PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday and a brand new month

Monique
November 1st, 2018, 08:40 AM
Good morning friends. Thank you each and every one of you for your prayers and kind words. Each message, of course, brought me to more tears but I treasure the messages and the friendships.

I didn't do much of anything yesterday, just mindless little things. A friend brought chicken soup and biscuits and stayed for a visit. We shared memories of Bonnie. I later shared that soup with Bonnie's daughter as she hadn't eaten. Then it was time for the trick and treaters. 27 in all came to the door.

So today I will try and get into the sewing room. I work tomorrow and three days next week.

Have a great day my wonderful friends.

Ginny B
November 1st, 2018, 09:00 AM
Good morning Monique. You have been on my mind as you are going through this very sad time. I am glad to hear a friend came over to be with you yesterday.

I had a bit of a slow day yesterday. I did get a couple things done in the sewing room but I wasn't as productive as I would have liked. Today I am off to Hobby Lobby to pick up some fabric for an apron someone ordered and also some yarn. I am also having lunch with my friend Ceil. I have the day off from picking up Henry. He is going to get picked up by his other set of grandparents. They had a free day and thought they'd like to see him for a bit and give me the afternoon free. :icon_bigsmile: And since it is leftovers for dinner today, I will have an easy afternoon.

We didn't have too many trick or treaters last night. We will buy less candy next year. Each year it seems to be less and less.

Have a good day all.

JCY
November 1st, 2018, 09:00 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique, you've been in my thoughts & prayers. I feel bad for you; but you surely know we all care.

Yest. was the neurosurgeon appt. The weather was fine; streets were dry. I went early; I wasn't sure how long it would take to drive over there. The Boulder foothills & Flatirons were beautiful in the morning sun. They were coated with white. The dr. showed me the MRI where I have some discs that are bulging, but no nerves are pinched. I don't need surgery, thank goodness. He ordered PT & gave me a referral to a reg. neurologist. I'm to see him again in 3 mos. for follow-up. So, I need to make appts. to see another dr. & get going on some PT for my neck.

I made it back on time for our BSF fellowship lunch, which was 4 mi. N. of town. The hostess lives on a dirt road which was muddy, so my car got dirty. I took it through the car wash later, then had to hose out all the wheel wells when I got home to get off the last of the mud. I think there were 11 of us. The house where we were backs up to open space. Lots of windows with views of the foothills, green pastures, etc. Such a lovely setting. We had been asked to bring a show & tell, so I took a few of my quilts & shared about quilting & gave my own mini quilt show.

I'm here earlier than usual. I woke up 10 min. before the alarm went off with a charley horse in my L. lower leg. I rubbed some Aspercreme on & massaged it a bit. I hate when that happens.

I think today I'll scrub the shower, one of my least favorite jobs, but it needs to be done. It also involves scrubbing down DH's shower bench, which always is a bit of a chore. I use Q-tips to clean all the holes & do the legs with SOS pads.

Well, DH is ready for his breakfast, so it's on with my day. One week from today DS comes.

KPH
November 1st, 2018, 09:17 AM
Good Morning All,

Monique, you were in my thoughts yesterday. I read all of the messages of support and love. This is a marvelous group of caring folks! I'm so glad we have each other.

Yesterday was frustrating. I've been hunting for Howard's clipboard off and on for a week. Jim called yesterday when I was really at my wits end and on the verge of tears. I told him I was being stupid, it was just a silly clipboard. I could go to the store and buy more notebook paper. Mike started going behind me, looking everywhere I'd already looked, which only added to my frustration. Well, I finally found it. it was stacked with the art pads I'd bought for J. Talk about relieved.

The kids came by to show their Halloween costumes. They loved the trick or treat sacks. I'd put the Crayola mess free coloring books in Esther and Zeke's and a Duct Tape Dragster set for Jim and Jonathan to work on in J's. They trick or treated with their parent and Uncle Mike. Then went to Nana and Nandy's before dark. I still have my big salad bowl still filled with candy. The trick or treaters barely made a dent in it.

