PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning Greetings!

JCY
November 3rd, 2018, 09:14 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Yest. eve. I finished the kitchen floor project -- mopped & waxed -- on my hands & knees. The only way to do a good job, IMO. My sponge mop doesn't squeeze out enough water, so I do it the old way. I knelt on a folded over towel to help cushion my knees. I started as soon as DH went to bed at 6 p.m. & didn't finish, with everything moved back into place till 9 p.m. Then I still had to eat my supper. I'm so glad that job is done. I need to do more furniture dusting today. I can do that at a more leisurely pace.

My son made it to Dallas safely yest. afternoon. He took an Uber to Sea-Tac Airport from his apt. & went very early to make sure he was there on time. His flight left at 6 a.m. So now he's enjoying spending time with his dau.'s family & getting acquainted with his 2 y.o. gr. son whom he hadn't seen since he was born. I'm looking forward to his visit next week.

Our temp. made it up to 70 deg. yest., but it's cooler today with a chance of rain.

In reading Bonnie Hunter's blog, I noticed the women at her latest retreat are making the Box Kite block. I found a good diagram of the pattern at The Quilting Company, April 10, 2014. It's a lot of HSTs, but it sure would be a great way to use up scraps. So here's another one to add to my bucket list. The pattern is in her Addicted to Scraps book, but I'll be able to make it just from seeing the picture.

KPH
November 3rd, 2018, 09:28 AM
Good Morning Joy,

You'll have your fall cleaning done before you know it! I haven't started, mainly because I'm waiting until after the new windows arrive! Hopefully, they'll be here before much longer.

I worked in my sewing room closet yesterday. It's cleaned out and cleaned up. Everything refolded and stacked neatly in boxes. Now to go back to my desk and clean it off again! There's always shifting around and it seems like that's the dumping ground.

I want to rearrange the bookshelves in there since I've moved all, or most of the school stuff into the other room. I've got to figure out where things go so it makes sense to my brain. Then start putting stuff in it's real place.

I guess since my sewing machine is having a spa retreat, I'll get the hexies back out and work on them for a while.

Time to get busy and enjoy the sunshine today. The rains yesterday stayed south of us most of the day. We had a couple of hard showers, but they weren't very long. Every little bit helps.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

baslp
November 3rd, 2018, 10:17 AM
Good morning. We had quite a bit of rain and wind last night. Today will be windy and cooler. Our pug had her CAT scan of her nasal cavi and chest. Right now we have to deal with the bad abcess in her eye. She may need surgery to save the eye. I will spend today putting eye drops in.
I finished the binding on mt DS’s quilt. Now I am cont to work on a x-mas quilt.

Have a good day.
Bethany

grammaterry
November 3rd, 2018, 10:20 AM
I cleaned yesterday as well although not as thoroughly as you, Joy. Its rainy here but the leaves are still hanging on the trees. They are gorgeously beautiful.
I embroidered three towels (tea towels) yesterday. I'm doing a seaside motive for my sil for Christmas as she lives in Nagshead. I thought they would be appropriate. I'lll do a few more and then I will hem the edges.
I spent a lot of time on line looking at stabilizers and threads. Going to do that again today and make some decisions.

JulieC
November 3rd, 2018, 11:19 AM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

The sun is out today, I think that's the second time this week. We had rain most of the week and early this morning. The rest of today and tomorrow should be dry with more rain in the forecast for Monday. There is *snow* in the forecast for Friday the 9th. That's the day I have to attend a mandatory work meeting at the location farthest from me -- it will take over an hour in rush hour traffic, more if the weather is bad. I am not looking forward to the drive. If the meeting gets out on time, it should end at 2pm...at least I will miss the worst of the traffic on the way home.

I plan to spend some time in the sewing room today. I want to work on the Thanksgiving wall hanging I'm making for work. I hope it goes together fast, I don't have a lot of time to spend on it. I have a lot of yard work to do, which will be my day tomorrow. I already paid Mom's bills and mine this morning, so that's one thing off my list.

