PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, oh Wednesday

Monique
October 3rd, 2018, 07:40 AM

Good morning. I did not sleep well last night at all. Might have been the coffee I had. Oh well I could have a nap at work today during my lunch hour.

The baby quilt is coming along. I expect to have it hand quilted by the end of the week if all goes well.

SO, hubby forgot to come get me last night, uh huh, yup!! So I hitchhiked and it wasn't long before I got a ride luckily from one of our neighbour's so I got a ride right to the door. Needless to say hubby is in the dog house today.

I bought Maizyn a Mermaid Tear necklace while I was in PEI. She absolutely loves it. I get a call from Phil last night that she has left it in the store they went to and now it is gone. She is so devastated. He wants to know where I got it from. Well I suppose I could make a replacement, it didn't seem to be too much to make. As we were talking, lo and behold he lets a few choice words, he has found it. It got stuck in her dress. Disaster averted. LOL!!

Have a great day friends.

Bubby
October 3rd, 2018, 07:49 AM
Good Morning Everyone...Monique, so glad the mermaid tear necklace was found. Maizyn must be thrilled.

I have some housework to do this morning and the pups have been extra rowdy the past few days. Dottie is having a slump in her health right now and can't seem to get back on her feet. Yesterday was a rough day for her. I held her most of the day and let her sleep. Sugar gets upset when Dottie's sick. At one point Dottie went over to Sugar and let her kiss her face. They have a different type of relationship.

Our weather is warm this week but we will be wearing sweatshirts before long.

I love the DD today.

Wishing everyone a great day.

MRoy
October 3rd, 2018, 08:06 AM
Aunty Acid could be me any morning! Most days DH gets up, turns on bright lights, and wants to talk. I'm like "Turn the lights down and be quiet" until after I've had my coffee. Fall allergies are kicking in too, causing much sneezing and nose blowing in the early morning. LOL! I'm quilting a donation quilt with variegated thread. It's the second time I've used variegated and I've learned I don't like the look of it. It's also cotton thread and very linty. Lesson learned! We're still having summer-like weather here in KY...the mornings are cool but the temp hits the mid 80s later in the day. I have a fall wreath on the front door; but summer flowers are still blooming on the porch.

baslp
October 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
Good morning . We had a thunderstorm roll through around midnight. I should not have to water the sod in our backyard today. It is suppose to get up to 85 today.

Our pug is having a difficult time with her cough/ hacking even with her allergy med and inhaler.
I get to stay home and wait for the Comcast technician. I hope he can figure out our connection issue. We have a dinner to attend in the city tonight. No cooking!

Have a good day.
Beth

JulieC
October 3rd, 2018, 08:56 AM
Good Morning,

Another day off work today -- I'm getting a cavity filled at the dentist at 10 am. I will work from home this afternoon. My dentist does the drilling, then his EFDA (Expanded Function Dental Assistant) does the actual filling. I'm hoping she's not the same one who worked on me three years ago. I had never been traumatized by a trip to the dentist until she worked on me. I should have asked for valium.

I think I just figured out how to undo the programming on the timer for the kitchen light. I was updating the timer a couple of days ago, and somehow programmed it to turn on at sunrise with no end time. :icon_beuj: The internet can be such a blessing -- I found instructions online and it should be back to normal now.

Sad news yesterday, my Mom's sister Edie is wheelchair bound. She had a hip replacement a couple of months ago, at the age of 87, and developed complications. She has very limited mobility with a walker; my guess is she will need to go into assisted living or a nursing home, unless she wants to pay for home care. We are not close, but prayers for her healing would be appreciated.

Have a great day, Everyone!

JCY
October 3rd, 2018, 09:11 AM
Good Morning ~ A mild morning today: 70 deg. We had cloud cover last night, so it didn't cool off. We had a very nice 84 yest. It was sunny most of the day.

I was so thankful my massage therapist had an opening yest. at 4:30. She ironed out the kinks. I'll be sore for a couple days from the massage, but things definitely feel looser.

Today's DD definitely is a good deal. I just don't have time right now to order it! Maybe after DH has his breakfast it still will be there. At that price, it will go fast.

