PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Michael

Carlie Wolf
October 9th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Who do we have that is in harms way of Michael in the Florida Panhandle?

Please take care and be safe. Let us know how you are doing.

KPH
October 9th, 2018, 07:51 PM
My BIL and his family will have pretty much a direct hit. from the looks of the map. Out on my side, they're calling for gusty winds and rain. It's supposed to be fast moving, so I'm not too worried.

K. McEuen
October 9th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Judy may get hit again in NC according to the projected path it is taking.

Monique
October 10th, 2018, 05:36 AM
I hope everyone stays safe.

dwil23
October 10th, 2018, 05:41 AM
It is due west of us now. We are getting some gusty wind and a few showers from the outer bands but not as bad as forecast. But, I am afraid the panhandle will be walloped. At least it seems to be moving fast and won't sit over any one area. Praying for all in the path of this monster.

Judy, USMC
October 10th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Judy may get hit again in NC according to the projected path it is taking.

Hoping the projections here hold true. Winds not over 60 and less than 7 inches of rain is light compared to what we got with Flo.

Hoping the best for the panhandle. Their category increased to a 3 ... and the surge will cause a lot of flooding. Hope it passes quickly and everyone in the path stays safe and checks in with us when they're able.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 10th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I hope everyone is safe.

My girlfriend, her DH, 3 dogs and cat left on Monday for their winter destination of Fort Meyers Beach. They would have reached itheir home by Friday, but I am hoping they are following the weather closely, as we are seeing flooding already along the gulf coast cities.

I have sent her massages, urging them to stay put wherever they are landed until it passes. I'm not certain she will win out, as her DH is a determined old bugger, and always seems to insist leaving in bad weather. Prayers for everyone in harms way.

Hulamoon
October 10th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I'm watching the news now and man it got stronger fast! I hope you all are safe.

Carolnnc
October 10th, 2018, 12:50 PM
We are expected to get high winds with power outages, downed trees & tornadoes, heavy rains and flash flooding tomorrow. Our house goes on the market tomorrow :(

Carlie Wolf
October 10th, 2018, 03:59 PM
My prayers are with you Carol.

JCY
October 10th, 2018, 04:09 PM
I was just surfing the web. Michael hit as a Cat. 4. They're expecting surges of up to 14 ft. I think there will be widespread damage. I hope everyone is safe.

jjkaiser
October 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM
I wish it would aim straight for Mar-a-Lago. On a weekend.

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2018, 08:07 PM

Oh no! That's too close to me. I've had enough of these monsters!!

jjkaiser
October 10th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Oh no! That's too close to me. I've had enough of these monsters!!

Oh dear I hope you stay safe! Believe me, you are not the fantasy target I had in mind.

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Oh dear I hope you stay safe! Believe me, you are not the fantasy target I had in mind.
Ha, I know what you meant. Did you get my drift 'enough of [these] monsters'? :D Oh I'm bad tonight. Haven't been out of this house for a few days because of bad cold and allergies, guess that's good enough excuse.

KPH
October 10th, 2018, 10:11 PM
Talked to BIL, they're fine. Lots and lots of rain, wind and downed trees. They were without power for several hours, but all is back on and more or less back to normal for them.

We didn't have a whole lot of anything other than wind and oppressive humidity. It rained a couple of times, nothing to write home about. Mike and I were out when the tornado alert blared in the car. It was on the other side of town, no damage in that area.

I hope those in the panhandle, GA, SC, NC fare well through this speedy storm.

jjkaiser
October 10th, 2018, 10:14 PM
LindaKay75 you ARE naughty! But I know just what you meant!!

Hulamoon
October 10th, 2018, 10:58 PM

Or a golf course.

jjkaiser
October 10th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Yeah Lori and preferably a certain one in particular

K. McEuen
October 11th, 2018, 12:54 AM
Enough political innuendo.

Carolnnc
October 11th, 2018, 10:28 AM
My prayers are with you Carol.

Thank you! I saw a large fir tree come down across the street about an hour ago and thankfully it didn't hit the house. It's not to bad here yet, just rain and wind. I think Terry is getting worse over in the mountains right now. The state fair was supposed to open today and they delayed the opening until tomorrow. The governor is telling people to stay home and I hope people listen.

