PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Stop (a little lonf)

Carolnnc
September 29th, 2018, 03:49 PM
I'm asking you all to keep good thoughts for me over the next six weeks.

The realtor is coming today so we can sign a contract with her. When she came to look around and talk with us she told me to throw away the list I had because the house was ready to go on the market.

The problem is that I can't stop. Every time I look I see something I think needs to be done.

This morning I cleaned and re-caulked around the bottom of the toilets and painted the door that goes to the deck. Everyday I cry and obsess over this and we haven't even gotten to dealing with a buyer or an inspector.

I think I'm stressing and doing this because I found an area of damp dirt in the crawl space when I was under there with the HVAC guy. DH keeps saying, "it's no big deal Carol, it's been raining for two weeks and it's also been 100% humidity." I want to strangle him, I really, really do. I put a de-humidifier, 6 big buckets of Damp Rid and a large construction fan under the house a couple of days ago but the dirt still feels damp. There is vapor barrier under there so I pulled it back hoping to help. It's never been damp under there before and I just keep saying, "why now, why now." I know there's nothing wrong with the plumbing, HVAC or rain run off and it's driving me nuts that I can't figure out why it's wet and how to fix it. I'm scared to death we'll get an inspector who'll make us pay for drainage work. We really need any profit we make.

I know I'm borrowing trouble. I keep telling God that I'm sorry I'm giving him this and then yanking it back. I think he might have pulled my hair a couple of times to get my attention!

Please, please send good thoughts this way! DH is such a laid back person and can't take much stress so I feel pretty alone in this.

chelea
September 29th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Carol, big deep breath. Say a prayer and put it in God's hands.

auntstuff
September 29th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Your hubs is right. You should listen to him. Rain makes crawlspaces damp sometimes. It will dry.

MSN
September 29th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I think I'm stressing and doing this because I found an area of damp dirt in the crawl space when I was under there with the HVAC guy. DH keeps saying, "it's no big deal Carol, it's been raining for two weeks and it's also been 100% humidity." I want to strangle him, I really, really do. I put a de-humidifier, 6 big buckets of Damp Rid and a large construction fan under the house a couple of days ago but the dirt still feels damp. There is vapor barrier under there so I pulled it back hoping to help. It's never been damp under there before and I just keep saying, "why now, why now." I know there's nothing wrong with the plumbing, HVAC or rain run off and it's driving me nuts that I can't figure out why it's wet and how to fix it.

Carol, you only found that area of dampness in the crawl space because you were in there with the HVAC guy. I bet it's been damp before after a heavy rain, but you just weren't looking for it. It will dry out.

And remember these words of wisdom:

Let go, let God.

Judy, USMC
September 29th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Carol - I held a NC General Contractor license for 15 years and was also a NC licensed Home Inspector during that time. The vapor barrier is there to prevent the moisture in the ground invading the crawl space. Removing or repositioning the plastic will cause the moisture to get into the area of the floor joists so please put it back where it was. There is a lengthy explanation and I'll pm you.

Carlie Wolf
September 29th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Carol it's been an incredibly damp humid summer. I can barely even cut the grass it just never dries out. The dew in the morning never dries out, it always looks like we had a monsoon the night before... and couple that with all the rain we've had. And you've gotten even more lately. I think people purchasing in your State will be thrilled that yours wasn't one of the many houses under water! Relax, you're in good shape but I know how stressful it is selling a place. You'll make it and I'll pray it sells faster than a blink of an eye :-)

KPH
September 29th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Remember, "AS IS", you don't have to fix anything you don't want to fix. Your house is under contract, so relax!

Easier said than done, I know two houses worth less than 2 years ago!

pcbatiks
September 29th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Carol......you do know NOT to pray for patience....right?? :D I was told many years ago by a pastor's wife. Don't pray for patience....because He will test you. :D

Sending a comforting hug.

Carolnnc
September 29th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Carol - I held a NC General Contractor license for 15 years and was also a NC licensed Home Inspector during that time. The vapor barrier is there to prevent the moisture in the ground invading the crawl space. Removing or repositioning the plastic will cause the moisture to get into the area of the floor joists so please put it back where it was. There is a lengthy explanation and I'll pm you.

Thank you Judy! I went under the house and put the piece of vapor barrier back down. What you said was the best reason for me to calm down and stop looking at things. I'll check for the PM and read it thoroughly.

I'm thinking I need to go out to a couple of movies, go for a massage and take a long drive next week.

grammaterry
September 29th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Carol, we are all wet, no matter what. Our house does not have heat or air and usually very mild humidity but this year we have swollen drawer s in the furniture, the kitchen cabinets and our kitchen hardwoods are buckling from the humidity. We put a dehumidifier in and I empty 12 buckets daily but there is nothing else I can do. I am patient, DH is going nuts.

Carolnnc
September 29th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Carol, we are all wet, no matter what. Our house does not have heat or air and usually very mild humidity but this year we have swollen drawer s in the furniture, the kitchen cabinets and our kitchen hardwoods are buckling from the humidity. We put a dehumidifier in and I empty 12 buckets daily but there is nothing else I can do. I am patient, DH is going nuts.

Thanks Terry, You made me smile. I can see your DH and I are kindred spirits.

Bubby
September 30th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Could it be condensation from the A/C?

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 30th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Carol,

It's all good advice. Relax and just get prepared for your move. I would just keep the house neat and tidy, but at one point you have to let go of doing the repairs. I remember that my exDH kept touching up baseboards and minor items. He always felt the new owners would judge us if it wasn't perfect. A not-new home is not going to be perfect.

I hope that this will be a good move for you both.

Carolnnc
September 30th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Could it be condensation from the A/C?

I think it's partly that and then all the rain we've had the past two weeks. In the 11 years we've lived here we've not had this much rain at one time.

lots2do
October 1st, 2018, 06:37 PM
Oh, selling a house could try the patience of a saint. Maybe you need a small, neat project to take your mind off of things like English Paper Piecing. Good luck and I'm glad you got some good, solid advice on the barrier.