Bible study this a.m. I play the piano this week. I need to make a stop at Whole Foods on the way home for turkey bacon. No more time now.

grammaterry
October 3rd, 2018, 09:47 AM
I was thinking of the DD today as well. I just don't need any fabric right now.
Went to MIL's yesterday to help her weed her flowers. Dug up 6 boxes of calalillys and took one for my own garden. She has friends she want to give them to. Then we weeded and ended up with a big yard bag full. She sat and visited with me. Each week that I see her she seems more fragile
I sent my own mother a birthday package and it arrived Monday. I called to talk to her and asked if she got it. She said no. Then a few minutes later she told me there was a box on her bed. She went to the box and said, yes it was from me but its empty. I told her she had already opened it. This went on for a while and then she found the robe but not the night gown. It is so sad but at 92 at least she knows who I am when I call.

MissMay
October 3rd, 2018, 10:59 AM
Cathy, Had to laugh at your post, even dentists are outsourcing their work nowadays.

Busy day today, cleaners will be here around noon, DH and I have PT at 3 and sons will be here around 6 to move furniture around as new couch and chair will be here tomorrow. Our house has been sort of a jumble since DH & I were both in the hospital last year so it will be great to finally have it put back together. But first, another cup of coffee to get me started for the day.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 3rd, 2018, 11:04 AM
Good morning ladies,

I slept in to 9 am, as I was awake an hour last night. DH must have had a difficult night as well. He's still sleeping. This was going to be our Rest-up day. I plan to only sew today and bring back my mom's laundry later.

I received my M* package on Monday. I ordered in mid-Sept when the DD was the bendable light. Yeah. Yesterday, my GF Dorothy & I met wih Blanche, who helped us figure out the Janome 1600p on Grace frame. It is an awkward set up and machine kept breaking needles, but we finally got it tuned. TNT rule. Changed Thread to polyester. Changed needle. Tension was the issue. It was set at max 8. We couldn't see the number due to awkward set up. We should be good to go and finish up the charity quilts. We have set dates to work on it together. I think once Dorothy gets confident with it, she will love it. We plan to sell donations of non-quilting fabric scraps at the fabric sale in April. This will pay for thread and needles.

I have a few projects to work on today. I am hoping to finish the guild challenge quilt and quilt two fall pillow panels before Saturday. We are celebrating our Thanksgiving a few days early with all the kids & GKs. I also got my confirmation for an in-town retreat Oct 19-21. While I can sew when I want, I think I need the commitment to just sew, otherwise I get distracted by house or yard work.

Have a good day everyone. Stay warm, as it is cooling off a bit here (still refuse to wear socks). Stay safe.

Simply Quilting
October 3rd, 2018, 11:32 AM
Good Morning! This morning dd has cursive handwriting class so I will take my handbinding project to work on. I have three tablerunners that are all at the same point of needing the binding put on. It makes good work to take with me when I need to go somewhere.

I did get some more of the fabric fussy cut for the charity quilt. For some reason, the lettering is not printed straight on the fabric so we have had to adjust everything when cutting.

Have a great day everyone :)

Claire Hallman
October 3rd, 2018, 11:49 AM
Morning all, hope your days go well.
I used my new juki yesterday really for the first time for more than a couple of minutes. It is a learning curve for sure. I kept shredding thread, didn't have a replacement spool in a good color so I tried reducing the upper tension, did that twice with good results. I managed to quilt a baby quilt in about two hours without struggling, fantastic. I am a little surprised it doesn't go faster than it does, will definitely take getting used to.

Navy Wife
October 3rd, 2018, 12:05 PM
It's a beautiful sunny day in east Tennessee, but will be hot later. I wish fall would really come!

I'll be spending the day cleaning out the rest of the cabinets in the kitchen. Tomorrow they will pull out the old ones. Then DH and DS#1 will pull out the backsplash and move some electric outlets. I'll be doing very little cooking for the next few weeks. The new cabinets will go in next week, but it takes 2 or 3 weeks for the countertops to be cut. I will be glad to see the end of this remodel! But I will get more sewing time since I don't have to do much cooking. Hopefully, by the 1st of November, I'll be all back together. The kids all want to have Thanksgiving here, so I guess I will have to be done! The worst part is having no water in the kitchen till the counters go in.

Meanwhile, our sweet little indoor cat has made friends with a skunk! She loves to stay on the screened porch, and I when I went out to call her in, I smelled the familiar odor. Then spotted the critter next to the steps. I grabbed Ellie and went inside and closed up. At least he didn't spray her! I'm keeping her inside for a few nights till he goes away. We are on the edge of the subdivision with farmland across the street, and we get some strange critters around from time to time! The farmer has been cutting hay, so he probably disturbed the skunk home.