LindaKay75
October 11th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I was glued to the tv yesterday and this a.m. watching Michael's news. I was praying there would be no lives lost. GA., SC. and NC. be safe. Thank goodness this is moving rather quickly. Thinking of everyone in the path.

Carlie Wolf
October 11th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Linda, I have the horrible feeling that the lack of reporting on injuries and loss of life have more to do with the inability to get into those areas of Florida yet. I just can't imagine that with the destructive power of that storm, the surge and the reports that many people did not evacuate doesn't have dire consequences. Early on one of the reporters was in a high rise parking garage talking about that area and the surge that would come. He showed a huge mobile home area beneath and I can't imagine with that surge that the people he said that remained rode that storm out. He was saying most of them were poor and the poor didn't have the means to get out.

Judy, USMC
October 11th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Thank you! I saw a large fir tree come down across the street about an hour ago and thankfully it didn't hit the house. It's not to bad here yet, just rain and wind. I think Terry is getting worse over in the mountains right now. The state fair was supposed to open today and they delayed the opening until tomorrow. The governor is telling people to stay home and I hope people listen.

The effects of Michael have been so widespread. It started out so very strong and has already traveled a long way on an inland path.

North Carolina is about 560 miles from the westernmost mountains to the coast. Terry in the mountains is about 400 miles away from where I'm at on the Atlantic coast. And Carol is in between us. And all of us are/will be feeling the effects in one way or another. Wind and Tornado warnings; Rain and Flood warnings. This continues to be an amazing weather event.

Prayers for those who didn't evacuate. I, too, fear the number of fatalities will rise.

Midge
October 11th, 2018, 03:48 PM
I just watched drone footage of the aftermath in Mexico Beach FL and it was a jaw-dropping level of shocking imo. I found it on the front page of the NBC News website. I pray that those poor folks heeded the warnings and evacuated. I don't see how they could have lived through what hit Mexico Beach. Here's the link if you want to see this. Astonishing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/drone-footage-shows-decimated-michael-ravaged-mexico-beach-florida-n919061

Navy Wife
October 11th, 2018, 04:10 PM
My hometown is Thomasville in south Georgia. It took a pretty direct hit. It's a beautiful old town with many trees and stately homes. My BFF is there, and I can't reach her yet. After seeing the pictures of the coast, I'm dreading seeing what happened to them.
Thomasville is 35 miles north of Tallahassee and 40 miles east of Bainbridge. Maybe I'll hear soon.

JCY
October 11th, 2018, 07:23 PM
The web news reports there are 280 people missing. "People do not live to tell about storm surge." The surge was reported to be up to 14 ft. After searches are made, I think the death toll will rise.

Judy, USMC
October 11th, 2018, 07:55 PM
This is a double whamie for coastal North Carolina. Florence damaged a lot of homes with flooding and roof damage. Homes were stripped of their damaged insulation, drywall, siding and furniture. That plus the tree remnants were placed on the side of the road.

Well, pickup hasn't happened and the winds from Michael have picked up here. There are unknown objects hitting the house with a thump. And it's surreal looking out the window and seeing couch cushions, blue tarps, insulation and vinyl siding wafting down the street. Luckily only a few more hours of it in my area and then the cleanup will begin again. Prayers for everyone's safety continue.

jjkaiser
October 11th, 2018, 08:36 PM
My cousin is in NC and she said they have gotten 11 inches of rain in the last 30 hours. I can't even imagine that. A storm here last month dropped just 3 inches in 24 hours. There was flooding all over, and we thought that was extreme. These storms are just wild and crazy.

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Seeing the video is so sad. It looks similar to Cameron Parish when Hurricane Rita came through this area.

Navy Wife
October 12th, 2018, 08:20 PM
I finally heard from my friend in GA, and she is fine. They have no power, and it will be several days before they get things going again. Many trees are down and some damage, but not to her house. I'm so thankful . Barbara and I are both 81, and we are not able to handle things the way we used to. Once upon a time...she would already be knocking on my door, but I'll head south in a few weeks when things are better down there. Hope all your friends and our members are as fortunate as my BFF.