PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Ivory Soap

Star lover
November 7th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Ivory bar soap floating was a mistake.

One day after the soap when into production, a factory worker (who remains anonymous) forgot to switch off the master mixing machine when he went to lunch and too much air was whipped into a batch of soap.

Consumers, delighted by the floating soap, demanded more, and from then on, Procter and Gamble gave all white soap an extra-long whipping.

Carol336
November 7th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Well who knew!!!!! Actually I think I did hear that somewhere along the line. Once again Anita....thanks for these great tidbits.....you always seem to bring a smile to my face with them. Have a great day girlfriend!!!!'

Monique
November 7th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Well who knew!!!!! Actually I think I did hear that somewhere along the line. Once again Anita....thanks for these great tidbits.....you always seem to bring a smile to my face with them. Have a great day girlfriend!!!!'

I quite agree with Carol. Thank you.

KPH
November 7th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Brings back a lot of sweet memories.

Suzette
November 7th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I don't know how I have been missing reading these trivia posts before this, but after reading this one I started going back and reading the others. (I will eventually read them all - lol) I love these! Thanks so much for posting them Anita!

auntstuff
November 7th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Does this explain how 'inflation' got started? :)

MissMay in Jersey
November 7th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Thanks Anita., today's tidbit brought back memories of my childhood Saturday night baths when I would watch the soap float in the bathtub. Ivory soap had a much nicer scent than that Lifebouy soap we had to use when we were very dirty.

Bubby
November 7th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Anita. We had lots of Ivory soap in our home when I was a kid.

bubba
November 7th, 2018, 02:52 PM
My grandparents were from South Dakota and had a different type water than we have in Washington. In South Dakota, Ivory soap did not float. My grandpa was always amazed when they would come visit and he would see that. I still remember that first time it happened, him in the tub screaming for my grandma because he thought something had gone awry!

Hulamoon
November 7th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Ivory makes me sneeze!

nativetexan
November 7th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I washed a poly shirt of my husbands and put a dryer sheet in with it to dry. it got spots!! to the rescue Ivory Soap. i rubbed it in and washed it a second time. like new!! also got hair oil out of a used to be white pillow case long ago. it turned white again. Yea Ivory Soap.

chelea
November 8th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Remember Ivory flakes and Ivory snow? Do they even make snow laundry detergent anymore?

Heather
November 8th, 2018, 05:56 PM
My grocery store had Ivory Snow liquid detergent.. I think they got rid of it and started stocking Persil instead. But ivory baby is still there.

jjkaiser
November 9th, 2018, 12:38 AM
Gosh I don't know where you come up with these trivia facts but they are all so fascinating, so thank you for taking the time. I love the smell of Ivory Soap.

JCY
November 9th, 2018, 01:39 AM
I've used Ivory bar soap for probably 50 yrs. or more. My mom used it. I always liked it b/c it was fragrance free. Not any more! Over the years, they've kept adding a little more fragrance until now I can hardly tolerate the smell of it. We still use it b/c it doesn't irritate my hands. Most liquid hand soaps bother my hands. In the kitchen, I use Palmolive dish soap.

TMP
November 9th, 2018, 02:35 AM
My mom was a faithful ivory soap customer for most of her life until she bought a bar that had grit in it. I have used liquid Dove for years because the dermatologist recommended it, my dry skin needs all the moisture it can get.

bubba
November 9th, 2018, 03:37 AM
My mom was a faithful ivory soap customer for most of her life until she bought a bar that had grit in it. I have used liquid Dove for years because the dermatologist recommended it, my dry skin needs all the moisture it can get.

Have you ever tried Cetaphil? I buy it at Costco. It is so gentle they use it in NICU's.