PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Good Mornings

KPH
October 14th, 2018, 08:07 AM
It's dark, it's cool, who knows what the day will bring!

Yesterday was lovely! It wasn't too hot, nice breeze, and sunny all day. It was enjoyable to be out and about. From the sounds of it, Michael was a pain in Charlotte's butt. My aunt and uncle were without power for 30 hours, and cousins in Danville, VA were still without power last night.

Big plans for today when I get home from church.... lol, it's sad, but the laundry has got to be done. I'm planning on finishing up the baby quilt and then starting on the borders of the Christmas quilt. Little kids will be here tomorrow morning, so all the cutting stuff has to be put away for safety!

So this week, while Mike's gone, I'm hoping to get several things finished!

I hope everyone has a great day.

Prayers for those in need, prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Monique
October 14th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Good morning Katrina and all who follow. I had a busy day yesterday. I went to say goodbye to Kelly who ran the greenhouse. She will be so missed. We had a great chat and I got to take home a Mum. Then it was off to the baby shower and I got to see some friends I haven't seen in a while. It was well attended and the quilt was well received as well as I figured it would be. I didn't do much after that except have a late nap.

I think Les and I are taking a road trip today, not sure about that but I think it is in the cards, LOL!! I really need to get into my sewing room.

Have a great day everyone.

baslp
October 14th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Good morning. Yesterday I was not home much. I went to the mall to pick up the pants I ordered. We went to a murder mystery dinner last night. Today I need to do laundry and get to the store. I would like to piece a few more blocks of my new quilt.

Chilly temps this morning— 47 degrees. I turned our heat on last night. I am not looking forward to colder weather.

Have a great day. Beth

Bubby
October 14th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Morning Everyone...Just sitting here sipping a cup of tea. The Girls are napping already and Jeff is on the porch drinking coffee. It's too cold for me out there today.

I cooked a roast yesterday and we have leftover chili, so there will be little cooking here today. I need to make some cornbread and that's about it.

Wishing everyone a cozy day. For those dealing with the aftermath of Michael, I pray for strength and safety. Hugs...

JulieC
October 14th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Good morning! I am also drinking tea this morning. The bunny was rather playful and wanted to chase her blanket. It's a quarter yard of fleece with the edges sewn down. Her previous owner gave it to me when I brought Willow home. If I hold it up, she will race after it and try to catch it. She also likes to wrap herself up in it. 155575

I need to make a quick run to the grocery store this morning, that will free up my afternoon for yard work. I also have a small turkey breast to cook for dinner tonight...after I visit with Mom, of course!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

JCY
October 14th, 2018, 09:09 AM
A cold & snowy good morning! ~ It's only 26 deg. & still snowing. It looks like there are at least 5" of wet snow piled up on the picnic table already, & it's supposed to snow till noon. The flower pot plants & tree branches are laden down with snow. All the trees still have their leaves, so I'm hoping there won't be any breakage. As is often the case here, we get a beautiful warm day prior to a storm. Yest. it was clear blue skies, sunny, & 72 deg. This is a fast moving storm. By mid-week it will be back up to the 60's. It is my Sun. to play the organ at church, but I told the music pastor I was not going out in this weather. Our snow angel from church will come by later today to shovel the driveway & walk.

I'm so glad I made that run to the groc. store yest. I have everything I need for making chicken soup in the morning. Today I'll relax at home, work on my Bible study lesson, & do more sewing. Yest. I cut all the 5" squares for the D9P for the pink bunny baby quilt. I have 2 blocks assembled. It should go pretty smoothly, as long as I make sure I position the squares correctly! I flubbed up on one block, so that will become a practice block.

Have a good day. Time to fix DH's breakfast.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 14th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Good morning. Another coolish day, but at least it's sunny.
Last night I was just pooped from my day and crashed at 9:30pm. I went to bring back my mom's laundry & pick up items at store for her. When I got there, she said she was dizzy and felt confused. I went to see the nurse who said she had taken her pressure. While I consider it high, they don't for her. Mom said they had not applied her cream to her abdomen. When the nurse did, I saw it was red, but not yet infected. You really have to be on their case to get the proper care.

After I went to look at step son's new toilet. The lever inside tank gets stuck and it keeps on running. I told him to remove tank and just pull on the part. Then it stops. Doesn't always do it. Then I looked at the tub and surround we had replaced 2 years ago, and left him a nasty note to clean up, or the rent goes up. Then went to plumbing store to pick parts for our toilet. Saturday crew could not find the order, so after 45 mins they suggested I come back Monday. Frustrating. Then I dropped by VV and found 2x2yard cuts of cute Timeless Treasure kids print. I then went to a senior's' trade show near my area. I picked up good information on travel & River cruises and informed there was a full show today. I want to bring DH, but after a day of yardwork on Friday and gliding in the cold yesterday, he may not be up for it. I think he is more fearful that I want to start spending money and booking lots of trips. And yes, I do. At his and my age, we cannot wait to travel or he may not be able to.

