PDA

View Full Version : Best way to paint an unfinished wooden crate?

lots2do
September 26th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Hi all,
I have this crate that I'd like to paint white all over and then add painted accents. Which way to go? White spray paint followed by acrylic paint accents? Milk paint? Regular old white latex house paint followed by acrylic paint?
I'd love to get this project done while I can still paint outside (at least for the base coat).
Thank you for your help...

Hulamoon
September 26th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I think it depends if you want the grain to show through. I painted an unfinished country cabinet with a blue stain and it was beautiful. Do you want this country, modern or traditional? I would pick a style first.

jjkaiser
September 26th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I would set it in a cardboard box and spray paint it. After it dries I would rough it up with sandpaper. I like the rustic look.

MHG Winnower
September 26th, 2018, 05:03 PM
I'd go with a solid color latex stain....yep, stain. It goes on bare wood like a dream, doesn't flake. If you want suggestions of brands, PM me. I use it on all my outdoor structures. Holds up like you wouldn't believe. Clean up is easy, too.

lots2do
September 29th, 2018, 07:27 AM
I have an unfinished window box that's front piece is one piece with outlines of houses, too.. I'd like to start with a white base and then paint the houses different colors with accents like shutters. The thought is to use it in my sewing space to hold patterns or such.

LLLinda
September 29th, 2018, 01:11 PM
That's a cute idea. Not only functional but attractive too.

lots2do
October 1st, 2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks, everybody.