PDA

View Full Version : A nice chat...

bubba
September 24th, 2018, 10:06 PM
I FaceTimed with Andrea on my iPad and Dolores on my phone today while Andrea was at the retreat. She showed me a picture of the center and it looks pretty empty. I think she said only 15 people were attending. Iím sure it has to do with the new commuter rule. Last year, several of us stayed at the Super 8, and there were probably 20 at the retreat center. That was when we were told in the future there would only be two commuter tickets for the retreat.

Iím wishing I had been told the room I had wanted became available last week. Had I been told, Iíd have flown back to KC to meet Dolores at the retreat and we could have done our road trip from there....oh well.

I am leaving on Wednesday morning to fly to Ohio and we leave the next morning. First stop will be Nashville!!

Canít wait to see what kind of trouble we can get into! That will more than likely be when we meet up with Andrea for a couple days in Paducah.....canít wait!

auntiemern
September 25th, 2018, 01:24 AM
Actually there are 23 attending the retreat this year. It is perfectly fine just the way it is. There were 27 paid, but unfortunately 4 people had to cancel due to emergencies...so your info is just wrong. Actually it has been quite lovely without all the childish pranks going on this year, ...you know people actually behaving like adults. The people whom those pranks were played on, are grateful, that their new machines, and their phones were not subjected to other people messing with them this year, as the culprits did not come. As far as commuter tickets, there is NO reason for ANYONE to stay off site, unless they are traveling with their husband. There were 21 stayed at the center last year, and 11 commuters . Three of those commuters were traveling with their husbands....and there was no good reason to not stay at the sewing center. Everyone on the forum knew that Judy was not going to be able to come, and had to give up her commuter ticket...so that excuse doesn't work either.

bubba
September 25th, 2018, 02:12 AM
Marilyn, I am not making any excuses. The hotel is not even the room I was trying to get. It was from a worker there that I got the number I was given....perhaps they counted wrong.

I also have no idea of what pranks you are talking about. I was not on the receiving end of any, nor was I involved in any and did not hear of any pranks being done.

Having spent one retreat at the center and one at the hotel, they are both just as nice as the other. The bed are certainly more comfortable at the retreat center and if the rooms were easily accessible, I would be more than happy to stay there, but the stairs and my body parts do not get along.

Here's hoping that your good times continue.

auntiemern
September 25th, 2018, 02:30 AM
[QUOTE=bubba;1039566]I FaceTimed with Andrea on my iPad and Dolores on my phone today while Andrea was at the retreat. She showed me a picture of the center and it looks pretty empty. I think she said only 15 people were attending.]

[I’m wishing I had been told the room I had wanted became available last week.]

You specifically said Andrea told you that number....and if you were wanting the other down stairs room...well sorry, you couldn't have had that room anyway...because you are not handicapped....and there were actually beds available upstairs...so that excuse doesn't work either...but nice try though.

bubba
September 25th, 2018, 03:15 AM
Marilyn, I don't know why you have a hair up your butt tonight, but you need to knock it off and quit attacking me.

Yes, I was talking to Andrea, and lo and behold, there was also an employee that told us the number of people there. Actually, the employee did give the number of 17, which is two more than 15.

If you would like a note from my doctor as to my medical diagnosis, I would be more than happy to provide you with one that shows indeed, I do have a physical handicap that would enable me to have a room downstairs.

You don't need to bother to reply to this again, I won't be reading it.

Doloris
September 25th, 2018, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE=bubba;1039566]I FaceTimed with Andrea on my iPad and Dolores on my phone today while Andrea was at the retreat. She showed me a picture of the center and it looks pretty empty. I think she said only 15 people were attending.]

[I’m wishing I had been told the room I had wanted became available last week.]

You specifically said Andrea told you that number....and if you were wanting the other down stairs room...well sorry, you couldn't have had that room anyway...because you are not handicapped....and there were actually beds available upstairs...so that excuse doesn't work either...but nice try though.

