PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Hellos!

JCY
October 13th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I suppose someone else may be posting at the same time as I am. Anyway, I hope it's a good morning wherever you are. It's 38 deg. here. We're supposed to have a nice morning, maybe even sunshine, but then the cold weather is moving in. They're predicting 3-6" of snow by tomorrow. And it's my Sun. to play at church. I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Temps. are expected to drop into the 20's. Brrr.

I had a productive day yest. Changed the bed, aired the pillows out in the sun, & did laundry. By mid-day, the sun had warmed things up into the 60's. I decided to do the annual cleaning of our various fans. (A job DH always used to do when he was in better health.) I worked outside on the patio in the sunshine where it was pleasant. Cleaned 5 fans. Glad that job is done for the year. All the time I was working out there, a young rabbit had nestled under some of the perennials right next to the patio. It was only ~4 ft. from me. I also stored the hoses on the rack so the patio is clear for snow removal.

My M* star order with the bunnies yardage came yest. In the eve. I selected coordinating fabrics & made a sample block. I'm making the D9P -- Donna Jordan's layout -- so each block will be the same. By chain piecing, I think it will go together rather quickly.

I'm headed to the groc. store this a.m. to beat the snow. I need to buy chicken & a few things. It's time to make chicken soup again on Mon.

Have a good week end.

Bubby
October 13th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Good Morning Joy and Everyone...Our heat feels good this morning....it's barely 40 degrees. This cooler weather makes the pups really frisky.

Jeff has to go to the apartments today and I will stay home. This is a drag for Jeff but when all of our apartments are occupied we don't have a place to shelter the Girls. We are gone way too many hours to leave them at home.

My big news is that my DGS bought the engagement ring and he will be proposing on the beach toward the end of the month. I have a few months to put together a wedding quilt. His fiancee loves vintage and everything quilty. At last there will be someone in the family who appreciates quilts.

I cooked a big pot of chili and I may make a loaf of beer bread to go with it today. This is definitely soup weather. Time to put the flip flops away and get out the socks and flannel shirts.

Wishing everyone a safe and peaceful Saturday...I will check in later.

KPH
October 13th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Good Morning Everyone.

It was a quiet but busy day here. Joy mentioned something about baby quilts yesterday. I thought, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a couple of tops knocked out while Mike is in Connecticut. I have several things I've bought for baby quilts, just haven't pulled them off the stack. I'm rambling, anyway, Later in my email, there was a name that kind of rang a bell, but not completely. So, I opened it. You guessed it, an invitation to a baby shower. I pulled the jolly bar, a charm pack, and the booklet from FQS and made the blocks yesterday. I'll get them put together today. Before Mike leaves, I'll hit Cinnamon's to get coordinating fabric for the border.

Today, we're going to find the library down town for Jax Makes. I'm not sure that it's that big of a deal since it only lasts 4 hours, but it's something to do.

I guess it's going to feel like fall today. According to the weather station in the bedroom, the low was 47. It's warming up pretty fast, as it's 65 right now. Cross my fingers, it's starting to feel like fall... a little. Maybe it will be nice enough to work in the garage for a little bit today.

Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Monique
October 13th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Just a quick hello this morning. I am off to a customer appreciation gathering first and then it is off to baby shower this afternoon. The dalmation quilt I made is for this. I will hold off putting a tag on the back as they haven't stated what the baby's name will be.

So that is what my day looks like. It looks like clouds are settling in. We have been seeing sunshine all morning.

Have a great day everyone.

Carol336
October 13th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Good morning everyone. Sunny day here thus far - so DH and DGS have gone fishing - Praise the Lord!!! It means I have the place to myself and can get some sewing done. I feel a tad bad saying that because DH doesn't really care if I sew all day - but he likes to come in my sewing room and chat - a lot!!! And if he has any errands to run he likes me to go with. Sometimes I wiggle out of it, but mostly I just go along. Not really complaining because the alternative would be soooooo much worse. But it really is fun for a me day every now and then. The thing I miss most in retirement is getting to set the pace of the day for myself. But hey - the man COOKS - I'll take those little rides - LOL.

My surgery is in a week and I'm starting to get a little stressed. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought - I should make myself a lap quilt to take to the hospital with me. Now I'm telling you right now that that is NOT going to happen. Then I thought - I need to make myself a nice tote to carry my stuff to the hospital in. Can I just tell you how many totes I have in my closet. Next I thought I really need to get the house cleaned and in order before I go in the hospital.....that REALLY is NOT going to happen - LOL.
Why doesn't it pop into my head to get a mani and pedi - or a nice massage to help relieve this stress!!!!!

So I packed DH a nice lunch and promised him some nice hot soup for dinner and then I gathered all the stuff for a couple of those cute bags that Terry was making a few weeks ago. Already got the outside of one cranked out - love it. Having a nice cuppa and heading back in to make another one. They are addictive.

Went to Longwood Gardens yesterday with some dear friends and we stopped in Kennett Square - mushroom capital of the world - and got some lovely mushrooms. Gonna make DH some soup with them later. - yum.

