• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Christmas tipping

I know this is a little early to think about this, but it has been on my mind lately. I hired a yard crew (two guys) after my dh passed and I look forward to seeing them every two weeks. Such nice guys and always bring me a new plant. lol

Do you think $50 each is too much or to little with a box of homemade sweets? Iv'e never tipped for Christmas before, so I'm curious.
    🌺 Lorie
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Christmas tipping

I think that is fair, but what do I know, LOL!!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• jjkaiser
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2013

Wow I think that is very very generous!! Last week a guy came to my door holding a rake. He said Would you like your leaves raked? I said, without thinking, oh that is so nice of you!!! He kind of hesitated awkwardly, then said well I don't rake for free. I was so embarrassed, I honestly thought he was just being nice.
      Jocelyn
      South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• laura44
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2014

Sounds generous to me. Our pool guy would charge $100 a month,
        we would give him and his helper $50 each for Christmas.

Comment

• Judy, USMC
          Missouri Star
          • May 2013

Around here cost of living is fairly low and $20 per person is the norm for grass guys, mail carrier, newspaper deliverer and privately hired garbage crew. All are appreciative.

Comment

• Suzette
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

I think you are spot on with the $50 each and some homemade goodies. They sound reliable and generous themselves, so that will make a lovely Christmas gift for them.
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• MHG Winnower
              Missouri Star
              • Nov 2015

If the guys work hard, and most of them do! I think $50 is a very nice holiday tip.
              “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
              “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• KPH
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

Personally, I'm glad you brought it up. Our yard guy in NC knocked off for the season in Nov. So I didn't see him again until late March or early April.

It's something I should plan for.
                Katrina
                From NC, retired in FL
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• chelea
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

Before I retired, I had a housekeeper come in once a week. At Christmas, I would give him a tip equal to one week's pay.
                  Michele
                  ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                  To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2012

Thanks everyone. These guys do work hard. The lead guy had just lost his father and still came to work. They come and chat for 10 min or so instead of just 'okay were're going'. I was fortunate to find them. I wish my kids were so helpful and nice.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• grammaterry
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2015

That's an interesting thought...tipping people we pay regularly.
                      I tip my hairdresser when I get the service...tip the waiter when I finish eating...so I would suppose that if you save up the intended tip each time of service that would be appropriate. If money is difficult for you to come by, I'm certain that a homemade gift would mean a lot in leiu of $$, but if you can afford more than the agreed upon price, by all means, be generous.
                      As far as tipping well paid workers like mail carriers, I have a small problem with that. I think children giving their teachers a token gift at Christmas is good for the Children to give a gift to an outside unrelated person, a good learning experience.
                      I sometimes give a gift of $$ to the bagger at the grocery store if I have a regular young person which I do not at this time.
                      If I had a housekeeper I would give a gift, but I have no hired help so no experience there.
                      success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                      Terry of NC

Comment

• JCY
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2013

I personally have never thought of tipping the lawn service guys. We pay out a lot of money every season for weekly mowing ($45. each week); the hourly rate for other yard work is $45./hr. per man. So if 3 guys come for an hour, that's 3 x $45. No way am I tipping for that service. We don't tip mail carriers or newspaper delivery people. Since the carriers change so frequently, it would be difficult to know to whom to give the $. We pay for our newspaper once a year directly to the newspaper. Gone are the days when school age kids deliver door to door & also collect. All the routes now are motor routes. I've cut my own hair for >30 yrs., so no hair dresser to tip. Just wait people if I eat out, which isn't that often, maybe once a mo.

Comment

• chelea
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2012

I probably shouldn't have used the term "tip" in my previous post. It was intended as a Christmas gift, and in the case of my housekeeper, he always gave us a huge tray of his wife's home made cookies. I think it depends on whether you have a close relationship...sometimes there's someone who just goes the extra mile to take care of you all year and you want to show appreciation.
                          Michele
                          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2013

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                            As far as tipping well paid workers like mail carriers, I have a small problem with that.
                            There were several times when Steve would go for a medical appointment and wind up in a hospital out of town so we would need the mail held. Or times when our return trip from Chicago was delayed and the "Hold mail" period ended. Our one special carrier understood the unique circumstances and went so far to give us his home number so our mail would be kept safe. So in the case of tipping "well paid" service providers I think it needs to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Tipping restaurant servers is usually routine since their wages are so low. Tipping or "Christmas Bonuses" are not necessary but nice if you want to show these people a little extra appreciation for what they do for you.

Comment

• dwil23
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2012

I agree that tipping should be on a "case by case" basis. Tipping your mail carrier is actually discouraged by the post office, but many still do. I have no opinion one way or the other on that issue, but please, please, please, if you decide to tip your mail carrier, please be sure your return address is on the envelope and even on the card. You would not believe the number of cards the post office gets every year addressed to "our mail carrier", "my favorite mailman". "best post man ever" ,"Joe" "our substitute carrier"...and on and on.... the cash/gift cards never get to the intended recepient! So if you have tipped them in the past and never got a thank you that could be why....

Now..as to the original question - I think that would be very nice Lorie! I don't know how it is elsewhere, but it is very hard to get and keep a good yard guy around here.
                              Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X