PDA

View Full Version : Saturday greetings (post eF2 Tornado)

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 22nd, 2018, 08:37 AM
Good morning everyone,

Whoa, what a day yesterday. The day started with heavy downpours and t-storms. Later we were under tornado alert. A large tornado did hit late afternoon just west of the capital, almost levelling a small community of 100+ homes and businesses. Winds were throwing stuff around just about the time commuters were going home. Then it moved along the river and crossed the river on the Quebec side of the capital and caused major damage in the Gatineau area. It hit a heavily populated area , tearing off roofs and throwing cars. Power is out for over 100k people. DS & family with new baby were dining by candlelight. Major power lines are down which may take awhile to restore. It was swift and devastating. I just heard it was an EF2.

Monique - are you ok? do you have power? I think it hit areas of Arnprior (White Lake) which are across the river from you.

I think I will ask Eric, Diana and the GKs to come over until power is restored to their house. Diana's mom is still in hospital as she had heart surgery on Wednesday. A busy time for them.

I did some quilting yesterday on S16. DH was trying to embroider a name on a pillowcase but has been having trouble with machine lately. After I ripped out letters a few times, I suggested we to to store and get advice. Back home, he put in the proper needle, changed threads and it worked like a charm. Now for me to finish sewing it up for GD.

Not sure what today will bring. Be safe. Stay dry. Stay warm.

JCY
September 22nd, 2018, 09:00 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Oh, Suzanne, how scary for you. Sorry to hear about the tornado. Aren't those a bit unusual in Canada? Glad you're ok.

It's supposed to be sunny & 86 deg. today. I hope to get back outside to finish the caulking & start the touch-up painting. Not looking forward to it. I know that working from the step ladder will aggravate my lower back.

I finally got notice that an item I ordered from Home Depot is in. I need to go to the store to pick it up. While I'm there, I'll get a new window well cover for one of the bsmt. windows. It got chipped when we had that hail storm earlier in the summer. A friend from church will install it for us, since DH is not able, & I have no clue how to do it.

It's hard to believe this eve. starts our Fall season. Have a good week end.

Carlie Wolf
September 22nd, 2018, 09:07 AM
I hope everything gets back to normal soon. What a scary thing to happen :-(

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 22nd, 2018, 09:09 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Oh, Suzanne, how scary for you. Sorry to hear about the tornado. Aren't those a bit unusual in Canada? Glad you're ok.

Joy, there are not frequent in our area, but we do get tornadoes. They are usually F0 in this area. We have had some severe tornadoes across the country over the years.

It was a bit ironic when I was coming home from Kansas the first time this summer, my flight was delayed as there was tornado warnings at home. Go figure, I was prepared in the event of a tornado whilein Kansas. Only sunny skies there.

KarenC
September 22nd, 2018, 09:23 AM
Suzanne, glad to hear you and your family are safe. Hope all of our other forum friends in Canada are safe.
Yesterday was a full day of driving. Made it to Kansas City. Will get to birthday bash today. This will be my first time attending. So glad to see the dd. I think i'll get that Lil iron.

Bubby
September 22nd, 2018, 09:41 AM
Good Morning...Suzanne, glad to hear you're okay. Tornadoes are awful. We had a major one 5-9-09 that ripped 180 trees out of the ground by the roots and threw them around like Pixie Stix. We had an awful mess to deal with.

It's been raining since last night, real slow good rain. Jeff is going to the apartments to look at an A/C unit that's not working. The Girls and I will stay home. I will mix up a meatloaf to bake later. I have the last load of laundry in the dryer and I should have some free time later Today would be a good day to nap off and on all day....I hope the Girls do just that.

No news from our little corner of Missouri. Wishing everyone a good Saturday.

KPH
September 22nd, 2018, 09:47 AM
Good Morning All,
Suzanne, I'm glad you and yours are safe. Tornadoes are definitely nothing to mess around with! In the blink of an eye, so much destruction, then the long process of rebuilding.

