PDA

View Full Version : Sunday hellos.

Monique
October 21st, 2018, 08:56 AM
Good morning friends. I had a busy day yesterday and it really didn't have anything to do with sewing.

I was up later than usual. Playing around on the puter for a bit. A call to Bonnie and then it was shower time. Well something happened and it seemed like I lost pressure so it was a very quick shower with no hair washing. It seems to work fine now, maybe just a piece of dirt or an air bubble. Off to Bonnie's house with my grabby thing and a big pair of gloves. Mouse #5 in the trap and #4 in the garbage can. EWWWW!! Found all the stuff on the list and bundled up the garbage to take with me. Off to the hospital. By now it is getting close to lunch, lunch comes and Bonnie refuses everything. So I offer to go get something. Hamburg and french fries it is but one for me. I stay and have lunch. Nurse informs her that they will be putting a drain in the wound after all. Turns out it is not an abscess but a fistula. She had a busy afternoon.

Hubby was back home later in the afternoon.

Not sure what today will bring. I will go check the trapline later at Bonnie's and probably pick up some embroidery she has that she can do at the hospital. She is not ready to go home just yet.

Looking out the window, it is snowing right now. Not expected to stay on the ground but temps are much cooler than what they were. UGH!!! So we might not go anywhere today after all.

Have a great Sunday folks.

JCY
October 21st, 2018, 09:15 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique, if you don't like setting those regular wooden mouse traps, you might try those glue boards. I get a pkg. of 4 at Walmart. They're sticky on the inside & will catch all sorts of spiders, crickets, & even mice. All you have to do it throw away the board in a plastic bag. No re-setting of traps. We use those glue boards all over the house b/c there are a lot of spiders here. Seldom does a mouse get into the house unless someone leaves the kitchen door open into the garage. I haven't even caught any mice yet this year in the garage. But as the weather gets colder, this certainly is the time of the year when they come in. Sorry to hear about Bonnie's fistula. I hope things heal up in a timely fashion.

The guild quilt show was yest. a.m. I went early. Category winners are chose by attendees' votes. The bed turning was from 10:30 to 11:45. I lost track of how many quilts they showed. Jeanne Wright is a nationally known quilt collector, historian, speaker, & appraiser. She's a member of our guild & always is fun to listen to. She has a story about each quilt. Her quilts date back to the early 1800's up to the present time. She's collected ~800 quilts. She was dressed up in period clothing & wore a big hat. Some of the hand quilting on those quilts was spectacular. Some of the quilts had such tiny pieces. One quilt had >13,000 pieces! All hand sewn & quilted. Amazing.

Our snow angel friend from church came at 1 p.m. to replace a window well cover for us. I had everything ready for him -- shop vac, soapy water, a glue board & 2 ant traps. It took him only 30 min. to do everything. That will be one less window DS will need to clean when he comes next mo.

I raked/swept up more leaves & trimmed back the perennials in the flower bed by the front porch. I cleaned the outside of several of the windows, front & back storm doors. Little by little I'm checking things off my to-do list.

This a.m. will be church. I hope to get some sewing done this afternoon.

Bubby
October 21st, 2018, 09:32 AM
Morning Everyone...Yesterday Jeff worked at the apartments and I stayed home with the Girls. I baked an Amish coffee cake and made stuffed red bell peppers for dinner. There were enough peppers for three meals, so two meals went into the freezer. They sure were good. Red bells are quite pricey here, so when they are on sale I snap up several and stuff them. Green peppers don't agree with us anymore.

Jeff has all of next week off unless there is an outright emergency at work. We will be taking two short day trips to look at areas for retirement. You sure look at things differently when retirement is looming. I wouldn't mind staying in this area, but build a place on the river, maybe on a bluff. We both love water.

Everything feels nice and cozy in my corner of the Ozarks. We had freezing temps last night. Time to pull out the sweatshirts and socks again.