Then I went to a outdoor market & craft show with 40 vendors. Didn't need anything, but I ordered Tupperware kids spill proof tumblers and new lids for salt & pepper. Then I picked up blanched almonds to make witches fingers, but will have to search for red gel. They were out. Then groceries and gas. I had been running errands 6 hours by the time I got home. DH & I went out to dinner for pasta, and greeted friends who were there.

Today will be a flip of the coin, as half my morning is gone. Yardwork or travel show. Maybe neither and it will be sewing instead.

Hoping all are safe after Michael's damage. So much devastation. Very sad. I still haven't heard from my GF, but it may be that she doesn't have Internet connection.

Sylvia H
October 14th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Good morning everyone. It is almost noon here in Pennsylvania, and I have just finished my breakfast. I have to wait a long time for breakfast, as I have two different medications that I have to take on an empty stomach, and I don't think I can take them together. I'll check with the doctor when I see him on Tuesday.

It is chilly here, and I am trying to avoid turning on the heat. I have gone from short sleaves on Friday to long sleaves today. I am also wearing wool socks. The house is not getting much heat from outside because it is a bit cloudy. I think I will be able to make it through today, however. I'll just have to take it one day at a time regarding when I will finally break down and turn on the heat.

My son is coming over this afternoon to finally fix the two outlets in my sewing room that shorted out. I particularly need the one next to the ironing board fixed. I have had to get up and walk around my machine to the cutting table to iron. On the cutting table, I have one of those very small portable ironing boards - not very good for even ironing fat quarters! This also entails tying up the cutting board for ironing. All in all, ths has not been a very efficient way for cutting and ironing.

I just made myself a cup of tea - waiting for it to finish steeping. I pretty much stopped drinking coffee in 2017, but haven't fully embraced tea. Now, though, with colder weather, I may be making more tea. I didn't voluntarily give up coffee. In the summer of 2017, I developed ulcers inside my mouth and on my tongue, and coffee was irritating. It took a long time for those ulcers to go away - I sometimes think this was the beginning of many of the medical problems I have had this year.

My sewing room is quite disheveled! I have beern on a mission to make a set of fall colored place mats, but I haven't been satisfied with the various combinations of available fabrics that I have. (I am definitely not going to buy fabric for this project.) I do have one more bin of fabric to look through. Here's hoping I will find something more to my liking.

I have, however, through this extended fabric search, found even more scrap fabric that has to be cut up into various sizes for more scrappy quilts. Boy, will I be happy when this room is organized again.

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable day.

JCY
October 14th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Well, phooey! I was going to post some pics of today's snow, but I'm still getting that message (a red exclamation mark) that says my files are too big. I thought I'd create an album, but nope! Same red exclamation mark, so unless the Forum changes whatever they are doing that's different, I won't be able to post any more pictures here. I've been posting pics here ever since I joined; I'm using the same camera, & have the same Shrink Pictures program on my computer. So I don't know what the issue is. But it's very frustrating! Anybody have any ideas?

I went outside a while ago & cleared snow off the picnic table & areas of the house & 2 sheds where it was needed. Our snow angel came early before church time & shoveled for us. I measured 5" on the picnic table, with a layer of ice underneath. On the level ground in one area I measured 6" & in another, 8". It's still snowing lightly. It's a very wet, heavy snow, so it will be good moisture for the lawn.

Julie ~ Your bunny & his fleece blanket are cute!

Cokie
October 14th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Good morning all - afternoon now, I guess. I woke up with a headache this morning so laid back down for a while. I know it's from the changing weather. It was in the high 80's earlier in the week and cooled down to highs in the 50's. It got down into the 30's last night so the furnace is on. Yesterday I actually got to sew for a bit. I'm making some little bags as gifts and found an in-the-hoop embroidery pattern that I really like. I did four of them yesterday - I think sometimes it takes me longer to decide on fabrics than to actually do the embroidery! My son stopped by after work last night and I showed him what I was working on, and said, "Wow you really nailed it matching up the colors to the people!" Made me feel good that even he noticed that! And everything was made with scraps from my stash. Win-win. :icon_happy:

Today will be laundry and maybe a run to the grocery store later. Might do a little baking too. Makes things feel cozy when it's cooler outside. First gotta finish my coffee and checking in here. I already gave in to today's DD. I've been trying not to buy fabric for new projects but I absolutely love today's line. I used Kansas Troubles fabrics for most of my first quilt project for a beginner quilt class and fell in love with that fabric line.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

BethB
October 14th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Good afternoon all. The weather has definitely changed here. Last week I was still wearing short sleeves, capris and flip flops. Now it is long sleeves, long pants and socks and shoes. Plus, a heavy sweater to wear in the house. It is quite chilly right now --- and cloudy so no sun to warm it up and I really do not want to turn on the heat yet. Since my husband passed away in March, my daughter and son-in-law have been coming up and mowing the grass for me. I am beginning to think about snow and what to do with that. My DH has a snow blower in the shed, but it is too big for me (I can barely grip the handles of it). He told me to trade it in on something a little smaller, but not sure I want to spend the money right now. My daughter and SIL said they will come up and do the snow for me, but they have their own place to take care of and, since they are still in their early 30's, they both work all day. Last year, some of the neighbors did my snow when Ron was in the hospital, but now he's gone and I am left with this to do myself. A friend told me to start looking for someone I can hire to do the snow, but I really have no idea where to start. I don't really like the idea of using something like "Angie's List". I started that when I was looking for a concrete contractor and you have to put so much info in, and I don't really want to get a zillion calls --- get too many junk calls now. There doesn't seem to be many kids left in the neighborhood --- fewer school buses coming through and those look pretty empty -- and I don't see many kids out playing.