Howard was really lucky during one tornado in IN. He'd been going to school and working for 3 days straight. He came home and crashed. According to him, he fell into bed and by the time his head hit the pillow he was asleep. Anyway, during the night the warnings went out, Dot tried to wake him. Joe and Chuck tried to wake him. He didn't stir, move or respond. Finally Dot got the other two kids and went to the basement to wait it out. The tornado hit the house directly across the street, jumped over Dot's house and came back down at her back fence, crossed the highway, and continued through the cornfield. He never heard a thing and didn't believe it when he finally got up, until he went out to get in his car to go back to work.

Yesterday was pretty busy, and last night I couldn't get my brain to cut off. The eye doctor said I would qualify for a seeing eye dog, and I was really excited. Last night, Jim started researching organizations. There's one that will come to the house to train me to handle the dog. They only work with German Shepherds. Then when I was trying to go to sleep, my brain was in overdrive. What would having a dog do to my allergies? They're acting a fool with just the dust and pollen, would I be courting more trouble with my head? So there wasn't a lot of sleeping going on, trying to figure out what would be the best thing for me to do. Maybe when I get in touch with them, they'll have some insight as to what would be best for me to do.

The last day of Quiltfest is today. Mike said he would take me and I'm nervous about being in a big crowd! With my lack of much of a field of vision, people appear out of no where, and startle me. lol, I'll never forget bumping into a lady in Walmart, I honestly didn't see her. She punched me! I apologized and told her I didn't see her but she was still pissed with me.

Tomorrow is picture day at church. This year, they're doing individual pictures. I guess I'll be breaking another camera! lol Anyway, they're going to have a name tag process for the children's Sunday School building. I think it's a good idea for security as the church is growing and they really do want to keep the kiddos safe.

Prayers for those in need, for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers for those in natures' path, it's been a busy year with fires, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Cathy F
September 22nd, 2018, 09:52 AM
Suzanne, glad to hear you and your family are safe. Hope all of our other forum friends in Canada are safe.
Yesterday was a full day of driving. Made it to Kansas City. Will get to birthday bash today. This will be my first time attending. So glad to see the dd. I think i'll get that Lil iron.

That little ironis great! Igotitwhen it was a DD last year and love it.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 22nd, 2018, 10:15 AM

Oh, so much fun. I am certain you will enjoy yourself. You can pick up the DD in the main store, so no need to wait for it to be shipped.

baslp
September 22nd, 2018, 10:25 AM
Good morn. Suzann., Glad to hear you and your family are safe. I know that I couldn’t live in tornado alley . We has a small tornado go through our small borough. I was blow drying my hair and just noticed the wind picking up. I was surprised to see the damage.

I hope to get my DD bedroom cleaned out so it can be painted. I want it to become my scrapbooking room. I like sewing in our dining room, so I can multi-task.
Have a good day
Beth

LauraP
September 22nd, 2018, 01:04 PM
So far, knock on wood, we haven't had a tornado close to us. My husband remembers one taking a barn down in '69. Of course, we live in the hilly part of Kansas.

Tonight is girls night out and they requested a pineapple upside down cake so I got that and a lemon cake for my honey baked last night. Yum! The house smelled so good.

Finally got the appliques done for my baby quilt. My new machine does a super job of satin stitching. Now to sew the jelly roll strips and get it off my list.

Mother Nature must have looked at the calendar. It was COLD last night for the first time in a long time. Transplanting more daylilies today.

JCY
September 22nd, 2018, 11:00 PM
Suzanne ~ The video of your tornado was on the NBC Nightly News this eve. That was one bad storm. Growing up in Mich., we had various tornado warnings. I used to live in Lansing. On the eve. of my mom's surprise BD party, my bro. took her for a ride in the car while friends gathered at the house to surprise her. They saw a very strange cloud in the sky. Later that night a bad tornado went through Flint. A few days later, we drove there to look at the devastation. It's amazing the power of the wind. Tornados aren't that common along the Front Range here in CO, but the eastern plains gets them. Of course, Kansas & Okla. are just next door.