PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Notice - FedEs Smartpost ?!?!?!

Judy, USMC
November 8th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Ordered 3 - 2 1/2 cuts of yardage on Nov 2nd. Got shipping notice that a label for FedEx Smartpost on Nov 6th that says label was generated at 4:30pm. Also stated the shipping may net be updated for the first 24 hours. Well, it's been 30 hours and, according to FedEx tracking "The status will be updated when shipment begins to travel."

Will be interesting t see how this shipping method compares to the others. Has anyone had their order come in via FedEx already? If so, how did it track for you?

Judy, USMC
November 8th, 2018, 04:44 AM
So i got another notice the evening of Nov 7th. Looks like it will take 10 days to get here. Will wait & see and hope this is way out of line. UPS is in town and the hand off to the post office had some problems in the past but they were worked out. Now FedEx facility is 60 miles away so it may to take longer ... Will wait & see when it actually gets here.

"Scheduled delivery:
Friday 11/16/2018 by end of day"

shermur
November 8th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Wow...that is definitely not better than using UPS Surepost method.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 8th, 2018, 09:57 AM
That seems unusually long for a FedEx delivery.

When we were in Kansas this summer, we shipped 3 very large boxes home (Canada). Shipped on Wednesday. Arrived at FedEx on Friday. We were still in travel status, so we picked up on our return after clearing customs across the street from FedEx office.

Maybe FedEx has different levels of service depending on price paid?

MissMay in Jersey
November 8th, 2018, 11:44 AM
No complaints from me today, as my sister sent me the quilt she finished on Tuesday afternoon and I received it Wednesday afternoon with our daily mail delivery.

Judy, USMC
November 8th, 2018, 01:21 PM
No complaints from me today, as my sister sent me the quilt she finished on Tuesday afternoon and I received it Wednesday afternoon with our daily mail delivery.

How did she send it? UPS, FedEx, regular mail or Priority mail? I know you are in New Jersey ... where did she mail it from? Hate to put you on the spot about this but I'd love to know how it got there so quickly.

Judy, USMC
November 13th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Well just checked again. I've decided this FedEx Smartpost is NOT the best shipping method for me.

It took 30 hours between M* printing the shipping label and arriving the Fedex facility in Olathe, Kansas (86 miles - 1 1/2 hr drive time) where it was held for 4 hrs before leaving for North Carolina.

Olathe to Concord, NC took another 64 hours to make the 1,000 mile trip. It got to Concord Fedex at 11 pm Saturday.

Fedex Concord sent shipping information to USPS 27 1/2 hours later and said it left the Fedex facility at that time. No updates since and I don't know if there will be any. It's 268 miles from Concord to my house. Anxiously awaiting and hoping that it's in the postal system.

Oh BTW, I ordered this on Nov 2nd - free shipping day. Maybe it's a test ... and if it is ... it's a fail in my circumstance.

EDIT TO ADD: Wonder if any of the mods agree with me ... maybe this should be switched to Squeaky Wheel rather than General Chit Chat?

KPH
November 13th, 2018, 12:46 AM
Holy cow! Let M* know how long it's taken. That seems like a fail to me too.

dwil23
November 13th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Yep, another major FAIL!!!!

My most recent order is stuck in FedEx limbo land too. Why o Why does M* insist on using these services???? If Fat Quarter Shop can ship orders for $4.95 by USPS and get them to me in two days, then I don't understand what the hang up is with M*. FQS is getting more and more of my business. ALmost always same day shipping and then at more door two days later.

shermur
November 13th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Yep, another major FAIL!!!!

My most recent order is stuck in FedEx limbo land too. Why o Why does M* insist on using these services???? If Fat Quarter Shop can ship orders for $4.95 by USPS and get them to me in two days, then I don't understand what the hang up is with M*. FQS is getting more and more of my business. ALmost always same day shipping and then at more door two days later.

Totally agree, Donna. I can get shipment from any other on-line company much faster than M*; especially FQS.

auntstuff
November 13th, 2018, 08:17 AM
My last 2 were sent straight USPS. I got them in about 3 days, so it CAN be done.

Rhonda K
November 13th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Another order here that is taking a while to travel. Order placed on 11-6 and shipped 11-7. So far so good but it sits for 2 days. Then slowly lands in TN and NC. It is not scheduled to arrive in FL until Thursday. The arrival date includes that extra day turnover with the transfer to PO for delivery.That is 9 days total not including the order date and 2 days are the weekend.

It is fabric for a border but I'm still piecing the quilt blocks. I am in a time crunch and knew the time gate was closing fast but will be OK. Normally, I don't order anything I need fast.

KPH
November 13th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Judy, when you said you ordered on 11/2, I went back to look at my orders. I ordered the Block set on 11/2 and it was sent Surepost it got here on Friday. I'd ordered the stuff for Melinda's quilt on 10/29 and, well. That quilt's at the long armers now.