You dont have to be handicapped to get a room downstairs. That was proven last year. And being part of the facetime conversation I too remember numbers in the teens being said.
I am too old to go back to sleeping in dorms with people I don't know. Just my personal feelings. And I live in a split level house with only 6 steps between floors for a reason.
I hope everyone is having a great time. I miss seeing some friends, but the road trip we will be taking over the next 2 weeks will be just as fun.

Sandy Navas
September 25th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Guess that just goes to show one of the many reasons I chose not to go back . . . .

Vonnie
September 25th, 2018, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=auntiemern;1039579]

You dont have to be handicapped to get a room downstairs. That was proven last year. And being part of the facetime conversation I too remember numbers in the teens being said.
I am too old to go back to sleeping in dorms with people I don't know. Just my personal feelings. And I live in a split level house with only 6 steps between floors for a reason.
I hope everyone is having a great time. I miss seeing some friends, but the road trip we will be taking over the next 2 weeks will be just as fun.

I went just one time for a retreat. The beds were comfortable but they put four beds in one room. I had no where to place my glasses because there was not even a night stand between beds. And there was only about a foot between beds. One lady's bed was put in front of the only closet in the room. The stairs are very steep. I don't have a handicap other then getting older with arthritis. My knees complained on those steps especially carrying luggage. On a positive note, I did have fun at the retreat. I think I spent more at the stores than I did on the retreat. And the ladies hosting the retreat were very entertaining.

Doloris, your road trip does sound fun!

amartin24
September 25th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Wow, just wow! Is this high school? Makes me never want to go!

quiltsRfun
September 25th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Wow, just wow! Is this high school? Makes me never want to go!

I was thinking the same thing.

Judy, USMC
September 25th, 2018, 03:54 PM
I went just one time for a retreat. The beds were comfortable but they put four beds in one room. I had no where to place my glasses because there was not even a night stand between beds. And there was only about a foot between beds. One lady's bed was put in front of the only closet in the room.

I heard that some of the beds may be removed because of the space issue. I just checked the number of beds for the November Wild West Retreat and it has 4 ADA and 33 upstairs. But looking at the March Back to the 50's has 4 ADA and 28 upstairs. Looks like they may be removing 5 beds ` 1 each from rooms 6 through 10.

Also noted that there is a limit of 2 commuter tickets for every retreat. I think they were being generous with the number of commuter tickets that were allowed for the Forum Retreat that one year. I've also known of retreaters who were traveling with their husbands and they stayed at the Sewing Center while their husbands stayed at a hotel.

IMO, Room availability shouldn't be a reflection on the retreaters ... more of a now-standard Missouri Star policy.

bubba
September 25th, 2018, 04:01 PM
IMO, Room availability shouldn't be a reflection on the retreaters ... more of a now-standard Missouri Star policy.

And I have no problem with that. Living several states away, by the time I fly back and pay for the retreat, it is close to $1000. When I can share a hotel room with one or two other people, it is a couple hundred dollars less.

It's nice to have options.

chelea
September 25th, 2018, 05:11 PM
It's kind of too bad about the limit on commuter tickets. I have sleep issues so could never stay at the retreat center...just to give some perspective as to why one would choose not to stay there. Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.

Caroline T.
September 25th, 2018, 06:07 PM
It's kind of too bad about the limit on commuter tickets. I have sleep issues so could never stay at the retreat center...just to give some perspective as to why one would choose not to stay there. Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.

And I snore, so no one would want me in the same room, even DH doesn't sleep in the same room with me!

Claire Hallman
September 25th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.
There have been CPAP machines at the retreats where I have gone. I wouldn't worry about that being a problem, they didn't bother anyone.

Judy, USMC
September 25th, 2018, 06:30 PM
And I snore, so no one would want me in the same room, even DH doesn't sleep in the same room with me!

I believe they have a supply of ear plugs too!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 25th, 2018, 06:36 PM
I would still love to go to a retreat (anywhere), for the fun of quilting, learning, meeting new friends and a break from the routine. I think that is their goal. Right?

