PDA

View Full Version : Sunday - Sunday! :)

JCY
September 23rd, 2018, 09:10 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ We were supposed to be done with the 90's, but got fooled. It was 93 yest. But we had a very cool start to the day at 48, our coolest morning yet. It's supposed to be close to 90 again today.

I resumed the caulking job yest. a.m. after it warmed up a bit. Our garage door doesn't stop when going up or down, so in order to work on the door, I wanted to disengage the door opener & position the door where I needed it to stop. DH couldn't remember the way to do it, so I went to Google & YT. I watched 2 videos & figured it out. Worked perfectly. Oh, but I had forgotten how h-e-a-v-y that old door was! It's the original wood door. I was able to lift it, but it didn't want to stay where I wanted it, so I put the small step ladder under it to keep it in place. The lower panels of the door were then in easy reach to finish the caulking.

Next came the painting. Our exterior house paint is several years old, but after I stirred it up, it looked ok. I went all around the house & touched up that strip that always needs it. It meant working from the step ladder, so my lower back & legs were feeling it by the time I finished. The sun was beating on the S. side of the garage -- too hot to work -- so I skipped that side & will do it another time. I also touched up some dings in the wood on the shed where the lawn service mowers swung around & banged it. After cleaning up & putting things away, it was time for a long soak in the tub. DH was so worried about the garage door, wondering if it would work ok after being disengaged. But I followed the video instructions, & everything worked fine. Thank goodness for YT. My son uses it a lot for car & household projects. He's been able to do a lot of his own car repair, except for major things.

This a.m. will be church. I need to make 2 stops on the way home, Vitamin Cottage & Home Depot. I'll be taking it easy this afternoon.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Good morning Joy and all who will follow,

I am impressed with all the house repairs that you are doing, especially in that heat. When we had the doors replaced this summer, we had the bits of wood on the house covered in siding. I've been trying to make the house as maintenance free as possible.

UPDATE - Tornado that hit the Ottawa-Gatineau area on Friday evening has now been rated an EF-3. The damage is quite significant. Upwards of 250,000 are without power and it will take some time to rebuild. Communities are strong. They will rebuild. We were lucky and escaped damage. Only one fence panel needs to be re-attached.

Yesterday we spent the day with Michael's son Eric, GKs Matilda, Olivia and baby Michael. They have no power. He boiled water for formula and spent the day with his dad. I brought the girls to the playgrounds behind our house. They also picked up loads of pine cones which came down with the winds. DIL Diana visited her mom in hospital after heart surgery on Wednesday. The hospital was on emergency power for a few hours. Power was restored to SIL's home by suppertime. They may lose it again as they rebuild the hydro station in their area which was completely destroyed.

Monique - are you ok? I know that power was lost and damage in Arnprior which is one of the guild's you attend. What a welcome home after such a beautiful trip.

Today I will clean up the outside side yard as we are on a corner. I will add more mulch to keep the weeds down. It is much cooler and I prefer this for working outdoor.

Prayers needed for those who have been in the path of Mother Nature's fury in the past month. Be safe. Stay dry.

Monique
September 23rd, 2018, 10:08 AM
Good morning from a MUCH cooler morning. Yes Suzanne, we are okay, nothing really happened here except that we lost power for a time. We were very fortunate but not so in so many areas in and around Ottawa. My heart goes out to them. Arnprior didn't get hit too bad, mainly torrential rains.

We attended the wedding for my nephew yesterday. Luckily the barn in which it was held was not hit by the storm but they did watch it in the distance the night before. As far as I know there were no casualties as of yet but some were in hospital with a few in critical condition. We don't get tornadoes around here, they are very rare. I just can't imagine what those people are going through.

I will need a nap later, home late and up early but I will bet that I feel better than Les does this morning. He is still sleeping and I drove home, enough said, LOL!!

I need to get out a little later and get some groceries. I lost weight while I was on vacation and I would like to continue the trend. We didn't eat very many potatoes but ate a lot of meat and seafood. We didn't eat a whole lot of bread either, it was mostly for breakfast. We also ate more veggies.

Have a good day everyone. Not sure what today will bring although I think it will be mainly a quiet day.

baslp
September 23rd, 2018, 11:22 AM
Good morning. Sounds like everyone is busy with house projects. Joy- I am ready to move to the Denver area. I love the weather there. We have rain again for most of the week. Our news had a segment on the Ottawa tornado. Boy did it cause a lot of damage.

I plan on ironing my rows and add the triangles while watching the Eagles football game.

Have a good day

JulieC
September 23rd, 2018, 12:43 PM
Good morning! I am in awe of all of the do-it-yourselfers on the forum -- I can't imagine fixing my garage door. One time when the power went out I used the manual release, then had to call a guy to hook the door back up again. I have no clue how to do it; it involves climbing on a ladder and I don't have one. The garage door at my old house, all I had to do was pull the door up with the cord and -- if I yanked hard enough -- it would reconnect. That's probably the only thing I miss from my old house!