Oh well. Guess I will eventually figure this out --- hopefully before winter is over.

Have a great day -- at least whatever is left of it.

Nancy

toggpine
October 14th, 2018, 03:44 PM
The family drama finally worked itself out.
The kids lied to us. Not everything was OK. They also told the other grandma not to "tell". (We had a talk about that, and decided Moms need to know things and we can overrule in certain instances.)
The doctor cut the baby during the c-section. They tried the butterfly strips to close it, but it wasn't holding well. They had to put in stitches and gave the baby morphine. That sent her to the NICU for the night while that worked out of her system. While that was happening, DIL was having some bleeding problems. They pulled her back in to the OR to remove a huge blood clot.
Our son decided he didn't want to tell us any of that via phone or text. I do believe he now understands that the only reason his father and I carry these annoying electronics is for precisely THAT kind of communication.
All of the girls are now doing well. They were working on getting Raelynn Grace to eat. She thinks about it, then naps.

We have the grandson here with us watching the Seahawks/Raiders game. Then we are headed outside to shift some of the goat kids around to new pens. There will probably be some playing with the dogs and chasing the turkeys around. Then we'll head back to the hospital to see everybody and return the grand kid.

On our return trip I'll see if I can get the family to detour to the fabric store to see if I can find the Solarize fabric for the lunch bag pattern I want to try with the after school sewing class. (I guess if I'm driving, I get to say where we stop!)

I have the second half to go figure out how to download audio books to my new MP3 player. A fair amount of my audiobooks are now coming on MP3 discs instead of CDs. Now I can listen to a book while I clean the barn or use the weed whacker to clear the fence line. Multi tasking!

I hope you all are having a fabulous Sunday!

toggpine
October 14th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Nancy,
You might call the local high school. Sometimes they will post jobs like that in the counseling center, or they may know of a kid who could use the job.
If you are on Facebook, we have a local page and we can post requests for help with jobs like that. People can recommend folks who have done a good job for them. It can get kind of snarky at times, but mostly it's helpful information.

JulieC
October 14th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Nancy,

A lot of lawn care companies do snow removal in the winter. Or, if you have a senior center where you live, they should be able to recommend a couple of people. The senior center where I live has a social worker on staff who sent us a list of referrals for all sorts of things -- yard work, grocery delivery, gutter cleaning, etc. You could also ask around at your church.

MissMay
October 14th, 2018, 04:58 PM
GOOD AFTERNOON! Finally up and dressed as I slept the morning and part of the afternoon away, feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Don't feel like eating but have had a few cups of tea, not only does the tea taste good but the steam from the mug seems to be opening up my nose. Certainly don't feel like eating let alone cooking so DH & DS#1 will have to fend for themselves. Pantry and fridge are a little bare so they can go through our restaurant gift cards and order something for themselves. Only requirement is that they keep the tea pot filled and warm for my supper, hmm some buttered rye bread toast might be good also.

Hoping everyone is feeling much better than I am and you're enjoying the fall leaves and flowers, so colorful a sight.

Cokie
October 14th, 2018, 06:18 PM
toggpine, I have tears in my eyes for your baby granddaughter! I hope her injury wasn't anything that will cause further problems for her. Poor little thing! Love her name. Hope everything else goes well.

Bubby
October 14th, 2018, 07:07 PM
toggpine, I have tears in my eyes for your baby granddaughter! I hope her injury wasn't anything that will cause further problems for her. Poor little thing! Love her name. Hope everything else goes well.

I agree...poor little sweetie. I hope she's well on the mend and gets to come home soon. I also hope your DIL is doing fine.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 14th, 2018, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Cokie;
I already gave in to today's DD. I've been trying not to buy fabric for new projects but I absolutely love today's line. I used Kansas Troubles fabrics for most of my first quilt project for a beginner quilt class and fell in love with that fabric line.
![/QUOTE]

I also caved in and got today's DD. While these aren't my usual colour choices, I fell in love with Kansas Troubles fabrics this summer after we visited the shop and met Lynn Hagmeier. B love the quality of fabric and softness of flannels.

KPH
October 14th, 2018, 11:23 PM
Toggpine, I hope your granddaughter is more alert and doing better. As far as the kids, geez, they think they're protecting us but digging their own holes.

When we lived in NC, my oldest would call with every bad thing.... car wrecks, getting mugged, etc. Now that we're down here, I hear when he wants something, or to keep the kids. Go figure!

I really hope turns out well for the young family. That's a lot of stress on them too.