PDA

View Full Version : Home prices

laura44
October 11th, 2018, 01:09 PM
So we moved out of the San Francisco Bay Area
3 years ago. Homes prices are over the top and are
still rising. Here is an example of a home sold, in a not so
nice area. About 1/2 hour from San Francisco. Sold AS IS, I'm sure there were multiple
offers on day one, would probably rent for $4,500 a month. Area is always foggy.
Crazy or what?

baslp
October 11th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I would have to pass even if I had that much money to buy it. I am sure that there were bidding wars too.

grammaterry
October 11th, 2018, 01:20 PM
how fortunate those of us in the middle of the country are to have affordable wonderful places to live. I watch those house hunter probrams and am astounded.

Hulamoon
October 11th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Mimi_Howard
October 11th, 2018, 02:55 PM
My son pointed out yesterday to me that very few single family homes are being built (in our area) these days, mostly town homes, condos or more apartments. I wouldn't pay what mine (single family home) is supposedly worth on the market now.

Midge
October 11th, 2018, 03:52 PM
how fortunate those of us in the middle of the country are to have affordable wonderful places to live. I watch those house hunter probrams and am astounded.

I'm thankful too to live in a place where housing is much more affordable and realistic. Only very well to do people can afford San Francisco now. Others are commuting hours to SF jobs. I'm looking for another housing recession because the market is so over heated.

jjkaiser
October 11th, 2018, 05:48 PM
It IS shocking! We used to joke that you needed a "boatload of cash" to buy a house in a nice neighborhood. That's not so much of a joke any more. And I honestly don't see how young couples in their 20's with student loans can even cough up the down payment! My kids that age struggle just to get a car loan, which is way below how much you have to borrow for a mortgage.

JCY
October 11th, 2018, 06:52 PM
The county in which I live, & even the whole Denver Metro area, has real estate prices out of sight. In the city of Boulder, it's hard to find a house for <than a million $. The ave. price of a house in my town is at least $400,000. The empty 3 BR house across the st. is listed for $403,500., & the big house next door (6 BRs) is listed for $605,000. A few blocks from us, some very close housing is being built. When they first started construction, I thought they were going to be apts. No, they are condos. Each unit is for sale. The bldgs. are so close together it's ridiculous. Hardly any yard at all. Very close to the sidewalk. They're also on a busy street close to commercial properties. The developer must be making a killing.

grammaterry
October 11th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Apparently millennials (sp_) don't want yards to upkeep or cars to drive. They want walking distance to bars and restaurants and no kids. The professional couples don't seem to have much concept of worth and can you believe all the ones who want mid century modern (that's 50-70's_) in real speak. ashevilles Real estate prices are thru the roof!!

Heather
October 12th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Ahh, Daly City. Home of the Cow Palace.

kaydee
October 12th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I don't think they're selling that with the intention that a buyer would actually live in the existing home. Typically these homes are torn down and a new home is built. So the prices is pretty much just for the lot. Crazy!

My DD is in her final year of grad school at Cal-Berkeley, and is set to head home in December. She had a lease for an efficiency at a cost of $2,500 per month that ended October 1. She wanted to extend to the end of December, but the new rent would have been $3,500 a month. For an efficiency! It's crazy out there. We know several young people (tech-educated couples) who have left California, even though they were born and raised there, and moved to other states b/c they want to buy nice homes in which to raise children.

(My DD ended up vacating her apt at the end of her lease and renting an air BNB much closer to the University for the additional 10 weeks she needed housing.)

I, for one, will be glad when she graduates and I never have to return to the area. It is so crowded and dirty. Just depressing, imo. It has to be the most over-rated city ever. And as bridges go, I'm much more impressed by the Mackinac bridge, than the Golden Gate bridge.

laura44
October 12th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Yes, Kaydee, I agree, crowded ,dirty, and so much traffic.(my son went to Berkeley too).
The only thing I miss is walking along the beach.

K. McEuen
October 12th, 2018, 07:25 PM
https://www.mlslistings.com/property/ml81725376/787-s-mayfair-ave-daly-city-ca-94015