Having said that, I have traveled most of my working life, and I got used to a high standard of accommodation. Personal travel is the same. I don't camp, RV or don't do cottages any more. I like to have the comforts of home when I am away from home. I travel first class by air or rail, and stay in the best hotels in the city. I use spa facilities while travelling, so my arthritis and back issues don't cause me problems. I do room service as I need 'alone' time to remain friendly. And I do need a lot of alone time. You might say this is weird, but I also don't want to subject my possible roommates to my heavy snoring and flatulence that could peel the paint off the walls. When I explore sewing retreats, I look for single accommodation.

I have stayed in Cameron, and while it was a nice little hotel with comfortable beds, it was only 'ok'.

kensington
September 25th, 2018, 08:01 PM
It is what is... a retreart center. It's in a building they rescued thats been around since the wild west days... some groups are very large and they need more beds. Other groups... might not see the need for so many beds. If you've ever seen the KC quilters guild, they can't fit here. You only spend so much time in bed... so, theres that. If you wanna retreat, this is the place for you... its very clean, the people are fun and helpful. They can't please everyone, but if you can adapt and enjoy sewing with your forum friends, maybe you will come. We are having a great time this year!

baslp
September 25th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I am also past the time where I want to share a room with people even if I know them.i sleep with a white noise sound machine . I like to go to bed early. I only go to retreats that have the option of single rooms. I will pay extra for it.

kensington
September 25th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I am also past the time where I want to share a room with people even if I know them.i sleep with a white noise sound machine . I like to go to bed early. I only go to retreats that have the option of single rooms. I will pay extra for it.

Well, this is probably not the retreat center for you... I'm sure the is one for you somewhere. Goodluck!

cjsews
September 26th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Some comments are best left inside our heads. Why start such 8th grade drama? I hope all at retreat are having fun

Jean Sewing Machine
September 26th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Some comments are best left inside our heads. Why start such 8th grade drama? I hope all at retreat are having fun
We are having a great time! Getting a lot done!

cv quilter
September 27th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Not picking on anyone, but this thread is sad. So much hostility. Not like the usual happy, positive banter and conversations

midnightline
September 27th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Wow... I have to agree with cv quilter on this.

I haven't been to the forum retreat but I've been to their hosted retreats. You -can- use your CPAP there, you can request a nightstand ahead of time and they will provide one, and most people are respectful of other people's possessions. And there are indeed plenty of ear plugs.

At their hosted retreats, food and entertainment is included in the price, so that does make a huge difference in value over a regular hotel (plus there's nothing like being able to sew all hours of the night). They give you a TON of goodies (templates, patterns, panels, etc). And then there's the garage sale... not sure how much I'm allowed to say about the garage sale, but I spent quite a bit of $ there too.

JCY
September 27th, 2018, 07:11 PM
I suggest the moderators close down this thread. It was a disappointment to me as well.

auntiemern
September 27th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Wow... I have to agree with cv quilter on this.

I haven't been to the forum retreat but I've been to their hosted retreats. You -can- use your CPAP there, you can request a nightstand ahead of time and they will provide one, and most people are respectful of other people's possessions. And there are indeed plenty of ear plugs.

At their hosted retreats, food and entertainment is included in the price, so that does make a huge difference in value over a regular hotel (plus there's nothing like being able to sew all hours of the night). They give you a TON of goodies (templates, patterns, panels, etc). And then there's the garage sale... not sure how much I'm allowed to say about the garage sale, but I spent quite a bit of $ there too.

Exactly the same at the forum retreat. Meals are furnished, and we have mini classes...(no entertainment provided, we provide our own.) MSQC has ALWAYS given the forum members special considerations at our retreats, and this year was no different, as they gave as an extra day at the same price, as their sponsored retreats. An amazing time was had by all of us....and there were no pranks played.
What is sad, is that some people think it is ok, to unplug total strangers expensive machines, or to turn them off, or to cut someones thread , and mess with their cellphones. All of this behavior happened last year, and was reported to the leader of our group. Thankfully, whoever the culprits were did not grace us with their presence this year, and doubtfully will be back...because lets face it...if ya can't jump on the beds, and and be a PITA to those around you...it just may not be quite as fun. Hope than some of you can join us next year...because we really do have a GREAT time. We are all already looking forward to next year.

auntstuff
September 27th, 2018, 07:50 PM

I have to agree. I'm uncomfortable enough sleeping away from home without being expected to sleep with total strangers.

kensington
September 27th, 2018, 10:53 PM
I have to agree. I'm uncomfortable enough sleeping away from home without being expected to sleep with total strangers.

