PDA

View Full Version : Thursday hellos

Monique
October 4th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Good morning from a very wet little village this morning. I am not sure what time it started to rain but it did. We are expecting rain most of the day today and a very warm day.

I am making great progress on the baby quilt. I have attached a picture of the first quilt, but this is the second one I am working on.

So that is what I am working on. It has been very very quiet at the post office. I am done here on Friday but work Saturday at another post office. Then Sunday we are having Thanksgiving dinner with Greg and Ashley. I am looking forward to that. I also will have all my family in one place, all except Maizyn.

Have a great day friends.

baslp
October 4th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Good morning.
Monique— I really like the baby quilt you made. What a great gift.

It is foggy here but expected to burn off. We should reach 82 today. The mobile groomer comes later this morn. She is here for 2.5 hrs. I should get some sewing done while she is here.

The Comcast tech was here for about 2.5 hrs yesterday. He checked everything but
could not identify a reason why we lose internet connection some days for a few hrs.
Have a good day.
Beth

Bubby
October 4th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's raining this morning and from the look of things it must have rained most of the night. Maggs and Sugar are little mud puppies after going potty.

One more sleep and Cathy will be here! I saw pictures of her at M* and she looks so happy! Can't wait to actually meet her. Jeff has to work a double shift today but he will be off tomorrow and the weekend. I plan to make an eclair cake and maybe a pot of soup today. Tomorrow I will bake the easy angel food pineapple (2 ingredients) cake for something light. We won't starve for sure.

Onward and onward with my day....have a good Thursday everyone.

Monique
October 4th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's raining this morning and from the look of things it must have rained most of the night. Maggs and Sugar are little mud puppies after going potty.

One more sleep and Cathy will be here! I saw pictures of her at M* and she looks so happy! Can't wait to actually meet her. Jeff has to work a double shift today but he will be off tomorrow and the weekend. I plan to make an eclair cake and maybe a pot of soup today. Tomorrow I will bake the easy angel food pineapple (2 ingredients) cake for something light. We won't starve for sure.

Onward and onward with my day....have a good Thursday everyone.

Enjoy your time with Cathy and don't forget to take pictures too.

JCY
October 4th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ After the high of 92 deg. yest., it's cooled off to 52 this a.m. It's supposed to be only in the 60's today. The 30's are forecast by the week end, so I covered up the anti-siphon valve of the sprinkler system with a rug & put a plastic bag over that. The system gets blown out on Mon.

I plan to bake DH's spelt bread today. I always love the smell of baking bread.

When I went out to hand water yest. eve. I trimmed back the black-eyed susans & pulled a few weeds. So much yard work yet to do, but I probably won't get to most of it.

grammaterry
October 4th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Yesterday I got the refund for the sewing machine I returned last week. I must say this seller was very fair and communicated well. Returned the postage and paid to have it shipped back so I was only out my frustration Yeah.
Made an angel food cake yesterday and learned a new trick. I read recipes on line and only one said, "put it in a cold oven" and turn on the heat. So I did. The best texture I have ever had. Magnificent and it raised and browned perfectly.
Neighbor brought me some potatoes from their garden yesterday. What a treat! a big bucket full...probably 25 lbs.
Weather is perfect. Blue skys...low humidity...warm (mid 70's) and they say at least 6 more days of this.. how great is that.
Going to mil's and we are going shopping for some capri pants for my trip in November. I'm hoping for navy blue linen but perhaps a pipe dream.
Worked on cutting out pieces for a double wedding ring as a gift. There are two pieces that are identical but reversed and I was cutting out one side of them and realized that I had folded the fabric to cut it more efficiently (yeah, right?) and had inadvertently reversed some of them. So now I have to separate and count. I had planned on two different colors but now...probably have to rethink that.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 4th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Good morning on this wet and cool day.

I got up after hearing the downpour for a few hours. It will be raining off/on most of the day. We have a celebration of life to attend this evening at he sailing club. It's for one of the Race Officials, 61. Very sad. Very sudden, no explanation provided by his wife. No children.

I have taken out the turkey and ham to unthaw, and will cook them tomorrow. We are celebrating our Thanksgiving on Saturday with family. Friday will be my cooking and prep day, and last minute food items on Saturday. Still waiting to see whether it will be a wet and cold weekend, or warm and dry. We are on the cusp of two weather systems. Sort of feels like spin-the-bottle.

Have a good day everyone.

Yesterday i stuck to my mission. I sewed and quilted all day. I finished the top for VQC (pink border). I quilted the guild challenge quilt for children's hospital (toddler size). Pictured are the personalized pillowcases I made for GD for her birthday in Nov. I am also working on 2 throw cushion covers for sofa. It's Fall Four Seasons by Julie Patchesis (sp?) by In the Beginning. I will finish them today. Also prioritized the new finishes that are almost done.

