PDA

View Full Version : It is a wet Tuesday

Monique
October 9th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Good morning friends. I heard thunder in the wee hours this morning. According to the almanac, snow is supposed to follow six weeks after a thunderstorm. I have it written on the calendar so I can record it, if it is true. We are to get a rather warm day today with temps in the 30C with humidity. WOW, I froze yesterday and turned on the heat.

I did a little in the sewing room yesterday. Started a bag, then lost the pattern but it was eventually found. I managed to get the binding on the baby quilt. Today is Guild. We are doing an ugly fat quarter swap, I have mine ready plus a strip exchange and a 6" block exchange.

I am hoping to get to the city tomorrow to buy a bushel of tomatoes as I want to make salsa. Hubby is headed to the camp today with a couple of lads so I am free to do what I want.

So have a great day my friends.

Star lover
October 9th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Good mornin Monique and all who'll join us......

Oh my....s**w.....a word I dislike....immensely! Don't care to see any of that stuff....ever! Well, in pics is just fine with me.

We finally had a day without rain. It was so dark all day that I kept thinking it had to be raining, but it didn't. Happy. Even happier, I think we're to have the same thing today! Yippee! The temps are all over the place. 80 yesterday, 84 today. We've had highs in the 60's ......I think next week, highs are back down into the 60's.

Made a couple test blocks for another quilt, yesterday. Same prints, but different backgrounds.....was no help....I liked both backgrounds! Rats, gonna have to figure it out and proceed. Got itchy figures to sew, now that I can! Just might throw them into a bag, reach in, and what I get, is what I'm a goin with.....

Hope everyone has a wonderful fall day! Smiles, hugs to all! :icon_bigsmile:

JCY
October 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Still dark, of course, but I looked outside with the porch light on. Everything is still very wet, so it must still be raining. It rained off & on most of yest. The guys came 2 hrs. early to blow out our sprinkler system, which actually worked out better. There is a freeze warning for tonight. It's 40 this a.m., our coldest yet. All the winterizing type jobs now are done. When we get a warmer day, I still need to take apart & clean all the fans. Those can be done any time.

Yest. I did laundry, cooked up a kettle of Anasazi beans, & worked on my Bible study lesson. I actually made it to the sewing room! Yay! I sewed together the binding strips for the current baby quilt, mach. basted the edge of the quilt, did some warm-up FMQ & made a start on the quilt. I'm doing Angela's hook swirl. It's easy & fills the space fast when one makes the swirls larger.

Today I need to finish my Bible study lesson for tomorrow. I hope to get more FMQ done as well.

Monique, we've had our furnace turned on for the past couple weeks. It sure feels good these cold days. DH keeps the house ~75 deg.; with him being so under weight, he feels the cold.

Bubby
October 9th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Good Morning Everyone...It's going to be a drizzly day but I still have to run a couple of errands. I have a mountain of laundry to deal with, too. The little Girls are napping and Dottie is keeping me company. Dottie really fell in love with Cathy...as I knew she would. The pups are too busy to get involved....lol! We took pictures (a few) when Cathy and Barry were here. The ones sent to my computer never came through at all, so I will leave it to Cathy to post them after she gets home from her visit with her Sister.

Monique, I had to smile when you said you started a bag and then lost the pattern. I do the same thing. How does this happen?!!!

Jeff is back to work after four days off. He's so ready to retire.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day with hugs....

baslp
October 9th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Good morning. Another grey day here too. Hope the sun peaks out this afternoon. I don’t have to tutor this morning, so I have some extra time to do my errands. I have to take one of the dogs to the vet to see the vet tech. I finally foisted my Gelato quilt. I have to
Press it , trim the sides, and take it to the gal who longarms it for me. I am going to send it to my sister when it comes back. I am ready to start a new quilt!

Have a good day .
Beth

BethB
October 9th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I read all your posts everyday, but usually don't post a lot but with all the weather talk, I thought I would chime in. A couple of months ago, I replaced the old grass/weed covered brick patio out back with concrete. The temps here in south central PA have been more like summer instead of October --- 80's and humid. I can't sit out on the new patio because every time I do I get bitten by bugs. Friday temps are "supposed" to be cooler with highs only in the 60's. We will see how accurate the weather man is.

