PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest - get-together at a retreat in No. Indiana?

Judy, USMC
October 17th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I've located a retreat being held early April, 2019 in Northern Indiana Amish country - Shipshewana. Thought it might be a great opportunity for some of us to finally meet one another. Straight sewing - no formal classes (we could always do our own thing.) 49 open spots now ... we would be among other quilters who may or may not be familiar with M*. I'm definitely planning on going.

Sewing room available early am to late pm so you can sew as much as you want whenever you want. 3 1/2 days of sewing at your own 6 ft table. Bring your own machine & tools. Estimate 4 nights lodging and sewing room access would be $300 (double occupancy); $500 single; Subtract $50 if accompanied by a non-sewer. MEALS NOT INCLUDED.

I know it may be too far in advance for some of you to plan ... but if you are interested please pm me so I can send the specifics and links. And if you've been to one there recently please share your experience.

MissMay
October 17th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Sounds like a very good deal, much like the Hoe Down retreats we used to have in Lancaster, PA. I've been to Shipshewana area and it's lovely and lots of quilt shops.

Ltoppins
October 18th, 2018, 12:29 AM
When exactly in April?

jjmanago
October 18th, 2018, 01:35 AM
This is April 10-14

bubba
October 18th, 2018, 02:23 AM
I tried to get my driver to take me there on our recent road trip, but she flat out refused!!

Judy, USMC
October 18th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I tried to get my driver to take me there on our recent road trip, but she flat out refused!!

Have you ever been to a retreat there? Or considering this one? PM me if you want more info ...

Doloris
October 18th, 2018, 07:09 AM

Only because it was over 100 miles out of our way.

Astatoo
October 18th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I would love to revisit Shipshewana, got there last spring but unfortunately we were with a couple who are not at all interested in quilting so was just able to stop in quickly to 2 shops.

Judy, USMC
October 18th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Nice of you to explain ... but back to the same question ... Have you ever been to a retreat there so you can share your experience? Interested in this one? I know you are closer in Ohio.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Judy, USMC
October 18th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Thanks Astatoo. The Cotton Corner and Yoder's are great and Davis Mercantile hosts Lolly's and Lolly's Downstairs. Great places to fabric shop.

Doloris
October 18th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Nice of you to explain ... but back to the same question ... Have you ever been to a retreat there so you can share your experience? Interested in this one? I know you are closer in Ohio.

PM me if you'd like more info.
Never been there, but have Holmes County Ohio Amish country very near me. Still would like to visit Shipshawana sometime. A retreat there would not be out of the question. Definitely need more info though

Jean Sewing Machine
October 18th, 2018, 08:06 PM
What bigger city is it near? Would certainly be doable for me, and so far no conflicts on those dates.

Doloris
October 18th, 2018, 08:29 PM
What bigger city is it near? Would certainly be doable for me, and so far no conflicts on those dates.

Not much around there. Fort Wayne is not too far. It is east of Chicago. Lots of smaller cities

Judy, USMC
October 18th, 2018, 10:07 PM
What bigger city is it near?

Closest one larger traveling from the west would be Elkhart, IN. Major city would be Chicago but you don't have to go that far north; from St Louis it's a straight shot up 55 to Joliet and then I-80 eastward past Gary. You would go this/close to South Bend and Notre Dame, IN. Yep, THAT Notre Dame is less than an hour to Shipshewana. You could also route I-70 to Indianapolis; take IN-31 north to South Bend; then east which would be 7 hrs driving. And finally, I-70 to Indianapolis then I-65 north almost to Fort Wayne to IN-33 also 7 hour drive.

Interested in airports? OHare and Midway are in Chicago but would be 2 - 2 1/2 hrs away. Fort Wayne, South Bend, and Kalamazoo, Michigan, have smaller facilities.

bubba
October 19th, 2018, 12:27 AM

It was 1.5 inches!!!!

bubba
October 19th, 2018, 12:28 AM
Never been there, but have Holmes County Ohio Amish country very near me. Still would like to visit Shipshawana sometime. A retreat there would not be out of the question. Definitely need more info though

..........oh really??