Have a lovely Saturday everyone

JulieC
October 13th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Carol -- sending prayers for your surgery next week.

It's a rainy day today, which means no yard work! Yay! That means I can spend some guilt-free time in the sewing room. I need to appliqué a star on my Christmas tree wall hanging. I ordered backing for it from fabric.com, they sent me a shipping notice the same day I ordered, so I'm hoping it comes today. I was going to piece the backing from my stash, but there are so many seams -- it was pieced with 2.5" squares -- I want the back as flat as possible when I quilt it on my embroidery machine.

Our record-setting 80+ degree weather has given way to true fall temperatures -- highs in the 50's today and for most of next week. I was eyeing one of my favorite recipes last night, for a chicken & sweet potato chowder. I need to make a trip to the grocery store before I can make it, though. The recipe is from Land O'Lakes https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/17368/chicken-sweet-potato-chowder/.

I'm looking forward to taking my sister down to Amish country on Thursday. The forecast right now is for temps in the 50's and clear. This is Northeast Ohio, though -- anything can happen between now and then! We won't have a lot a time in Berlin, but I'm hoping to find a place that sells apple butter. Mom used to get apple butter from Amish country whenever she & Dad took a road trip.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Cokie
October 13th, 2018, 12:17 PM
[/QUOTE]I'm looking forward to taking my sister down to Amish country on Thursday. The forecast right now is for temps in the 50's and clear. This is Northeast Ohio, though -- anything can happen between now and then! We won't have a lot a time in Berlin, but I'm hoping to find a place that sells apple butter. Mom used to get apple butter from Amish country whenever she & Dad took a road trip. [/QUOTE]

Julie, if you're going to Berlin, stop at The Ashery. It's not far from Berlin and carries all kinds of products made locally in Ohio - jams, jellies, honey, etc. You'll surely find apple butter there, as well as pumpkin butter, and their prices are very reasonable. https://www.asherycountrystore.com/

MissMay
October 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Barb, Yes, it certainly is soup weather here in the East, we had tomato soup with acini de pepe macaroni last night. Found a few garlic bread sticks in the freezer to go with the soup for a good meal especially since DH wasn't feeling well. Going over my soup recipes to make sure I pick up the fresh items needed for them. Always have chicken and veggie stock on hand. You know I never remember my mom using canned stocks/broths for her soups, she used whole chickens, beef soup meat and bones. What did your mom use?

Carol 155553to get through the days until your surgery. You'll be a new person when it's over.

Star lover
October 13th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I'm looking forward to taking my sister down to Amish country on Thursday. The forecast right now is for temps in the 50's and clear. This is Northeast Ohio, though -- anything can happen between now and then! We won't have a lot a time in Berlin, but I'm hoping to find a place that sells apple butter. Mom used to get apple butter from Amish country whenever she & Dad took a road trip. !

Julie, I love Berlin, OH. I was just there a few weeks ago. During the week is the best time to go......way to crowded on The Weeknd's.
So sad that Gandma Fannies closed a bit back. There's a new shop more in the multi store area, but very disappointing......they have some stuff, just so very little. So we went to Charm, 2 stores. 1 with minky, flannel, etc, the other has the cottons.

Carol, I too will be joining many here for a successful surgery next week. Lots of love and hugs going your way.

Soup.....yum.....made a huge pot of chili and have some frozen for future days when I don't want to cook .....just eat! And sew!!

Hope everyone has something to smile about....enjoy your day!

JulieC
October 13th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Julie, if you're going to Berlin, stop at The Ashery. It's not far from Berlin and carries all kinds of products made locally in Ohio - jams, jellies, honey, etc. You'll surely find apple butter there, as well as pumpkin butter, and their prices are very reasonable. https://www.asherycountrystore.com/

Thank you! Mom used to talk about the Ashery, but I couldn't remember the name. I will make sure we stop by.