Yesterday was cool, in the low to mid-60's. The day before it was 85 and humid. Hard to believe it is the end of September, the weather has been so warm for us this year. I'm going to enjoy the cooler temps this week. I spent some time in my sewing room yesterday, and sewed together the top of my Christmas tree wall hanging. Despite my careful pinning, several of the seams came out a little wonky. Good thing finished is better than perfect! Next weekend I will get the Monster out and quilt it. (I call my embroidery machine "Monster" because it takes up a lot of space and is heavy.)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Bubby
September 23rd, 2018, 12:59 PM
Good Late Morning Everyone....We've been up since 4 am but just now found time to slow down. The Girls are the most reliable alarm clock ever.

I have been helping Jeff with some of his projects but now he's gone to mow so I escaped to the sewing room. Everyone sounds good and busy today. Trying to decide what to make for our dinner. I fixed meatloaf yesterday but don't feel like leftovers today. I'm not the biggest meatloaf fan. Some soup and a grilled cheese sandwich sounds good to me.

Joy, glad you were able to fix the garage door. YT is a wonderful resource.

Wishing everyone a good afternoon....

MissMay
September 23rd, 2018, 02:10 PM
Good Afternoon, Late start this morning as we had a busy day yesterday with my 2 sister's visiting. We snacked on coffee, bagels, tea biscuits and fresh fruits while we talked the afternoon away. DH had been feeling poorly the past few days but he perked up while they were here. Sister Carol lamented that she turned 69 last week, told her compared to me she's just a girl, LOL. Sister Pat's DD and her fiance set their wedding date and Pat and her DH will be moving soon to a nicer apartment so it was good to hear some good news.

Today I need to catch up with laundry and paper work and also plan some meals for the week. DH's brother lives in DC and will stop by Wednesday for dinner on his way to Manhattan. He's a former Marine officer and that's him handing his niece her commision in the Coast Guard, wonder who that other guy is?155193

chelea
September 23rd, 2018, 02:11 PM
Autumn is definitely in the air here; we went from daytime 80's to cloudy 60's and last night it went down to 44. Hubs put the cover on the pool which always makes me sad. Even if it's too cold to swim in, I love to see that beautiful turquoise water. It has to be covered before the leaves start to fall though. The summer flowers on the deck are still going strong.

Yesterday I spent the day putting up fall decorations. Made a new runner for the dining room table this week with some pretty metallic fall fabric. I made a couple of floral arrangements, put some autumn leaf garlands and mini lights on the mantel, a wreath on the front door and a huge yellow mum on the step. It looks cosy and festive around here. The farm stand next door is full of mums, pumpkins, cornstalks, hay bales and native apples.
Other than the runner, I did some cross stitching on my old sampler. I need to get busy with my 2 blockhead blocks for last week because there are 2 more coming out on Wednesday and I don't want to fall behind. We're already up to block 20 of 52.
Hope everyone has a safe and happy Sunday.

KPH
September 23rd, 2018, 02:20 PM
Good Afternoon All,

Yesterday, Mike took me to Quiltfest. Jim called shortly after we got there, Zeke was sick and throwing up. My brain was going, I'm not going home to keep him after spending money on breakfast, tickets, and parking and only going through 2 rows when he called. lol, he was just letting me know plans for church were in flux.

It was a marvelous show! They had one whole row with quilts made by children. The youngest was 8 years old. It was a fence rail quilt and it was tied. This child's seams were so straight! All of those quilts were beautiful beginnings of a life long hobby.

The best of show was a ship quilt. The border was beautiful with mermaids and all kinds of sea life. One the back, each ship had a story about the ship. It was all hand quilted. 155194

There were so many awe inspiring quilts and tons of vendors! All in all, it was a great day.

Tomorrow the little ones will be here. Nandy will pick them up around 11:30. After that, I'm going to call Fidelco.org to see about a seeing eye dog. Yesterday was a little nerve wracking with all of the people swooping in and out looking at the quilts and vendors. I hope I can make it happen.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength and hope. Prayers for those in nature's path and strength and wisdom in rebuilding. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Cokie
September 23rd, 2018, 03:28 PM
I had to be up this morning to get DS to work. He works in a restaurant and on Sunday, he makes breakfast for those who work there. This morning he wanted to make French toast with strawberries, so we made a quick stop at the grocery store then took him to work. I had to do grocery shopping too, so after I dropped him off, I went back and did my grocery shopping, got gas in the car, and went to the pharmacy. Made it home well before noon and now I have laundry going. It's cooled off here too. Feels like Fall and I love it. I tolerate the heat and humidity less every year. I had wanted to go to a fall festival nearby this weekend but my knee and leg are really bothering me and I'm sure I couldn't do the walking. I'm disappointed, but I really don't need anything else - it's fun to look though, and I'll miss my apple dumpling with ice cream! I plan to make some banana bread this afternoon, and I'm thinking meatloaf for supper. Maybe will sew a little if I can decide which project to work on. Hope you all have a good Sunday today!