PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: Left/Right Side Road Driving

Star lover
October 25th, 2018, 07:04 AM
In Sweden, Sept. 3, 1967, is remembered as Dagen H (H Day), the day drivers switched from driving on the left side of the road to driving on the right. (H stands for Hoger, the Swedish word for "right.")

Streets nationwide were closed for hours to give road crews a chance to rearrange road signs. Then, at 4:50 a.m., Swedish drivers switched sides and never looked back.

Today, drivers in more than 50 nations keep to the left and pass on the right. They include the United Kingdom, Australia and Ireland as well as India, Pakistan and Japan.

And the why of left or right......long story, but basically left was the rule back in the day of knights using swords on their horses. Most horsemen were right handed......charging/attacking worked best from the left side. Worked well in most British countries. When America wanted to cut ties with the British they did so in one way, by switching the side of the road......and the rest is history.......

There's so much to it, but to keep it short.....that's it in a nut she'll....

Monique
October 25th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Interesting, thanks.

amartin24
October 25th, 2018, 10:15 AM
I've always wondered. Thanks!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 25th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Fascinating. So I guess you could say that right handed driving countries are more progressive, and have changed with the times.

Judy, USMC
October 25th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Okinawa was under US control my first tour there in 1977 and we drove on the right with the steering wheel on the left. In 1978 control was given back to Japan and driving returned to the left side of the road which was their norm until World War II.

My second tour there in 1980 the driving returned to the left side and the steering wheel was on the right (passenger side.) I remember how shocked I was the first few days when I got in the car from the "American" driver's side and the steering wheel wasn't there. And then adjusting to driving while shifting the stick with my left hand took a couple of trips before it felt normal.

Navy Wife
October 25th, 2018, 06:41 PM
We took a sightseeing trip to Sweden, arriving on the day they changed sides! We had been in London for a year, so were used to driving on the left. They had a plan to combat those who got confused. If someone was driving in the wrong lane, you were to stop and flash your headlights. Dh had a few problems, especially making turns. But it only took a short time to change over. The rest of Europe was already driving on the right. Of course we had a big Ford station wagon, so we didn't get many arguments!

tesspug
October 28th, 2018, 07:04 PM
That is interesting since if you drive on the right the steering wheel is on the right. It would be difficult to drive on the left if you wheel was on the right.