PDA

View Full Version : a new friend

Swedish leo
October 12th, 2018, 03:32 AM
Hi

With a bit of luck I might have a new friend by tomorrow.

I am going to look at a dog that needs a new home. The owner have to sell her dog because she is going to live abroad and can no longer take care of her dog. If everything goes well he will be coming home with me tomorrow.

It is a 6 year old Basenji and I am so happy and excited and a bit nervous.

Is there any out here that have experience with Basenjis ? I have read everything I can on the breed online and as far as I can figure out it will be a good match with me. I have owned a Pumi, Hungarian shepherd dog, and 2 Papillion's and have been around German shepherds and Rottweiler's growing up. So I consider my self an experienced dog owner.

But I will gratefully accept any tips or advice since I do not have any first hand experience with Basenjis.

Annika

Monique
October 12th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Annika I have no clue about dogs and I had to look up this breed. Wishing you all the best with your new companion.

Star lover
October 12th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Annika, I too had to look it up......and when I saw it, I remembered someone had one.....mmmmm......my memory fails me.
Sure hope it all works out for you......nothing like a sweet furry friend!

Hulamoon
October 12th, 2018, 07:47 AM
I watch dog shows on TV and they always got good reviews for being a pet. I do remember they are barkless. I had an English pointer at one point and he wouldn't stop barking. I got so many complaints I had to re-home him.:(

Have fun with your new friend!

Suzette
October 12th, 2018, 09:41 AM
As a vet tech I saw a few Basenji's over the years in our clinic and my neighbor from several years back had one. Basenji's are great dogs! But just because they are barkless doesn't mean they are silent. They do have a yodel sound that they make in place of a bark. But they are not known for being overly vocal. They are independent dogs and usually bond with one or maybe two members of a family. They are also highly intelligent and loyal. One thing to be aware of is Fanconi Syndrome. It is a genetic disorder that some Basenji's have, so knowing the history of the dog would be helpful to rule this out. Otherwise, Basenji's are a very healthy breed in general.

One thing that Basenji owners especially love about this breed is how clean and fastidious they are about grooming themselves (much like cats). And like cats, they can be a bit aloof but still make loving, loyal companions. I'm a huge fan of Basenjis and, if you do end up getting him, I wish you many happy years with your new furry friend. :)

Swedish leo
October 13th, 2018, 02:51 PM
He is home

Here are some pictures.

In the car. My daughter just got hamburger at Max and he is like, Can I have ?
and the seccon pic he realizes that he is not gonna get some..
And then I told him in the sitting in the car picture that we were going to the pet store!
And we did a long walk when we got home in the autumn leaves and all the good smells!
And then we came home and trained on finding his place. He did really well.
And the last picture he is tired after a long and excited day !

I am so happy with this dog and feel that we will be very good friends !

MaggieSue
October 13th, 2018, 03:35 PM
He is adorable, I hope you enjoy many hours with him!!

Carolyn
October 13th, 2018, 05:08 PM
He looks like he feels right at home already. Enjoy

laura44
October 13th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Love your new doggie!

Patty J
October 13th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Did I miss his name? Your dog is so cute and hope he appreciates how loving you are. Even made him a quilt. Enjoy your new friend.

quiltsRfun
October 13th, 2018, 05:40 PM
He’s beautiful.

Swedish leo
October 13th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Did I miss his name? Your dog is so cute and hope he appreciates how loving you are. Even made him a quilt. Enjoy your new friend.

His name is Tilo

Astatoo
October 13th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Congratulations! He is so very adorable.

Caroline T.
October 13th, 2018, 06:14 PM
A great day for both of you. You have a new handsome friend, and he has a new loving mama.

Rhonda K
October 13th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Congrats on the new arrival. He looks so smart & handsome.

Suzette
October 14th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Congrats!!! He is very handsome! I wish you many, many happy years with your new buddy.

Bee happy
October 14th, 2018, 11:47 AM
He has a very intelligent face. Do you have some type of a dog park nearby? We have two Schipperkies and are very attached to them. In fact we are on our first camping trip with them. As long as they are with us they are home. Enjoy your new family member. Gretchen

Ginny B
October 14th, 2018, 11:59 AM
What a cutie! He looks pretty happy in his new home. What is his name?

Nevermind, I see his name is Tilo. :icon_bigsmile:

LLLinda
October 14th, 2018, 04:30 PM
So nice to have gotten yourself a new buddy, and one that needed a new home too. I've always thought basenjis look so clean. Can't imagine why I think that over another breed. Wise to not get the same breed as your darling that passed. I did the same after my last papillon left us.

MissMay
October 14th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Welcome to your new handsome friend Tilo, he seems right at home on his own quilt. Many happy days for both of you.

JulieC
October 14th, 2018, 09:46 PM
He is adorable! Wishing you many happy years together!

dwil23
October 15th, 2018, 03:10 AM
AWWW......he is adorable :-) Thank you for giving him a home, I am sure you will be very happy together - he looks so sweet!

Star lover
October 15th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Such a sweetie! So happy for you.....you're gonna have lots of precious time with him!