There is no sleeping with strangers, everyone gets their own bed. :icon_heh:

But, it's really more about getting to know new people, sewing with them and making friends. You can glean great information from other quilters, help someone who needs it and or oooo and ahhh over all the talent you are exposed to by being with such a diverse group.

I guess retreats aren't for everyone. I understand people have quirks and issues, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm going out on a limb and saying that there was just the right amount of people there, and all the right people showed up. Well, except Judy had to stay home... and yet was still a part of it all.

I have a friend who does a quilting retreat in the woods every year... Not for me. And she does one at a Hotel. There are just all kinds I suppose. I absolutely LOVE that I can walk out the door of the retreat center and go into any one of the shops and buy anything I want or need right there. No one complained about my snoring... but, I was in a room by myself with 6 beds... I had the perfect roomate... ME!! My left knee hates stairs, but I climbed them. I don't care for continental breakfast, so I took the opportunity to sleep in each morning, cuts down on anxiety. I nailed Pajama day... LOL. I was the only person at JJ's for lunch in curlers and a bathrobe. I overheard one woman say, "I guess they just roll out of bed and go out around here."... BEST response ever!!

My husband missed me, and asked me to come home early, I said, "I can't, I still have money." I hate goodbyes, and I hate carrying my own luggage, but I did them both when the time came.

I came home, left the car loaded, put on my PJ's and took a Wonderful nap. I haven't been so blissfully tired in a long time.

God bless all who came, you made this ol'e girls year... If laughter does a body good.... I'm in great shape!! I won't forget you, if you need me... call me. I'll be here.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 28th, 2018, 06:15 AM
There is no sleeping with strangers, everyone gets their own bed. :icon_heh:

But, it's really more about getting to know new people, sewing with them and making friends. You can glean great information from other quilters, help someone who needs it and or oooo and ahhh over all the talent you are exposed to by being with such a diverse group.

I guess retreats aren't for everyone. I understand people have quirks and issues, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm going out on a limb and saying that there was just the right amount of people there, and all the right people showed up. Well, except Judy had to stay home... and yet was still a part of it all.

I have a friend who does a quilting retreat in the woods every year... Not for me. And she does one at a Hotel. There are just all kinds I suppose. I absolutely LOVE that I can walk out the door of the retreat center and go into any one of the shops and buy anything I want or need right there. No one complained about my snoring... but, I was in a room by myself with 6 beds... I had the perfect roomate... ME!! My left knee hates stairs, but I climbed them. I don't care for continental breakfast, so I took the opportunity to sleep in each morning, cuts down on anxiety. I nailed Pajama day... LOL. I was the only person at JJ's for lunch in curlers and a bathrobe. I overheard one woman say, "I guess they just roll out of bed and go out around here."... BEST response ever!!

My husband missed me, and asked me to come home early, I said, "I can't, I still have money." I hate goodbyes, and I hate carrying my own luggage, but I did them both when the time came.

I came home, left the car loaded, put on my PJ's and took a Wonderful nap. I haven't been so blissfully tired in a long time.

God bless all who came, you made this ol'e girls year... If laughter does a body good.... I'm in great shape!! I won't forget you, if you need me... call me. I'll be here.
Girl, that's why you won the " You Nailed it!" Award! This comment nails the reason why this retreat was the best one yet! Glad to have shared the week with you!

stitching woman
September 28th, 2018, 10:48 AM
To me this was the best retreat yet. These women are so supportive of each other and willing to share there many talents. I left with my heart so full of happiness, can't wait for next year.