KarenC
October 3rd, 2018, 12:17 PM
Good morning everyone. Today should be a slow day. Yesterday was quilt group at church and while I volunteered to bring home a bag of newly acquired fabric from a garage sale to wash, someone thought I volunteered to bring home all of it (3 large bags). So today I am busy washing fabric and separating the good pieces from the stained pieces. Made a crock pot of tortilla soup yesterday. Am not a fan of the recipe I used, but with a few more additions it turned out pretty good. Today I found a recipe that I used a few years ago, so will put another batch on. I like soups for lunch and always freeze some for those days when I don't feel like cooking. Really trying to eat healthy since I am only 3 pounds away from my weight watcher goal. Never made it to guild last night. Was too tired and the speaker was about adding bling to your quilts and art pieces. Since this is not something I'm interested in and it was raining, I stayed home.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

KPH
October 3rd, 2018, 12:49 PM
Good Morning All,

J came for home school this morning. Things went well. I think my son is figuring out he doesn't have to load up my days with J because I can load them up without any help! Today, we did his math, language and Bible in no time flat. Then we played with money, talked about points, lines, plane figures and solids, had an art lesson, contraction lesson, introduced quotation marks and when they're used, read The Keeping Quilt, and took a long walk looking for ways to show motion (for his art lesson tomorrow). I sewed another set of blocks for his quilt that 'he's making'. I showed him a pinwheel block today and flying geese. He wasn't impressed with the flying geese but liked the pinwheel.

This afternoon, I'm going to call the heater/air company Jim recommended. I want a new thermostat and I know the filter hasn't been changed because every time I mention it, Mike is like 'Dad bought a permanent filter'. lol, I get no where with my boys at times! I want the guy to come and show me what to do. The ac/heat isn't that old, I want to take care of it.

Jerrod called yesterday, he's so thankful for all of the prayers on his behalf. Everything is going well with the gene therapy. He's gaining muscle mass, his hair is filling in and thicker (facial and topknot). He's feeling great and having trouble knowing what to do with the energy that he has (since he's never ever felt this way before). He's down to less than one of his former doses of corn starch for the whole day. He's so proud that he can actually just use specimen sized jars for his dose instead of the huge cups he was having to carry all the time. Hopefully, they'll cut his corn starch even more when he goes back in October. Mike is going with him on that checkup.

Prayers for those in need, for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings!

JCY
October 3rd, 2018, 04:56 PM
I'm back ~ Had time to do some browsing. One of the expectant moms at church wants bunnies with pink, gray, & white for her baby quilt. I had a difficult time finding bunnies that weren't mixed in with Easter eggs, chicks, or the colors weren't right, or the fabric was flannel. I finally found something that will work & ordered 1 yard along with the DD, which wonder of wonders, still is available! That really surprised me that it hadn't sold out. I didn't really NEED it, but it will come in handy for a future project. The price certainly was right. I also have an assortment of whites & creams yardage or FQs in my stash.

Can you believe it?!!! Our temp. has soared to 92 deg. this afternoon! Very unusual for Oct.; it may be a last blast of summer heat, since the weather is expected to change soon. It's quite breezy. We're starting to get fall colors around town. The leaves are so pretty in the bright sunlight.

Well, it's time for my daily cup of coffee (always decaf) & some reading.

MSN
October 3rd, 2018, 11:14 PM
Navy Wife,

Twenty years ago, I had my kitchen remodeled. What was supposed to take a few weeks stretched into months, and then more months. I had to go 20 weeks without a kitchen. I sure was tired of eating cold cereal and bagels! Sure hope your project goes a lot more smoothly.

Navy Wife
October 4th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Thanks! Ours started last May when we ordered custom cabinets. In September, when they hadn't started on the cabinets, we canceled that order and ordered from a different company. They will be in next week. Meanwhile, my "do it yourself" husband started in May taking the place apart. At 84, he is determined to do as much as he can. He can still do a lot of things, but has to rest a lot. Anyway, my kitchen has been torn up since mid May. At least it was usable until yesterday when the water had to be turned off. He took the floor up in June, and we have been walking on subfloor since. Plus, he loosened all the tops, and some of the cabinets. My biggest problem with the remodel has been DH! Gotta love him!