PDA

View Full Version : It's a wet Tuesday today

Monique
October 2nd, 2018, 07:36 AM

Good morning friends. I had a good day yesterday. Started the baby quilt. Out at lunch time to get a few things I need for tonight. I have a secret sister and I needed to get her something as our meeting is tonight.

I ended up closing an hour earlier as I needed to go get Les and then come back to vote. The 2 quilts found their way to their new home. One of the ladies called me to thank me for the beautiful quilt. It is in her favorite colors. She sounded so terribly weak over the phone. So sad. Also another customer's wife is headed for Palliative Care. I felt so sorry for him as he spoke to me, so much sadness.

So for today I shall continue with the baby quilt. Les will be driving me to work this morning. He will attend the funeral of a friend's mom this morning.

Have a great day friends.

KPH
October 2nd, 2018, 07:45 AM
Good Morning,

It's still really dark here this morning. Down to the low 70s so I imagine, it would feel heavenly outside this morning.

I filled out the forms to have my ballot sent to me. I'll be mailing it in again this year. Yesterday the phone rang off the hook! Political calls, and other nonsense, my new line answering the phone, is DO NOT CALL LIST.

After the kids leave today, I'm going to start laying out one row at a time the 9 patch hour glass. I think it will be easier than putting the whole thing back out.

Time to get busy the grands will be here shortly and I need to put away my computer and camera before they get here. And more coffee, a lot more coffee!

Cathy F
October 2nd, 2018, 08:07 AM
Morning all,

It is very early here but I've been up awhile. We arrived in Missouri yesterday and made good time from NY, we are a day ahead of schedule. We thought it would take longer than it did. This morning we will head to Cameron and then over to Hamilton, have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming!

The weather here is much warmer than home which has been an added bonus. Saw some beautiful farm land on this trip and a lot of corn fields! Yesterday we went off the interstate and went to an antique place and I found a sugar bowl and creamer to add to my collection of pink depression glass. We met an elderly gentleman in the shop who was 98, and told us the history of the area we were in, it was a great side trip.

Well, that's it for now. Wishing everyone a good day, going to try to catch a few more winks before it's time to get up.

baslp
October 2nd, 2018, 08:22 AM
Good morning all,

I am tutoring this am. Have PT this afternoon. I need to spend some time on the phone with our internet co. To figure out why our internet keeps cutting out. I did manage to do some pinning on my quilt yesterday.

Have a good day
Beth

JCY
October 2nd, 2018, 09:14 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Lots of early birds today. Of course, it's still dark here, too. It's 50 deg. It might reach 80 today, but there aren't very many warm days in the extended forecast. Some temps. may dip into the 30's next week. I was able to get the sprinkler system blow-out appt. moved up to Mon. the 8th.

I'm very stiff & sore this morning from my chores yest. The service man was here by 9:00 to drain the swamp cooler & get it ready for winter. It didn't warm up very fast, so I waited until after 10 a.m. after the sun came out to tackle the job I'd planned to do: vacuum out the window well for one of the bsmt. windows. They all need doing, but this is the only one I'm able to do. I used DH's long foam pad to lay on my side to reach down with the vac. to get at all the spider webs & leaves. I vac'd up one large black spider as well as several daddy long legs. The glue board I'd placed there Sept. 2017 contained many crickets. I placed 2 ant traps & a new glue board in the well.

The shop vac had not been emptied since last year when my son was here. DH didn't feel up to doing it, but he helped me get the top off & I did it. The filter grooves were packed. I used a tooth brush to work the dirt out of each groove. That was a dirty job!

As long as I already was dirty, I cleaned the "fountain". Years ago we ran the pump, but DH no longer could keep up with it or felt up to doing it. The past several years we've just filled the shell bowl & used it for a bird bath. The boy on the turtle top gets stored in the garage during the winter. I wiped out all the water. I cover it with a garbage can lid & 2 garbage plastic bags, secured around the base with a bungee cord. So one more job got ticked off the list. The geranium leaves in the flower pots are turning fall colors & look pretty. I'll leave them out till they get zapped with frost.