Zeke will be here this morning, the J will be here this afternoon for home school. He's going to the co-op this morning to be with other 6 year olds that are home schooling. So, it's going to be a busy day.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

grammaterry
November 1st, 2018, 09:55 AM
In the past 37 years we have had a total of 1 (yes, one) trick or treater) We are so far off the road that I suppose the effort just isn't worth it. KInd of miss it . But I always buy big candy bars and oranges, just in case.
Halloween is DH's birthday. As a child he thought the big day was just for him. I believe he still does. I gave him a bag of wood for his knife projects. I found a fabulous store that has exotic wood from Aftrica and South America. I got him a dozen pieces of different woods and he really seemed happy with them. Wanted to know all about the store. I told him I'd drive him there anytime he wanted to go. It is in a heavy traffic area and traffic makes him very tense.
Then, after opening present, we went outside on a beautiful fall day and he cut a couple more trees around the house to make the area a little safer and cut them up for firewood. I stacked wood all day long. It will be good to have enough for winter. Maybe we won't need it (wishful thinking) and we'll have it for two years. Then I made lamb chops and we sat in our respective chairs (me reading..him sleeping) A good day.
Today is not going to be nearly so sunny. BUt the color seems to be peeking. It is brilliantly gold and orange out the window. I think the wind is suppose to come up later so I should enjoy it while its there.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 1st, 2018, 10:18 AM
Good morning everyone,

Yesterday, we went to the big box store area and checked out the Sihouette Cameo 3 and Cricut Explorer Air 2. Still doing my research, and realized that neither of these will fully meet our needs. I did come across the Cricut Maker, which cuts basswood and thicker sturdy materials, along with fabric. It's software is more basic than Silhouette's which is more advanced. So my dilemma continues. Oh I wish I was near a large show, where these would be on display to see in action. I guess we are not in a rush and want to get the machine that serves both our needs.

I also paid bills online, and discovered that my new chequing account is having the same PayPal activity as before. It starts with a few small deposits of .18 & .20, then the withdrawals start. None so far, but the bank has been alerted. I have narrowed it to fraudulent use by one of three companies (or staff) authorized to make withdrawals. I sent off an email and left a message for my bank rep to call me back. We have eliminated that my computer has been compromised, as my other accounts remain safe.

I have appointment to get winter tires on, and checkup this morning. I enjoy sitting at the dealer. It's like a spa, with fireplace, cappuccino machines, delicious snacks. I will bring laptop and surf tutorials.

Gotta run. Enjoy your day.

Star lover
November 1st, 2018, 10:39 AM
Good morning wonder friends!

Monique, you are continually on my heart and in my prayers. Big hugs and love!
Ginny, I love left overs.....more time to enjoy stuff!
Joy, I was praying that your appointment would have a good outcome.....so thankful PT is what they suggested.
Katrina, I've been in your shoes, looking, searching for something and go nuts, when it shouldn't have bugged me so. I'm sure because it was your DH, it compelled you to find it. Im doin a happy dance for you, that you found it!
Terry, my DH would be over the moon happy with all that exotic wood! Sounds like y'all had a perfect day!
Suzanne, you'll figure it all out and get the perfect tool! You have a great mind.... and on the spot seeing those transactions!

We live in a court and over the years we started with maybe 10 kids and they've gone down from there. We quit years ago. But since we've have grands we go there! Our DIL fixed dinner....soup and all kinds of extras. We all brought something and it was great. Then the grands all dressed up......oh my, super cute. We laughed so hard. Kids, my, they sure can bring joy to all.

But they have this one neighbor.....mmmmm, he needs to grow up. He loves to scares kids.......more like terrorize. He had the scariest mask on and our youngest grand was terrified! Finally we told him, take it off, can't you see she's terrified? He did, she was fine, and he thought....ok, I'll let her see me put it on and she'll see, and be ok....nope, she went shrieking from him and hid behind her mom.

Duh, she's 2, she doesn't know what's going on. He left, I did a inside happy dance and enjoyed the rest of the evening! Some people!

Well the rain held off long enough for the treaters and now it continues. Somgloomy, but there's happiness in my sewing room (well, inside me too)! I'm working on a 30's reproduction quilt and loving it! I smile all the time, working on it. It just makes me happy.

Love, prayers for all. Hope the sun shines in your world......even if it's not actual sun.....! :)

KarenC
November 1st, 2018, 10:55 AM
Good morning everyone. The rain held off last night to allow most of the kids to finish their trick or treating. We have about 20 pieces of candy leftover, that's it. This is the first time I am home for Halloween in a while, since I am usually at Quilt Festival which for some reason is delayed a week this year. Got to visit and run errands with DD yesterday.

Loaded backing on the frame for another charity quilt. It took 3 tries. It was cut so bad that I needed to take it off and resquare the backing before loading again. Today I will load the rest and quilt since it is only a lap quilt. Then, it is on to a top for mom. I've decided I need to focus on my projects for the remainder of the year instead of charity quilts.
It's time to get out of bed and get moving if I am going to be successful. So happy thoughts and prayers for a good day for all.

