PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: British Columbia

Star lover
October 29th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Some Interesting Facts about British Columbia:

British Columbia is the third largest and most westerly province in Canada and it is four times the size of Great Britain. The length of BC’s coastline is over 27,000 kilometers (16,777 miles).

Half of all British Columbians live in the metropolitan area of Vancouver.

Two-thirds of British Columbia’s land base (an area larger than France!) is forest land, and more than half of that area has had little or no human contact.

Among all provinces and territories of Canada, British Columbia has the mildest climate. It has the longest frost-free periods of Canada and flowers often start blooming as early as February.

British Columbia is one of the top 3 producing regions of cranberries and blueberries in the world.

BC is home to the world’s largest hockey stick! It was originally created for the Expo 1986 and then acquired by the city of Duncan, BC (Vancouver Island), where it is on display today. The stick is 62.48 metres long (almost 205 feet) weighs 28.12 tons (62,000 lb) and is therefore 40 times the size of a regular hockey stick.

Speaking of world records, BC resident Sarwan Singh who lives in the City of Surrey in the south of BC holds the world record for “Longest Beard” on a living male. It measures over 2.33 metres (over 7.5 feet).

Actress Pamela Anderson was born on July 1st, 1967, in Ladysmith, BC, on Vancouver Island. She was the first child born in Canada on the 100th celebration of Canada Day (4:08 am), and was therefore named Canada’s “Centennial Baby”.

BC’s capital city Victoria, located on Vancouver Island, has an annual flower count at the end of the winter. Each year the community gets together to count more than one billion blooms. And speaking of Victoria – the city was named after the British Queen Victoria.

The wettest city of Canada is Prince Rupert on the west coast of British Columbia. With an average of 239.7 days of rain per year and a total amount of 2593.6 mm of rain per year (over 102 inches).

Vancouver Island is also home to the highest waterfall in Canada. The Della Falls in Strathcona Provincial Park are 440 metres high (over 1443 feet), which is more than eight times the height of Niagara Falls.

“The Hanging Garden Tree” on Meares Island close to Tofino is one of the oldest known western red cedars and is estimated to be between 1,500 and 2,000 years old.

British Columbian residents are healthy! In 2014, BC’s population had the lowest percentage of smokers at 14.3% compared to all other provinces. They also have the highest life expectancy in Canada, at 81.7 years (as of 2009).

Between 1917 and 1921, alcohol was prohibited in British Columbia.

Whistler is home to the longest unsupported cable car in the world. It connects the two peaks of the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort, one of the best resorts in North America for skiing and snowboarding.

The SS Minnow from “Gilligan’s Island” resides in BC now. It is owned by Vancouver Island supermarket chain Quality Foods.

Monique
October 29th, 2018, 07:35 AM
British Columbia is beautiful if anyone ever gets a chance to visit. I have seen the longest hockey stick.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 29th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I love BC and have been there many times on business and pleasure. Vancouver is such a diverse city. I have been to Whistler about 8x in winter and summer. It is beautiful even if I don't ski. You can still ride the whizard to the top of Blackcomb and enjoy the best latte. I am always in awe of the mountains, and never tire of its beauty. I love VictorIa as does DH when we went a few years ago. He wants to go back.

Highly recommend you visit it at least once.