No more time now.

chelea
October 2nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Joy have you tried those clear plastic covers for the window wells to keep the stuff out of it?

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 2nd, 2018, 10:01 AM
Good morning ladies,

Monique - what a great gift of love, all the quilts provided by VictorIa Quilts. Yesterday was our monthly group, but I was the only one sewing. We are usually 7-8. There were a few ladies to tie, so I kept person cutting and ironing busy. I finished a top in 2 1/2 hours. This one was easy and had pretty colours so it was motivating. Today I will get trained on their machine on Grace frame.

Cathy F- how exciting that you are in MO. It is beautiful area. Take it all in. You should plan to have lunch at the Blue Sage, I went around 1:30 and it was not as busy. Remember it closes at 3, as do most of the eateries near the shops. There are a few antique stores on the street. If I went again, I would go to Liberty, Mo about 30 mins away and visit Angela Walters shop. I drove through Liberty but was on a schedule and could not stop.

Joy - your list of outdoor work will be on my to-do list in a few weeks. While we have been having cooler weather, we are not hopefully going to get the winter blast until much later. Our system blast is booked for Oct 16, and is about the time where we close up the yard, empty the flower pots, even if things are still flowering. I still remember the year where it was warm and DH was in the yard on xmas day in his shorts, and we had not had snow. Then 3 days later, cold and snow just blasted us until mid-March. I am dreaming this will be our winter.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Stay dry. Stay warm.

Carol336
October 2nd, 2018, 10:08 AM
Good morning all. Sunny here in MD today. I really should try to get out and walk, but my energy level is kinda low - no excuses - gonna make the effort today.

I just finished 9 quilted Christmas stockings for my craft fair in November. They were really fun to do - I'll try to post a picture if I can figure out how to hang them up somewhere. I think my next project for the fair is going to be curling iron travel cases. I bought the ironing board Teflon stuff yesterday after DH had his MRI and I printed out a free pattern. Not sure I'm thrilled with the pattern, but they are few and far between on the internet and I really don't want to have to buy one if I can help it.

Joy - my you are certainly one busy gal! I know being a caregiver to DH makes it hard, but do try to take a little time out for yourself when you can.

Have a great day everyone

pcbatiks
October 2nd, 2018, 10:17 AM
Good morning everyone.

Cathy, I hope you and Barb have a great time together! Enjoy your time in Hamilton too.

JulieC
October 2nd, 2018, 11:11 AM
Good morning!

I took a personal day off work today, I'm having an exterminator out...I think a mouse may have found its way into the basement. Some of the insulation in the basement is on the floor, although a friend of mine said the insulation could just be deteriorating. I haven't seen any other signs, but I figure better safe than sorry. If there is one, it hasn't tripped the trap in the usual kill spot under the basement stairs.

I posted to the "I don't want it, you can have it" group this morning. I bought a Halloween appliqué set at the quilt show in April but won't be using it. Check the group out if you are interested.

There's rain in the forecast today, hard to believe it is October already! Temps will be near 80 today, and in the upper 70's most of the week. The trees are still very green, we're definitely having a late fall this year. I may have to reschedule the fall gutter cleaning. They're supposed to come out the week before Thanksgiving, now I'm wondering if that's too early and I should have asked for after Thanksgiving instead.

Tonight is family dinner night, and it's my turn (my sister and I alternate being in charge of dinner). I'm making creamed chicken and biscuits. I confess, the biscuits are from frozen, and the creamed chicken is semi-homemade (I use canned broth and pre-cooked, frozen chicken). It's one of my sister's favorites, but I don't make it very often. I usually do take-out because Mom likes to eat at 6pm sharp. If I had to cook after work we'd be eating at 8pm.

Have a happy Tuesday!