Bubby
November 1st, 2018, 12:02 PM
Good Morning Everyone....Halloween blew in some real wintery weather. We had no trick-or-treaters but we live at the end of a dead-end gravel road. Most people don't even know people live in this area. We are close to town but hidden from view.

I was thrilled to be able to do a little sewing this morning. My arthritic hand has prevented me from doing almost everything I love to do. I ripped as much as I sewed but even the ripping felt good! My DGS is proposing to his sweetheart next month so I need to start a wedding quilt. I have the fabric already but so far undecided on the pattern. I'm tossed between Open Heart by Lella Design or Pinwheel Picnic, a recent tutorial by Jenny.

Yesterday I baked chocolate chip cookies and also mixed up a batch of peanut butter cookie dough that I will bake today. Maggie tried to help me all day yesterday and I finally had to give up. Dinner tonight will be sausage gravy and biscuits....one of Jeff's absolute favorites. I don't eat sausage or lunch meat of any sort, so this is a meal just for my sweetie. I think I will have a baked potato and some steamed broccoli. I'm such a picky eater that I would feel bad if anyone had to cook for me....lol! Cathy, did you hear this?

Monique, you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Wishing everyone a fine day....with hugs, of course.

chelea
November 1st, 2018, 12:04 PM
We had over 200 trick or treaters here last night. It's quite the scene. We live at the beginning of the sub-division and it starts around 6pm with cars and suv's rolling through, disgorging dozens of kids, causing a traffic jam. The overwhelming majority aren't from our neighborhood. I know this because I can watch which direction they come from...out of the cars, not from our neighborhood around the corner. The kicker was a pair of women in their 40's with elaborate costumes holding pillowcases to collect their candy. I was so dumfounded. I later wished I had said something. You're in your 40's and going door to door with a pillowcase, really? I try not to be cranky but it seems to be a racket. When our kids were little, we took them to the neighbors we knew and that was it. Wouldn't dream of driving them to another neighborhood. Besides, how much candy do you need?

baslp
November 1st, 2018, 01:26 PM
Good afternoon— finally have a minute to post. I worked out and went for a message of my neck and back.
Joy— I had years of PY for my neck, but having a massage of all the muscles helped the most. I go often to keep the pain away.

One more sunny day before the rain arrives. I am cony. To get my binding glued down before I sew it.

Have a great rest of your day.
Beth

JCY
November 1st, 2018, 06:12 PM
Wow! 200 trick or treaters! That's mind boggling. Our door bell rang once, but we didn't go to the door. Our porch light was off, plus there was a sign out there.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
November 1st, 2018, 10:26 PM
We had over 200 trick or treaters here last night. It's quite the scene. We live at the beginning of the sub-division and it starts around 6pm with cars and suv's rolling through, disgorging dozens of kids, causing a traffic jam. The overwhelming majority aren't from our neighborhood. I know this because I can watch which direction they come from...out of the cars, not from our neighborhood around the corner. The kicker was a pair of women in their 40's with elaborate costumes holding pillowcases to collect their candy. I was so dumfounded. I later wished I had said something. You're in your 40's and going door to door with a pillowcase, really? I try not to be cranky but it seems to be a racket. When our kids were little, we took them to the neighbors we knew and that was it. Wouldn't dream of driving them to another neighborhood. Besides, how much candy do you need?

We have escaped out for about 5 years now. We realized the kids were not from our neighbourhood, and are being driven in and dropped off from other areas. I have many girlfriends who still like to dress up and party like when we were kids. I guess I grew up And prefer different entertainment. I think this is why I don't care for Halloween. Is there a Bah humbug Halloween? I would win the prize.

toggpine
November 2nd, 2018, 02:55 AM
Yesterday I baked chocolate chip cookies and also mixed up a batch of peanut butter cookie dough that I will bake today. Maggie tried to help me all day yesterday and I finally had to give up. Dinner tonight will be sausage gravy and biscuits....one of Jeff's absolute favorites. I don't eat sausage or lunch meat of any sort, so this is a meal just for my sweetie. I think I will have a baked potato and some steamed broccoli. I'm such a picky eater that I would feel bad if anyone had to cook for me....lol! Cathy, did you hear this?

Wishing everyone a fine day....with hugs, of course.

So what part was I supposed to hear?
That you have fresh cookies at your house and I need to bring a jug of milk?
That you lovingly made biscuits and gravy for your sweetie, and forgot to invite me? Because as any good southern cook knows, if you do it right, biscuits and gravy is a complete meal!
Or that you are a picky eater and are throwing down a cooking challenge?

I didn't get in here until tonight, but I try to keep tabs on you all!