PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: Maryland

Star lover
November 5th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Some Interesting Facts about Maryland:

The United States Naval Academy was founded on October 10, 1845 at Annapolis.

In 1830 the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company built the first railroad station in Baltimore.

During revolutionary times Rockville was known as Hungerford's Tavern the name of its most familiar landmark. One of the first calls to freedom from British rule was heard at the tavern in 1774.

King Williams School opened in 1696 it was the first school in the United States.

The first dental school in the United States opened at the University of Maryland.

Babe Ruth, the Sultan of Swat, was born in Baltimore and attended Saint Mary's Industrial School.

Tilghman Island is home to the Skipjacks, the only commercial sailing fleet in North America.

America's national anthem was written by Francis Scott Key a Maryland lawyer. It is believed Key wrote the anthem on September 14, 1814 while watching the bombardment of Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor.

The 1,200 foot Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore is the second longest continuous truss bridge in the nation.

Located in the Chesapeake Bay, Smith Island is Maryland's only inhabited off-shore island.

The Maryland State House is the oldest state capitol still in continuous legislative use.

Chincoteague's are famous ponies from Assateague Island.

On June 24,1784, in Baltimore, 13-year old Edward Warren went airborne in the first successful manned balloon launch in the United States.

Samuel F.B. Morse reportedly received the first telegraph message in Bladensburg, in 1844, before his famous "What Hath God Wrought" message between Baltimore and Washington. His telegraph wire had been strung along the railroad right of way. Ezra Cornell, founder of Cornell University, lived in Bladensburg and is said to have invented the telegraph pole.

Maryland was first to enact Workmen's compensation laws in 1902.

Mount Airy is unique because two counties, Carroll and Frederick, divide it.

Oxford (founded 1683), gained its prominence in colonial days by being mandated in 1694 by Maryland legislation as the first and only port of entry on the eastern shore.

On the morning of August 10, 1813 residents of Saint Michaels having been forewarned of a British attack hoisted lanterns to the masts of ships and in the tops of the trees. The height of light caused cannons to overshoot the town. This first known blackout was effective and only one house was struck and is now known as the "Cannonball House." The town has been known as the town that fooled the British since this historic event.

Maryland gave up some of it's land to form Washington D.C.

Annapolis was known as the Athens of America during the seventeenth century and once served as the capital of the United States. It is also know as the sailing capital of the world.

The Community Bridge mural project in Frederick transformed a plain concrete bridge into the stunning illusion of an old stone bridge. The entire structure was painted by hand by an artist and his assistants, using advanced trompe l'oeil ("deceive the eye") techniques.

In exchange for granting the Calvert family a charter to settle a new colony, King Charles I asked that it be named for his wife, Queen Henrietta Maria. Thus it was called Terra Mariae, or "Mary-land."

Strange laws in Maryland:
-Thistles may not grow in oneís yard.
-If you live in Baltimore, it is illegal to take a lion to the movies.
-If you are a woman married to a man, it is illegal to go through your husbandís pockets while heís sleeping.
-It is illegal to eat while swimming in the ocean.
-It is against the law for a Maryland man to buy a drink for a female bartender.

Note: no trivia tomorrow, Tuesday, 6 November.

Monique
November 5th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Les and I have stayed on Chincoteague Island in Virginia and have seen the 'wild' ponies.

Hulamoon
November 5th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I think after your 'political break' you should just do strange laws. lol

lourixe
November 5th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Given the right environmental conditions -and I assume Maryland has them- thistles can be extremely invasive. I know of some areas in Europe where they also are under ban in private properties, just as some foreign species that were used as ornamental plants.

Star lover
November 5th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Given the right environmental conditions -and I assume Maryland has them- thistles can be extremely invasive. I know of some areas in Europe where they also are under ban in private properties, just as some foreign species that were used as ornamental plants.

What got me was the wording of the Law.......it wasn't that you couldn't plant thistles......I grt that some species are invasive and have been banned across the country......but the wording was they weren't allowed to grow. If they grew......I guess they're punishment would be......"off with their heads!!!" Sorry couldn't help myself......

My weed experience has always been that they grow.....with no help from anyone.....or anything.....and they grow well!

birdscraps
November 5th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Anita, I love this! My husband has been doing some work off and on in Maryland for the past few months. I went to visit him a week ago and fell in love with the place. Annapolis is such a quaint town.

JCY
November 5th, 2018, 08:49 PM
My son's family live in MD. I've visited several times over the years. On my last visit, we drove over that Bay bridge & visited some touristy stuff on the eastern shore & took a boat trip on Chesapeake Bay. It was a great outing. On a previous trip, we did the Annapolis walking tour which was very interesting. My DIL now works in Annapolis. Oh, also on a prev. visit, we toured the Naval Academy. I still haven't been to the Baltimore aquarium or visited the water front there. Lots of history in that area.

About thistles - they grow anywhere & are hard to get rid of.