PDA

View Full Version : Judy ~ An Update on storm damage in your town?

JCY
September 20th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Hi, Judy ~ Just wondering how things are in your town now? I saw you made some posts today related to retreat. I talked with a friend today who has a grandson in the Marines at Camp Lejeune. He & his wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, & pet rabbit are in a motel & can't return to their home till the 24th. The power still is off, so they will have lost everything in their frig. & freezer. The gov't. is giving them $35./day. I don't know if their house was flooded.

How bad is the damage to your house? Any clues as to when you'll get power? I hope you're hanging in there.

Judy, USMC
September 21st, 2018, 12:59 AM
Joy - Glad to share what I know. I got power yesterday around 7pm; it was turned off last Wednesday at 7pm so 6 solid days no power. Almost every house in this neighborhood suffered damaged roofs. Since our subdivision is named RegalWoods the damage came from trees or wind. I have roof damage with a bit of interior ceiling damage. Maybe 6 houses here had water in the house ... but they are at the bottom of my hill. Many more had flooding at lower elevations closer to the river & tributaries. Lot's of people lost all the food in their refrigerators because of no electric. I had eaten most of my perishables in the days leading up to it when it was forming. My personal advice would be to find out from his immediate command to get their advice.

Camp Lejeune has a FB page. [6:40 PM Sept 20] All housing developments are now up on power and holding strong with the exception of about 15 homes which remain without power in Berkeley Manor due to a downed tree on power lines. The tree is being cut and lines being rerun now.

General information: All gates are operating normal hours except Piney Green which will re-open Monday. Commissary is open as are the convenience stores. Trash removal is back to normal. Tree debris collection is ongoing. Base schools re-open Tuesday. Chow Halls are open to all dependents and Military receiving COMRATS. Normal fees apply with reduced rates for E4 and below.

Not too much coming out in the way of home damages. I know there are a lot of trees down. It appears that what is happening here in town is typical of what is happening on base. As far as info for him ... he needs to keep up with his command for instructions and advice. If he needs to know about his home his command should be able to help him. I know some of them are banding together to support one another even if they live out in town.

And I'm sure the $35 is supplemental to the housing allowance he is already receiving. Adjustments may be made. After it's over I'm sure a grant system will be available. Non-perishable food donations are being distributed on base. Again, his command should have info.

grammaterry
September 21st, 2018, 10:10 AM
Judy, that was a very nice and helpful reply for anyone who has loveones there.

Navy Wife
September 21st, 2018, 02:49 PM
So glad to hear you are back in touch. Being without power is one of the hardest things about storms. I don't handle heat very well, so I would be a basket case after 6 days! This has really been a storm. I have friends close to Wilmington that I just heard from. Their house flooded, next door didn't. Welcome aboard again! Hoping for fair winds and following seas!

Linda