PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: Dachshunds

Star lover
October 18th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Dachshunds were originally bred in 1600 to hunt dachs, which is German for badgers.
Their short legs allow them to enter badger dens, and their fierce gusto gives them the courage to take on the 15-pound mammals.

dwil23
October 18th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Having owned four doxies, three of which are still living, I can tell you they are hunters! Our "worst one", Kellie Jo, hunts down frogs and lizards every time she gets out. The other night I opened the door to let them in and I see her ferociously tugging at the fence. Next thing I know she is running toward me with a very large frog (not a toad) in her mouth and the frog is still holding on to a stick about 3 ft long!. I slammed the door shut to keep her from bringing it in the house. A few minutes later I opened the door and she came in - frog free - or so I thought. Guess she had "chipmunked" it. My daughter who is deathly afraid of frogs encountered it in the laundry room later - then I got the hysterical, crying phone call after I got to work :icon_rolleyes:

Once, she also took down a rat nearly as big as she is. Even though her "taste" is s really gross, she is a sweetheart - as are the others.

laura44
October 18th, 2018, 12:31 PM
My dachshund mix lived to be 17. Yes they are hunters. My son
has a mini doxie, she is the sweetest dog ever.

Hulamoon
October 18th, 2018, 01:07 PM
We had two Toy Dachshunds when I was younger. They are such sweet dogs. We also had a raccoon at the same time and they would swim in the pool together. But it was the raccoon swimming after them. So I'm not sure I saw any hunter in them. lol