Terry: I hope you find the perfect stabilizer for you. I think choosing a stabilizer for machine embroidery is one of the hardest things about it. There are so many different kinds, and a lot of the embroidery designs have more stitches than the stabilizer is recommended for.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

MissMay in Jersey
November 3rd, 2018, 11:37 AM
Lovely view from the window in this room, sun shining on the trees with their varied colored leaves and the wind is blowing some all over our back yard. Such a nice sight until the leaves pile up too much and become a nuisance. .

Joy, wish I could get down on my knees to clean the kitchen floor like I used to but my knees won't cooperate. Those swifter things just don't please me so I replace the pads with some thick terry cloth strips dipped in a cleaning solution that really do a better job.

No time to chat this morning as I'm expecting my sisters to arrive around 11:30. Received a call from them last night to see if DH would be home and want to have some company. No problem for us especially since they said donm't make anything as they would bring lunch. They'll be plenty of good food and talk to be sure.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 3rd, 2018, 12:23 PM
Good morning ladies,

I spent yesterday morning making large freezer meals for my DD family of 5, which she picked up at noon. She is running around in preparation for my GD's 3rd birthday on Sunday. It's only for kids, no adults or older kids (aka GKs cousins). I have a gift but will have to find time to get it to her. I am giving her the eskimo quilt I finished last winter. I was going to give it at xmas but awkward as she would be only GK getting a quilt.

DH had appointment for change to winter tires & check up. There has been a noise for past few weeks. Turned out some expensive parts in front and the rear brakes needed changing. It's 7 years old. DH was there so long, he Looked at new SUVs. Nice, maybe this spring. When he got back he was wiped, but I wanted to go to LQS in country. He offered to drive if I treated him to dinner. I got the backing for my xmas Quatrefoil quilt. The green I wanted was all gone, so I opted for the red, as I am running out of time to get it prepped for quilting.

We went to a steakhouse we used to go to regularly but stopped going for no reason. They have renovated and it is very elegant now. I had the steak Oscar which is a filet mignon with a lobster/crab cake. My steak was so tender, I probably could have cut wih my fork. The veggies were crisp and loaded baked patato was devine. DH had the salmon with crab cake. His was good. The atmosphere was quiet. I think we will become regulars again. We find that large chain restaurants in our area so noisy that we don't enjoy our meals.

Joy - I can't believe you got on your knees. I couldn't but my cleaning lady does it that way. If I have to wash the floor in between, I use a mop so I can get in the corners. I try to do light housework during in-between weeks. I'm sure you will enjoy your son's visit.

Katrina, isn't it inspiring to get all your fabric reorganized and passing on fabrics you won't use. I try to do that at least a few times during the year. I am bringing many household items and clothes to my mom's residence as they are gearing up for a big sale next week.

Another slow day for us, and only plan on doing errands, and maybe stop by a craft show nearby.

Enjoy your weekend.

Rhonda K
November 3rd, 2018, 01:40 PM
It's a fun stitching day here. I'm making a reading pillow for our grandson on the embroidery machine. Trying to get a start on Christmas projects and gifts. He will be this afternoon for an over-nite with grandma and grandpa. Sewing room is closed when little man is around. LOL.

Hope your Saturday is a Fun day too!

JCY
November 3rd, 2018, 06:13 PM
Suzanne ~ Tell us more about your quilt. Is that a panel or is it pieced? That's really cute.

Believe me, I don't often get down on my knees for projects. By the time I was ready to apply the wax I got another towel so I had more thickness for my knees. I rubbed Aspercreme on both knees before I went to bed. (Well, I do get down on the carpeted floor when I sandwich my quilts, but most of the time I sit on my backside.) I haven't felt very ambitious today. I did some laundry & worked on my Bible study lesson. I may get some dusting done yet today.

DH has changed most of the clocks already. I hate this switching back & forth spring & fall. I just wish they'd leave it on standard time all year. So if you haven't already done it, "fall back". We get an extra hour of sleep tonight, but I bet I'll wake up at the regular time in the morning.

KPH
November 3rd, 2018, 09:12 PM
The alarm clocks in my bedroom change themselves. I told Mike we'd change the rest tomorrow. Mainly so we could see which ones do change themselves. lol, I know the coffee pot is already wrong, I punched the hour button one morning instead of the brew button. It will have to go back two hours.