toggpine
October 13th, 2018, 03:42 PM
The rainy weather pattern has broken. According to weather guy, it may be dry for up to two weeks! Yea! I can finish off a few outdoor chores, like shutting down the garden for fall and cleaning up the last of the windfall apples. Certainly much nicer tasks in the not-pouring rain.
We had some good news that has turned a bit sour. My step-son and his wife went in to the hospital yesterday. The baby was at about 36 weeks, and hadn't flipped from the breech position. The OB decided to try inversion to flip the baby. Depending on how things went, we were going to go pick up the older grandson from his mother.
Apparently it didn't work and they opted for a c-section. We received the news (and a pic) that mom and baby were fine at about 2:45. No further complications. We were so excited for them! I had plans to swing by the house after work, throw some feed at the critters, pick up some balloons and make tracks to the hospital.
The kids didn't want to know the sex of the baby before it was born. No problem. We didn't either. They left the birth info off the pic and there was no indication in the photo either. There was a lot of family that didn't know this was happening until they saw the Facebook post about them heading into the hospital for the flip. Grandparents, great-grands living out of state, an aunt with cancer who has no business inside a hospital, etc. Dad and I texted back to ask about the sex of the baby, and they wouldn't tell us. We bantered back and forth. It was funny for a little bit.
After over an hour it wasn't. I texted to see if I need to pick up GS, as it would take me well over an hour to get to his mother's at that time of day. I was told no. They had it under control. Fine. I'm kinda pissy at this point. (Many of us have done some serious work to get these two into a house and get them set up before the baby arrived.)
Em catches the bus to be dropped off at my school for the end of the day. I told Em she was an auntie again, but I couldn't tell her if she had a niece or another nephew. I headed home to do chores and decide if I'm going to make the trip into the hospital.
Hubby calls me to see if he needs to pick up GS on his way home. From the info I have, the answer is no.
He is NOT happy with his son and their shenanigans. Instead of stopping by the hospital, he's coming straight home. About 30 min later I get a text from the kids wanting to know if we are coming to the hospital that night. They want us to pick up GS from there. I told him to call his father, as he might still be on that side of the bridge. The reply from Son was "not right now, but later."
This would mean that Hubby comes all of the way home (arriving @ 6:30/7PM) does chores/showers/dinner and drives an hour back (+$5 bridge toll) or I do. I called Hubby to see what he wanted me to do. (I could go as soon as I finished feeding/milking chores.) He was ROYALLY peeved and said he'd deal with it when he got home.
A father to son phone call was made, and words were said. Apparently they wanted us to come get GS and still keep him for the entire weekend so they could "bond" as a family. (Original plan if things went sideways during delivery was for us to take GS.) Hubby told Son to take his own son home and let Mom and Baby rest for the night. Then they could all bond as a family.
We haven't been to see the baby. We had to call the great-grands on our side and tell them the baby arrived, but we don't know what it is. Auntie, who bought them an A.C. unit this summer to keep them all comfy during our heat wave and the end of her pregnancy, hasn't even been told. With Auntie's chemo-compromised immune system, she has no business in a hospital. I'm pretty disappointed, as I had hoped this would be a better situation than when the first one came along.
Sorry for the rant. I just needed to blow that bit out there.
I see some serious heavy labor being done around here this weekend. I already have heard the yard swing taken down. Now the sounds of the splitting maul thwacking into the firewood rounds is making its way up the hill from the barn. Yep. Dad's still peeved.

I'm gonna make a run into the feed store for some bedding and the barn gets cleaned out today too. At least the farm chores will benefit from our frustrations!

On a happy note: I ordered a Micheal Miller panel with Fairies on it. It arrived and is super cute. It will be perfect for the project I have planned! I may even go buy that Brother sewing/quilting machine they have on sale at Costco, especially if the bobbins are the same size as my other machine. Sewing therapy!

Have a good one Quilty Friends! Hugs, Cathy

JCY
October 13th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Oh what a gorgeous day it is! Sunny & up to 70 deg. Even warmer than yest. But...this is Colorado. It's just the "warm before the storm". A cold front is headed here. It's supposed to start snowing tonight, all night, into tomorrow. If the weather is too bad tomorrow a.m., I'm staying home from church, even though it's my Sun. to play the organ. I'm not going out in 6" of snow! They can just make do without the organ. Time will tell.

The groc. store was busy this a.m. Probably lots of other folks getting their shopping done before the snow storm. Plus, it's always busier on the week end, which is why I generally avoid the stores then. I made a stop at Whole Foods for Kombucha & bought a slice of deli pizza for my lunch.

I was just outside to hang a couple items on the line to dry quicker. The little rabbit is hunkered down in that same spot as it was yest. It's in the sun there, but yet it's sheltered under the plants. A regular little nest.

I'm hoping to get some piecing done this afternoon.

KPH
October 13th, 2018, 05:34 PM
It's been busy here, too. We went to Jax Makes this morning. Trying to find a parking spot was a pain, but we know where the parking garage is now. There were lots of makers, from painters, to custom dress makers hoping to find prom goers, to food items, to quilters! It was really interesting and everyone was so friendly.

I met a former Montessori teacher that's writing her own books about gardening and nature. I purchased one book and will probably get more over time. She does her own art work and has fabric that she's had printed, too. A very artistic woman!

After we left down town, we stopped for lunch at Hardee's. It was the best service we've had in there for ages. Of course, it's been a long time since we've been because of the service. It's nice to see the improvement. I finished up the blocks for the baby quilt then got Mike to take me to Cinnamon's to pick up some finishing fabric for the baby quilt, border fabric for my Christmas quilt, and more fabric to put with the baby quilt stash on the shelf.

It's been a pleasantly busy day and simply beautiful outside.

sewbizzy
October 13th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Julie, Cokie, and Anita, you have me missing the Ohio Amish country...we are not going this year for the first time in many, many years...it is my favorite place to be, next to home....I have never been to the Ashery though...I will try to stop there if we get to go again...

Navy Wife
October 13th, 2018, 11:22 PM
Soup or chili sounds so good. I guess I'll have to wait unless I make it in the crock pot. DH sold my stove yesterday! New one should be installed by the end of the week. I don't have to cook for a few days!