KarenC
October 2nd, 2018, 11:40 AM
Good morning. Sounds like everyone is busy today. It's been a while since I have been here. Forum retreat last week was AWESOME. We had 4 newbies attending for the first time, one being a friend of mine. We really did have a good trip, and I loved traveling with her. Finished a few smaller projects but not too much on the larger one. Once I got home and unpacked, I volunteered to quilt a top for the church youth group. It still needed borders, so completed that too. Used a simple random loop design for the quilting. Will turn that in today. The kids and granddaughter came over for lunch on Sunday. It had been 2 weeks since I saw the baby. Sure did miss her.

Put all the fixings in the crock pot for chicken tortilla soup this morning, and will head out in a bit for quilt group at church. Need to get all my supplies together. Tonight is our monthly guild meeting. Need to go if not too tired. Sister called this morning to let me know my niece went to the hospital in labor last night. She finally gave up on the "natural childbirth" and asked for epidural. Still waiting for word that baby Rowen has made his appearance. OK, gotta get moving. Prayers and good thoughts for all.

LauraP
October 2nd, 2018, 11:41 AM
I have three quilt tops that need pinned and quilted so I think I will force myself to get them done. This is my least favorite part, I wish the quilt brownies would surprise me and do it overnight.

The beans are in the crockpot for chili tonight. We've been on a soup kick this week. I made a huge pot of vegetable soup and Bob made two batches of potato soup. All gone except one bowl of veg. I also made a cherry dump cake. I am trying to empty the freezers since we head to Arizona the end of the month. Have a grocery bag of bullhead filets that are going to my sil's for a fish fry. I think I'll take a mixed berry trifle too. Then I need to do something with the mangos. Good thing I like to cook!

KPH
October 2nd, 2018, 01:41 PM
Whew! Two bottomless pits, I say, two bottomless pits! They must be getting ready for growth spurts! They started right after they got here, a few crackers to start the morning, then about an hour later some carrots to tide them over, then about an hour later some Chili Mac ( two helpings for Zeke) for lunch with two peanut butter cookies for dessert! Thank goodness Nandy arrived to pick them up! I'd already pulled some apple sauce from the cupboard to have next if needed. Maybe they'll be alright until afternoon snack!

JCY
October 2nd, 2018, 05:52 PM
Hi, again ~ The lawn service was just here & mowed. Depending on next week's weather, today could be the last mowing of the season, except when they do the fall clean-up -- which can't be for a while, since so few leaves have come down.

I called first thing this a.m. to see if my massage therapist had any openings. She did, at 4:30 this afternoon. I booked it! Not a convenient time for DH, but he'll be eating his supper then, & I'll be back in time for his bedtime, which is at 6 p.m. I can hardly wait to get the kinks ironed out!

Window well covers - yes, we have them on all the bsmt. windows. That particular window is covered in the winter, but has a grill over it during the summer to allow fresh air to that BR. Thus, the bugs & leaves can fall through it. It now has the winter cover over it which is held in place with a couple bricks. All the other window well covers are fastened with brackets & screws, so I don't do those. When my DS visits, he'll do them, which may not be till next spring. It's been 16 mos. since they were last done, so there are lots of spiders, etc. in them. DH used to regularly clean those when he was in better health. He was so meticulous about maintenance & upkeep, but now we just have to depend on others to help us or let it go. It's frustrating.

It seems like I haven't accomplished much today. The mortuary called yest. afternoon & asked me to play the organ for my friend Martha's memorial service on Sat. I had to search through all my song books to find the 3 songs. Then they informed me there would be a special song, so I'll probably have to go extra early to practice with whomever is singing, "In the Sweet By and By." Sat. will be a busy day. I keep all my funeral music in one 3 ring binder; they're all songs I'm familiar with & have played for many funerals over the years. It's been a long time since I played for a wedding, and probably over a year since I played for the last funeral. Many folks now like special music from their CDs, etc.

We're having a nice day. It finally warmed up to 83 deg. & I've opened the windows. It was 50 this a.m.