155368. VictorIa Quilt top, done on about 3hours.

155369 155370
Guild challenge. We were provided with baby quilt panel and asked to make it, same size or larger. I made bigger, measures 42 x 56.

155371 for GD.

Monique, your quilt is beautiful and the mom looks pleased.
Barb & Cathy - have fun.
Navy wife - I hope the remainder of your kitchen renovations go smoothly and swiftly.
Terry - that is a generous neighbour. I find that gardeners like quilters share their love through their hobbies.

KarenC
October 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Good morning everyone. Yesterday I sewed a few flying geese for the holid a y quilt in between loads of laundry. I have made it through the 2 bags of fabric and half of the box. Although I'm washing it all, it still smells like old mothballs. Trying to also separate the good pieces from those that are still stained and/or have flaws through the fabric. Oh well, I think it was all gifted to the group, so no harm done.
Today I decided to take time off and come watch DGD. I miss being with her, so am enjoying every minute today

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 4th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Good morning everyone. Yesterday I sewed a few flying geese for the holid a y quilt in between loads of laundry. I have made it through the 2 bags of fabric and half of the box. Although I'm washing it all, it still smells like old mothballs. Trying to also separate the good pieces from those that are still stained and/or have flaws through the fabric. Oh well, I think it was all gifted to the group, so no harm done.
Today I decided to take time off and come watch DGD. I miss being with her, so am enjoying every minute today

I don't envy you. We were given boxes of fabric for Victoria Quilts. Sorting through and keeping good 100% cotton only. The rest we will bag and sell at a spring fabric sale. It's very cheap fabrics, some we toss, not even good enough for doll clothes. And yes, we had no mothball smell, but smells like the Lavendar powder my old aunts used to put on themselves.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 4th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Back again. Sheets on the bed are changed and one load of laundry done. I also made my cranberry-orange sauce for Saturday. And a pot of Pho broth soup (mushrooms, cabbage, carrot, brocoli, onion, chicken dumplings). Fast and easy for today's lunch later.

Now to drop off mom's laundry and items for their fall garage sale.

Weather is freaky. Really dark clouds, then the sun comes out. It's warm. DH is doing yardwork with no jacket.

KPH
October 4th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Finally making it here. It's been weird, I had no idea who was coming this morning, or if I was just seeing one in the afternoon, until 6:30 this morning. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't roll back over to go back to sleep this morning.

J and I covered a lot of material today, mainly language and science stuff. He worked hard!

I called Snyder Man (heating and cooling) yesterday. The tech that came out said he'd never seen readings like he was getting on my unit. It was working too good. So they called in the big guns to come today to find out what was really going on. Come to find out, my unit was working too well. It was pushing too much cool air in, thus getting the room too cool too fast so it would cut the unit off before it actually had time to get the humidity out of the house. So he tweaked the settings today, I need a couple of parts that he's on the way to pick up, and he'll be done with all of it this afternoon. Less than a K to get everything taken care of, and all of that work will be under warranty. He says everything looks and is running great and should last a long time. So, it's worth it in the long run to get it taken care of before something goes wrong.

Michael's called last night, my picture is finished so guess who's going to pick it up when the Snyder Man is done! I can't wait to see it and get it hung! Pictures to come.

I didn't do anything in the sewing room yesterday. Maybe tonight, who knows!

Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
October 4th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Back again ~ The 2 loaves of bread are out of the oven & cooling on the rack. After a cloudy a.m., the sun has come out. It's warmed up to 70 deg., but it feels cool outside. I discovered yest. that my clematis on the front porch has some late blooms -- in Oct.! I've never seen it have any blooms this late in the year. The general blooming is in June.

I'm hoping to do some sewing today. I've been sort of dragging energy-wise lately, but then I've had so many projects to complete before the cold weather. I've also been concerned about my neck problem.

Terry ~ So happy you got a complete refund on your used sewing machine. And what a nice neighbor to share potatoes from her garden. I so seldom eat white potatoes any more due to their high glycemic index & the spike in blood sugar they cause. I occas. eat yams, but just a small portion. They raise the blood sugar, too.

Suzanne ~ Your food looks so yummy. You've had a good time cooking on a cloudy day.

Well, it's time for some lunch, then I plan to sew!

KarenC
October 4th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Suzanne, those soups look yummy. I tried a new recipe for chicken tortilla soup on Tuesday. It was rated 4.5 out of 5 stars online, I rated it a 2.0 before doctoring it up. Found my old recipe for chicken enchilada soup yesterday, and made it. It was yummy. Now if we just had some cooler temps. It was 93 today.

Terry, glad to hear about your full refunds. I guess you can't complain about that.

Katrina, you're a rock star being able to get so much done.

Joy, another rock star. I'm amazed at your organization of so many tasks.

Off to the sewing room. Chat with you folks tomorrow.