PDA

View Full Version : How to figure yardage needed

Alaina
February 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I have a block pattern that I want to make into a queen-sized quilt....the block is called Celtic Twist by McCall's Quilting. I need to know how much fabric I would need to make this quilt. Anyone have any good resources for this info?

Alaina
February 19th, 2012, 06:35 PM
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/details.html?idx=13782

Here's the link to the block pattern....I've asked on McCall's website, but have not gotten a response.

DCM
February 19th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I calculate yardage by first figuring out how many blocks I need in the quilt for it to be the size I want. Then use graph paper -- you have to determine what scale you're going to use for one block on the graph paper (I usually have each square on the graph paper equal to 2" -- so if your fabic width is 40" you will need 20 blocks on the graph paper to represent the width -- the length of fabric that you will buy will be determined after you draw all your pieces on the graph paper). I use a separate piece of graph paper for each different fabric that I need to buy and draw out the total number of pieces that will be needed per fabric. I don't know if that makes any sense but this always works for me when the measurements aren't included with a pattern or when I'm going to use a different fabric configuration than is in the instructions. Hope that helps!