PDA

View Full Version : Picture framing at Joann

chelea
October 6th, 2018, 11:31 AM
I have some beautiful fabric panels that I would like to have framed. I've had regular prints done at Michael's and while I've been very happy with the result, they're kind of expensive, even with a coupon. Do you have any experience having things framed at Joann?

Hulamoon
October 6th, 2018, 12:04 PM
I don't have a Joann's here. Do you have a Pictures plus near you? They have a good selection and the clerk was really helpful.

KPH
October 6th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Not sure, but here's some ideas of what I've done with fabric panels....

A couple I picked up stretcher bars from Hobby Lobby I spray basted the fabric to batting and pulled the fabric over to the back and stapled it to the framing.
155428 155429

This one I quilted and hung in my sewing room (with thumb tacks no less)

This one I picked up a 'cheap off the floor' frame from Michael's.

There are other places than Michael's. They are expensive! Check your yellow pages and see what you can find and then check their reviews on line.

Cokie
October 6th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I've had a couple of needlework pictures done at Joann's and was happy with the results. They can get expensive too, depending on the frame you choose and any matting that you want.

SallyO'Sews
October 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I had something done for a gift at my local JoAnn, and they did a beautiful job. The 60% off coupon helped. My best guess is that the quality depends on the local person who does the job - and that can vary greatly within stores, let alone from one store location to another. Hope you're able to have it done to your satisfaction.

tsladaritz
October 7th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Framing is expensive. But if you want a quality frame that will last, a good job done cutting the mat to the exact size and color needed then it is part of the cost. I have paid a few times. But mostly I am cheap. I search around for the mat that will work or the frame I can make work. If I need to, I buy pieces seperately at different times or locations. I have bought falling apart ugly frames at resell for the really good non glare glass. ;-) I have also bought great frames that had no glass.

But I do not have the tools for cutting a mat properly, the gun for inserting staples into a wood frame for holding a canvas, or the stretching gear to making a good canvas. So after a few years I can see the difference between my homemade framing job and my custom paid job. They can get it tighter and better, then seal it up on the back to help preserve it. So theirs holds up better.

Take that in to consideration on whether to do it yourself, go some place you never tried, or paying michael's/another frame shop. Small town we used to live in had a frame shop where that is all they did. $$ but beautiful work.