PDA

View Full Version : She's baaaack! ..... maybe?

Sylvia H
October 3rd, 2018, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone. I know I haven't been a regular poster for quite some time, except for the 'Finished is Better than Perfect' group. For reasons still unknown, I didn't do very much quilting in 2017, and 2018 has been a healthcare disaster for me. I have tried to regroup regarding quilting a few times. I hope this time will really take!

I won't take you through you all the gory details, but since the end of January, I have suffered from a multitude of ailments, ending in anemia requiring an emergency visit to the hospital last Tuesday. One thing we also know is my immune system seems out of whack. Add to that, various treatments for back problems, and you have a picture of one lady's crazy body!

I did contract Shingles in February, and that significantly affected my ability to function, first from the pain, and then from the fact that my arm seemed paralyzed for a period of time. If you are of that age, and have not received a Shingles immunization, please, do so immediately. The pain is just aweful, and it lasts for a really, really, really long time. (I still have pain 8 months later.) Some movement in the arm has returned, and we learned that I have some torn rotator cuff tendons that are also causing problems in that arm.

So, with all of that, I am hoping to get back to the joy of quilting, sooner rather than later.

Monique
October 3rd, 2018, 06:49 PM
Welcome back, sorry you have had health issues. I hope you are on the mend.

MaggieSue
October 3rd, 2018, 07:03 PM
Welcome back, I hope there are many beautiful quits in your future!!!

Cokie
October 3rd, 2018, 07:04 PM
Welcome back, Sylvia! I hope you will soon be feeling much better.

Vonnie
October 3rd, 2018, 07:08 PM
Yikes! Shingles! Here's to good health to everyone!

Welcome back Sylvia!

KPH
October 3rd, 2018, 07:23 PM
Welcome back Sylvia, here's hoping you're on the mends!

Carlie Wolf
October 3rd, 2018, 07:29 PM
Good to see you again Sylvia. I was just thinking about you again last week wondering where you were.Good luck with your health issues and I'm glad to see you are on the mend :-)

Sharyn J
October 3rd, 2018, 07:35 PM
Welcome back Sylvia! We missed you. Sorry about your health issues. You sure have had a rough time. I hope you're on the mend and get some relief and healing. If you're not up to making a quilt, try some small projects. I just went through a period where I couldn't sew much so I made myself busy with microwave cozy bowls and little zip pouches for dog doo bags. And if you don't feel like sewing, come back often to chat with us!

Bubby
October 3rd, 2018, 07:48 PM
Oh, my!! You have really been through so much!! I haven't had Shingles but I know they are extremely painful. The torn rotator cuff is very real to me. I had severely torn tendons and had surgery in 2011. I found M* while I was recuperating from that surgery. Hopefully you are on the road to recovery and will be in full swing before long....Welcome Back....You were missed!

Caroline T.
October 3rd, 2018, 07:49 PM
Welcome back Sylvia, you have been missed and thought of often.

Shingles (3 times), torn rotator cuff, and anemia .... I've had all three of those also, and can certainly sympathize with your sufferings (although I was fortunate enough that each of those for me were years apart, can't imagine having them close together as you have).

I pray that you are on the mend and will be feeling much better very soon.

Sylvia H
October 3rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
Caroline, I can't image having Shingles 3 times! The dermatologist said mine was the worst case she had ever seen! I will be getting a Shingles shot next February. The doctor told me I had to wait a year before I could get the vacine. I hope to never have to deal with it again.

cv quilter
October 3rd, 2018, 08:45 PM
Sylvia, so very good for me to see your post. I have been wondering where you are and what you have been up to. I hate knowing you have had health issues, especially shingles. I swear, the sickest and most painful time I have ever had was with shingles. Last time was in 2004 and I still have health problems and pain because of it. I have had it 4 times (yes! 4 times) and the last time was "the pits"! I pray for an improvement in your health and a return for you to the things you love to do.

cv quilter
October 3rd, 2018, 08:50 PM
Welcome back Sylvia, you have been missed and thought of often.

Shingles (3 times), torn rotator cuff, and anemia .... I've had all three of those also, and can certainly sympathize with your sufferings (although I was fortunate enough that each of those for me were years apart, can't imagine having them close together as you have).

I pray that you are on the mend and will be feeling much better very soon. Caroline, bless you. I do hope and pray that you able to become strong and healthy again. I just responded to Sylvia and know the pain and agony involved in shingles..so very sorry for the issues you have had because of shingles. I know that as we get a "little" older, our bodies become more susceptible to these pesky and painful ailments/illnesses. BLESS YOU and hope that you are soon feeling better.

auntiemern
October 3rd, 2018, 08:52 PM
So glad to have you back with us. Have to agree with you on the shingles pain. It is the absolute worse. I still have pain after 22 months. You will be back at it in do time.

Caroline T.
October 3rd, 2018, 11:03 PM
Shirley & CV,
I was fortunate, my first go round of Shingles wasn't extremely severe and Dr said I was the youngest shingles patient he ever saw, I was only 13 that time. The 2nd episode was even milder and I was in my very early 20s, followed by the third in my late 20s, and that one was even milder than the 2nd time.

Anemia in my early 40's, but a hysterectomy took care of that.

And the torn rotator along with Frozen Shoulder Syndrome was in my early 50s.

I'm a pretty tough bird, always have been, but I gotta say, that FSS was the worst and took me over a year before I gained full mobility of my left arm.

And i'm happy to say, with the exception of some middle age aches and pains, overall, i'm in good health. But I do thank you for your well wishes.

pcbatiks
October 3rd, 2018, 11:09 PM
Yay! Sylvia is back! I sure hope you will be on the mend soon and get back to quilting as much as you want. You have had more than your share of health problems. We've missed you.

KarenC
October 3rd, 2018, 11:14 PM
Glad to see you back and hoping your health issues are now in the past. I have never experienced shingles, but heard that they are painful. Had surgery on both shoulders for torn rotator cuffs. Those were not fun. I think that was worst than the back surgery. Anyway, glad to have you back and hopefully feeling better every day.

Judy, USMC
October 4th, 2018, 01:21 AM
So glad to see you back and on a better road to recovery. I looked at sewing as my physical therapy when I had my rotator cuff problem. Using that shoulder to feed the fabric through the machine really seemed to help.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 4th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Welcome back. I have enjoyed your posts in the Finished group. I with you strength, good health and lots more quilting.

My dad got shingles when I was a teenager, and many of my friends and daughter also. My DH and I have had the shingles vaccine.

SallyO'Sews
October 6th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks for checking in, Sylvia - it's great to see your smiling face! Praying for fast recovery in every area, and that you're able to get back into the swing of things quickly!