I do hope you'll use the 'Contact Us' on the M* site to let them know. They can't fix it if they don't know. Maybe it was a test to see if FedEx service timeliness was better, but they won't know that it's not if we don't tell them. I can't imagine how many packages they send out in a day and I'm sure they want to use the most efficient service possible, but maybe standard USPS would be the best service available.

dwil23
November 13th, 2018, 09:15 AM
I don't know, Katrina. I am pretty sure they know. I have complained loud and often about the slow Surepost service for two or three years now and although a lot of promises were made about better service, it just has not happened.

I have had several "conversations" via private messages here on the forum with Al, and still, service is terrible. My Dad used to say just expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. So, I have learned to expect the worst service from M* and would never order anything from them that I need in a timely manner.

Sad... :-(

MissMay in Jersey
November 13th, 2018, 10:52 AM
How did she send it? UPS, FedEx, regular mail or Priority mail? I know you are in New Jersey ... where did she mail it from? Hate to put you on the spot about this but I'd love to know how it got there so quickly.

Judy, My sister mailed it from Brooklyn, NYC by Priority mail. After hearing other's mailing woes I was real lucky.

201 Treadler
November 13th, 2018, 11:32 AM
'NC took another 64 hours to make the 1,000 mile trip. '

64 hours is approx. 2.5 days, driving 8 driving hours a day at 50mph if my math worked out right, your parcel was on a truck. taking into account a driver who needed food and rest periods.
for a truck journey does this sounds reasonable.??

dwil23
November 13th, 2018, 11:36 AM
'NC took another 64 hours to make the 1,000 mile trip. '

64 hours is approx. 2.5 days, driving 8 driving hours a day at 50mph if my math worked out right, your parcel was on a truck. taking into account a driver who needed food and rest periods.
for a truck journey does this sounds reasonable.??

No not really. These trucks are driven in relays. Different drivers.

dwil23
November 13th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Judy, My sister mailed it from Brooklyn, NYC by Priority mail. After hearing other's mailing woes I was real lucky.

Priority Mail USPS all the way - no "Surepost" or "Smartpost" ! :D

nativetexan
November 13th, 2018, 11:44 AM
I got a box the other day. actually left it on my porch by the door rather the street end of my driveway!

auntstuff
November 13th, 2018, 12:42 PM
No not really. These trucks are driven in relays. Different drivers.

Usually 2 drivers to a truck, and they go a lot faster than 50mph! I know one of those drivers.

Judy, USMC
November 13th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I do hope you'll use the 'Contact Us' on the M* site to let them know. They can't fix it if they don't know. Maybe it was a test to see if FedEx service timeliness was better, but they won't know that it's not if we don't tell them.

Katrina, rather than CS I contacted management. Said they were hoping Fedex Smartpost wasn't as bad as UPS Surepost. So it was somewhat of a trial ... hope others caught in this were luckier than I was.

auntstuff
November 13th, 2018, 03:29 PM
The site I order used books from uses FedEx surepost. Its ALWAYS been awful.

glennr1946@gmail.com
November 13th, 2018, 06:17 PM
My wife is a frequent repeat customer of MSQC. I also have an account so I can buy her gift certificates and other surprises.

We live in northeast Indiana, and her orders have always arrived in two business days after shipping with USPS. Her most recent order was on November 6, and it just arrived today, the 13th. To be fair, there was no mail yesterday, but that's still longer than it used to be.

She looked at the label and saw it was delivered by FedEx SmartPost. Based on my experience with SmartPost, as well as UPS Sure Post, this is going to trouble. It seems that this is cheaper than USPS, and certainly less than standard FedEx. Since it's cheaper, it's slower, and they seem to make sure it's slower, even if it has to be transfeered to multiple locations, or sit in the FedEx terminal a couple of extra days. I guess they want you to pay extra for better service in the future. Situations such as described by the posts above are common with SmartPost.

I buy a fair number of auto parts on line, and I no longer do business with any vendor that ships via SmartPost or UPS Sure Post, or any of the other similar "services," such as the one by DHL.

I hope MSQC will reconsider this ill-advised change. If they have to revise their shipping fees, that's fine. Up to this point, MSQC service has been great, but this a giant step backward.

Judy, USMC
November 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I don't want anyone to get the impression that they have decided that this will be their new shipping method for everyone. I believe that their method of shipping is based on the package weight. I've ordered a couple of daily deal items only and they have come directly through the postal system. It's the method of shipping these heavier weight packages that are being tested.

UPS SurePost was getting a lot of complaints so they are looking for an alternate carrier. It just happens that this isn't better for me. Got to give them credit for trying to get it to us faster and within the flat rate we pay.