Have a great day everyone. Hugs........

grammaterry
October 21st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Spent the day yesterday in the sewing room piecing on the old 715 platinum while I listened to the embroider machine do its thing. My goodness, that is a slow process. I embroidered the corners of the quilt in 4 hours!!. I think I'll fmq the rest of the borders. Its pretty , But I don't think its particularly creative. I am making a double wedding ring and thinking of embroidering the negative spaces in it. I think I understand the machine enough now to be able to do it without ruining the quilt. This first practice is definitely NOT a work of art. Maybe a beach blanket or a camping blanket.
A bit airish this morning. Don't know the temp because the wind has whipped the porch thermometer around backwards where I cant see it from the window and I figure its cold so I'm not going outside to check.
The days are nice though, sunny in the 60's. Make for a nice woods walk. The goldfish are just laying in the pond. The water is cold and they are not at all active. The cat just lays on the couch all day and the bird hollars that she wants to come in the house. Oh, fall. Chipmunks and squirrels competing with chickadees at the bird feeder. Speaking of which, DH built a BIG feeder so he doesn't have to fill it daily. Looks like it holds about 25 lbs of sunflower seeds. He put a wobbly attachment under it on the pole to ward off the squirrels and chipmunks. We'll see.
Bear season is open here and he really wants to get one. This summer he has 8 different bears on camera but as soon as the season opened , nadda. Just squirrels, racoons and chipmunks. Critters are sure smart.

Cathy F
October 21st, 2018, 10:14 AM
Morning all,

Quite a chilly morning here, looks like we had rain last night.

Not much is going on in my world except for some sewing for the upcoming craft fair. Need to get quite a bit done to have a nice assortment of items.

Barb, I'm with you on the peppers, green ones repeat on me but red, yellow, and orange ones are fine.

Time to get moving, have a few chores to be done. Wishing everyone a good day!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 21st, 2018, 10:42 AM
Good morning everyone,

I am really tired, stiffer and sore. The nodules on my fingers are inflamed. I guess they don't like my all day sewing. This is day 3 of in-town retreat. There was a dish for supper that was so spicy, most people left it. So far we are well feed. Maybe too much. Last night 2 of the ladies came over for a glass of wine. The guild decided that it was too expensive to buy the temporary liquor license, so it's a dry retreat.

I am really not pleased with my choice of pattern. Although Ribbon Star is simple, the instructions do not indicate squaring off sizes or size along the way, and I find I'm not liking the scrappy look of my jelly roll. After I had some blocks together, the lights of some did not look good, so I was making 4 more blocks last night (28 pcs ea). I had brought a second project to finish, but at this rate, I may just get the top done. I will go later this morning, and have been debating whether I should skip out for 3 hours to go to GD's 5th birthday. We were there Wednesday night. DH will go, but I don't think I will be missed with 20+ screaming kids. My DD may notice.

NOTE to self for any future retreats - plan the project that I plan to work on well ahead of time. I have been so busy lately that I decided to just pick a jelly roll, fabric and pattern and work on that. Lesson learned.

The cats are providing the morning humour, watching the flurries and leaves fly around the yard. We have a lot of blue jays, cardinals and woodpeckers coming to the feeders.

Monique - I hope Bonnie feels better now that they have found the issue. For mouse traps, we found very effective black plastic traps at CDN Tire. They work well. We had an issue one year in the garage/mud room. Caught them all, and blocked their source of entry.
Joy - you are lucky to have help with winterizing your home. We are behind but still have time.
Barb - I may have missed why you want to move for retirement. Is it for the climate, family or downsizing. I couldn't imagine moving away as this is where we have built our life. I would be sad moving away to new area. And oh, packing all that fabrics....

Enjoy your day. Stay warm and be safe.

Carolnnc
October 21st, 2018, 11:13 AM
Good morning. It's definitely fall here. The temperature is a chilly 46 degrees and we will see only the high 50's today.

I was up late last night watching tv in bed. I noticed a few gusts of strong wind but thought nothing of it. When I looked out this morning I saw the deck patio table umbrella at the back of the yard in the flower bed. That was a first!

DH is home today and he'll be moving the last few things in the yard to the storage unit or to his mothers. He's planning on watching a lot of football so that's about all I'll get out of him. I ironed fabric yesterday so I'll work on cutting for a lap quilt.

This coming week will be doctor appointments for both of us and the endodontist for me. The buyer's home inspection is Tuesday morning so I'll have to leave the house for three hours.

We have found three houses in Virginia that are around 2-3 hours from here that we hope to look at soon. We can't find anything in NC that's within a couple of hours from our town that we can afford. Our little town and area has boomed into an expensive metropolis. Five years ago you couldn't pay someone to take a building in our downtown area but downtown is now wrapped up with apartments going for over a million dollars. Our water bill has tripled and so has property taxes. They have thrown up so many cookie cutters houses around us that we fear trying to get out of our driveway. We are so looking forward to finding a nice quiet small town that's not in danger of growing!