I am supposed to be meeting some of my fellow retired teachers for lunch today. We always have a lot of fun. Back in June, we were out for lunch and a young couple sat down next to us and they turned out to be former students. They ate and left and when we asked for our checks, the waitress said the couple had paid our bills for us. We all were so surprised. We didn't even get to thank them.

Time to start getting ready. I still need to let the dog out for his second round. Next week he goes to the groomer -- can't wait for that. They want me to bring him in every 6 weeks. I think that is too soon and too expensive to go that often.

Hopefully, I will be able to get some sewing down when I get back from lunch. Have a great day everyone.

Nancy

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 9th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Good morning ladies,
Oh Monique, I hope that we don't get snow in 6 weeks. I wouldn't mind if it waited until Boxing Day. The thunder was really loud last evening. Both cats were on edge, one hid under the bed until it was over. I am happy with this weather, even if it's all over the map. Love cooler days, but they say it will get to 80s and feel like 90s with humidity this week.

Yesterday I cut back the tall grasses and perennials in the bed on the outside of our fence, corner lot. I also spread a few more bags of black mulch. Step-son came for lunch-dinner. He was working on Saturday and couldn't make the family dinner. He brought home Turkey & ham and the pumpkin pie. I had an extra one, and he really loves it.

Tonight is Guild meeting. I will pay for the in-town retreat Oct 19-21. Since I haven't been before, I am not certain what meals I should offer to prepare. I will have to make my witches' fingers early next week, as requested for GD's Bday. I will leave the retreat early on Sunday to attend (arriving late) at the party.

DH has declared its time to change out the quilt on our bed. He is getting cold with the summer one. On it goes, the fall coloured quilt he made, and quilted with a wool batting.

Have a good day everyone.

KPH
October 9th, 2018, 12:55 PM
I did manage to make it back before morning ended! I was here for a little while this morning but didn't have time to post. The two youngers came for the morning. Jim thought they would be here for lunch, but Nana called before I got started fixing anything. lol, kind of glad I gave them that seconds tiny snack this morning!

It's been raining in bands, which is what the weather people said to expect today. The panhandle is supposed to bear the brunt of Michael, and that's where my BIL and his family all lives. From the looks of the path they're calling for now, it's going to be a direct hit for them. From what I'm hearing, we'll have rain, some wind, and possible tornadoes. You know, I was alright until they added that last one! Water containers are all in the freezer around the food so I'm as prepared as I'm going to get.

The plan for the rest of the day is to get my sewing room straightened up. The piles are driving me batty, and it's time to do something about them. I started working on Halloween bags for the kids. I just have to figure out the handles at this point.

Tomorrow is home school with Jonathan. I'll need to get things together for that. He actually came up and wanted to do work while I was putting the last touches on dinner last night. What a change! Thank goodness!

Prayers for those in need. Prayers for those in Michael's path. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

KarenC
October 9th, 2018, 06:17 PM
It's now late afternoon, but thought I stop inn and say hello since tomorrow will be even busier. Today was quilt group at church. I took back some of the fabric I had washed, but only stayed a few hours. Tomorrow I leave with the grandbaby on a road trip. We are driving to Louisiana for my family's annual camping trip. Tomorrow night stay at my sister's, Thursday night with Mom, and Friday and Saturday we have a cabin at the campground. It will be interesting to see how long it takes me, since driving with a one year old will mean more stops I am sure. This afternoon, I made the filling for a shrimp pie. We will have some for dinner tonight and the remainder I will freeze and take with me to make tarts to share with the rest.

Also just finished kitting up all the blocks for a charity quilt, as I was tired of working on my Christmas/winter quilt top. This will definitely make it faster when I get ready to sew. For now, I think it is time to vacuum the sewing room and straighten it out a bit. Prayers for everyone in the path of Michael, all that are dealing with illnesses, and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our blessings.