you have others who are on your list then let these buyers know it and that you will not do another thing to the house; my goodness, you've spent more than enough already. Stick to your principles. If it's YOUR agent who's asking for the new upgrades then he/she should be ashamed and reminded just exactly who he/she's the Agent for. You. NOT the buyer.

I wish you all the very best - and hope you find a house just as perfect.

Kind regards,

Nancy.

Tracie T
November 12th, 2018, 11:04 AM
I would absolutely say NO to any repairs unless the inspections shows a safety hazard especially since they are asking for $3,000 assist with closing costs! It sounds like you have plenty of others interested in your home so you can afford to be selective with who you choose to do negotiating with. As far as your realtor goes, YOU ARE THE BOSS! She works for you and if you do not like what she is proposing you say so. I know this is stressful, been there a couple times myself. Good luck and prayers for a smooth transaction with whatever you decide.

Quilter74
November 12th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Your home is lovely! If there isn't a specific reason for a location change I say....just stay put! I would absolutely love to have your beautiful yard and all those trees are a welcome sight. Your property looks to be very private which is a must these days! Good Luck!

TMP
November 12th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Your home is beautiful! My personal opinion is that you gave them 3K in closing and unless there is something major like mold or structure showing from the inspection, then they can take that and make the changes to their taste. Good luck !

KPH
November 12th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Just popping in to let you know I'm still thinking about you in this stressful time. I hope things are going well for you and your sale is moving forward.

Carolnnc
November 12th, 2018, 04:18 PM
The buyers asked the due diligence date be moved giving them another three days since the appraisal hasn't come through. DH said, "what the h_ _ _!" I told him to call the realtor & tell her it would be okay. After reading all the comments & advice from you I have come to a sense of peace, let go of my anxiety and found the strong woman in me who will say, "No more money. Do you understand that I mean no?" "I'll be more than happy to tell you no in several languages if you really don't understand."
Bless you all!!

Patty J
November 12th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Disappointed that they are still hanging on. Either they should buy or not buy. Are they looking at other houses and keeping you on the hook while they look? Sending good thoughts your way.

grammaterry
November 12th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Not your fault about the appraisal being late but hey, you agreed to three days. After that, tell your realtor to bring the back up offer back to you...counter with "as is" and quick closing. Once you tell the realtor this, she will pass it to the selling agent and things should move along quickly.

Judy, USMC
November 12th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Terry has the right tactic. But don't ask for the backup offer until the appraisal comes back and see what the seller's do. If they start making other demands asking for the backup(s) puts the pressure back on them.

Now consider that if the appraisal comes back more than the selling price they may ask for other things (like new carpeting or insulated windows) but will offer you more money. It's just a tactic to get everything they want tucked into the mortgage rather than trying to pay for them out of their pocket after closing. Sent you a pm.

KPH
November 12th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Mercy, I'd forgotten all about those folks buying our house trying to extend the due diligence period. Our real estate agent gave us that message and Howard said NO. They'd had two weeks before they even thought of having their inspector and bank guy come and we were down to the wire. Our agent went back with our message, and warning there were two other families interested in the house and she was ready to call them.

Selling houses is a pain in the sitter!

MSN
November 13th, 2018, 01:07 AM
"No more money. Do you understand that I mean no?" "I'll be more than happy to tell you no in several languages if you really don't understand."

Oh, this made me laugh!

My first house was a crappy fixer-upper. I later sold it on a contract for deed, and the buyer quit making payments. I had to go to court to evict him and repossess the property. He had trashed the place, so I was faced with a lot of repairs. The court proceedings dragged on for months. Between the mortgage, the repairs, and attorney fees, I was hemorrhaging money. In the midst of this, I found an investor who was a realtor and was planning to flip the house. In fact, he had a buyer lined up and sitting in the waiting room waiting for our closing to finish so that he could then complete the second sale. At the closing, I was surprised by some stupid charge that the realtor expected me to cover. It was going to cost me another $100. Not a lot of money, but I didn't like being blind-sided. Enough was enough. I refused to pay it and told the realtor he was going to have to cover it. They even called my attorney to convince me to pay it. Nope, I wouldn't budge. I knew he wanted to proceed to the second closing, and that I had leverage. He gave me a dirty look and grumbled, but he did pay.

Carol, I hope your sale proceeds without further drama, and that you can maintain your wonderful sense of humor throughout.

JCY
November 13th, 2018, 01:34 AM
In the county where I live, one could expect to pay $500,000. for your property! It's beautiful. Stand your ground. Don't make any concessions! There are bidding wars in our area for properties, with people paying more than the listed prices on homes. The real estate market around here is ridiculous!

NancyR
November 13th, 2018, 07:29 AM
The buyers asked the due diligence date be moved giving them another three days since the appraisal hasn't come through. DH said, "what the h_ _ _!" I told him to call the realtor & tell her it would be okay. After reading all the comments & advice from you I have come to a sense of peace, let go of my anxiety and found the strong woman in me who will say, "No more money. Do you understand that I mean no?" "I'll be more than happy to tell you no in several languages if you really don't understand."
Bless you all!!
Excellent stance. We might all be virtual but we are on your side. As a buyer myself over past years, I would never treat a seller in this way. Will look forward to reading how this situation comes out - sending you good thoughts.

NancyR

A little story.

When we moved to our present house, we'd undergone a year's refurbishment of our previous home. Gutted the ground floor inside, designed and built a new kitchen; I designed a "chef's" table which my husband built; also designed a fire place having this built by an artisan bricklayer who used hand made bricks; also designed a new dining room. A year later we had to move (husband's job) - we sold the house, this time without any issue (we thought naively at the time), to a couple who were professional interior designers.

Two months after we'd moved and were in the throes of fixing our aged, untouched-for-years "fixer upper" (yet more builders, dust and grit) - an old neighbour sent us a copy of the local newspaper which contained a double spread of our old house entitled "Home of the Month" showing the new owners sitting proudly in the dining room at a suite of furniture which exactly matched our own (at the time in storage). They'd had an exact copy of our chef's table made and had even used the same fixture in the ceiling for their utensil rack - an exact replica of our own. A photo of the fireplace also showed horse brasses the same as we'd hung including a traditional brass bed warmer. It was as though we'd left the rooms furnished rather than empty.

My husband laughed. I didn't.