Well DH is circling the kitchen so I guess breakfast is in order:)

Have a great day.

Bubby
October 21st, 2018, 12:01 PM
Good morning. It's definitely fall here. The temperature is a chilly 46 degrees and we will see only the high 50's today.

I was up late last night watching tv in bed. I noticed a few gusts of strong wind but thought nothing of it. When I looked out this morning I saw the deck patio table umbrella at the back of the yard in the flower bed. That was a first!

DH is home today and he'll be moving the last few things in the yard to the storage unit or to his mothers. He's planning on watching a lot of football so that's about all I'll get out of him. I ironed fabric yesterday so I'll work on cutting for a lap quilt.

This coming week will be doctor appointments for both of us and the endodontist for me. The buyer's home inspection is Tuesday morning so I'll have to leave the house for three hours.

We have found three houses in Virginia that are around 2-3 hours from here that we hope to look at soon. We can't find anything in NC that's within a couple of hours from our town that we can afford. Our little town and area has boomed into an expensive metropolis. Five years ago you couldn't pay someone to take a building in our downtown area but downtown is now wrapped up with apartments going for over a million dollars. Our water bill has tripled and so has property taxes. They have thrown up so many cookie cutters houses around us that we fear trying to get out of our driveway. We are so looking forward to finding a nice quiet small town that's not in danger of growing!

Well DH is circling the kitchen so I guess breakfast is in order:)

Have a great day.

Good Luck with your home inspection, Carol. I was a nervous wreck the day one was done on our old house, but it turned out fine.

toggpine
October 21st, 2018, 01:08 PM
It's another foggy start to the day.
I managed to get all of the grain shifted to the outer buildings yesterday before I decided to trim the feet of the boys. The big buck was pretty well behaved on his trip down to the big barn for his pedicure. He was a tad sassy when it was time to head back up, but he came along. Then he decided he didn't need to obey me when I let the wether out for his turn. He put his head down and shoved me, bulldozer-style, into the hay feeder. The angle had me pinned and I had trouble grabbing his beard to raise his head.
My husband heard me holler at the buck and looked out to see Wynton the wether moseying across the backyard towards the big barn. He came out to help, and was treated to me chewing out the offending goat while I sat him on his butt. I was so mad I was shaking when I finished putting him in his place. If he doesn't straighten up, he's going in the freezer.

I came in for a hot shower then spent the rest of the day watching college football and cutting fabric for projects. Now, I'll head back into the sewing room for more cutting and then see how far I can get on sewing the two diaper bags.
First stop is the coffee pot though! You all have a great day!

baslp
October 21st, 2018, 02:09 PM
Good afternoon. We are having great weather here in SD— sunny, warm, little wind. We are heading back to Rapid City to visit my mother—in - law. We had a nice time visiting with family. The hunters got 7 birds. Tomorrow we are attending N.Y. nephew’s wedding.

I am getting weary and would like to get back home. I did go to a nice quilt store but did not see any fabric I just had to have for my stash.

Have a great rest of the day.
Beth

JulieC
October 21st, 2018, 04:08 PM
Good afternoon!

Talk about a late start today -- the power went out yesterday afternoon and came back on about an hour ago. All the food in the freezer is a loss; I didn't have too many perishables in the fridge. I need to go grocery shopping but want to give the fridge time to cool back down...unfortunately, I don't have a thermometer in there. I will wait until later in the week to re-stock the freezer.

It's nice to have the furnace back on, but I got so used to the house being 50-something that 67 degrees feels like a sauna!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Mimi_Howard
October 21st, 2018, 06:58 PM
Spent the day going thru Christmas decorations, told my kids to claim what they wanted now for most was being donated. One of the granddaughters sent word to me to see if I had a house that has lights in it.. oh my word YES. Told my daughter to tell the little one she will bet getting an entire Village. My late mother would decorate big table top with houses, cars, people, etc. So I managed to wrangle up 11 houses with accessories. Yeah! Oh and 3 houses were not in boxes, hmmm what do I put them in to keep them from breaking (mom had them wrapped in old fake snow (AKA pillow stuffing stuff)... HEY I got lots of bits of quilt batting. PERFECT! Those little people and their cars and 3 big houses are snug as a bug in a rug and well protected for the road trip to new home!