PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday!

JCY
September 20th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I only have a min. Time to fix DH's breakfast & get the bread started. I'll be making his spelt bread today.

Yest. it was good to get back to Bible Study. Afterwards I grabbed my usual quick lunch at Wendy's, then on to Walmart for several items. They're in the middle of remodeling the store, so just about everything was in a different spot & I had to hunt for it or ask someone where it was. Frustrating. Made a 2nd stop at Sprouts for a few items.

Even though only 80's were forecast for yest., it got up to 90 deg. at our house. The clouds moved in during the p.m. We got a few sprinkles, but no steady rain. I'm looking forward to the cooler temps.

I hope everyone has a good day.

grammaterry
September 20th, 2018, 09:44 AM
the new used machine arrived last night Fed Ex about 8pm. I took it out and plugged it in. Perfect straight stitch. BUT....it doesn't do any of the basic decorative stitches like zig zag. The needle does not goe side to side. It has the same problem the one I already own has. Now, I emailed the seller and told him (before I bought it I asked him to check to make sure that the zig zag worked and he said the machine worked properly). He has offered me $75 to keep it or I can return it. I paid $179 plus $35 shipping. I will have to pay $35 to ship it back. What would you do?

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 20th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Good morning Joy and all who will follow,

Yesterday, I had my follow up doctor's appointment. Good news, I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, but I do have arthritis in my joints. Fortunately, my bones are ok for now, and the nodules are not bony structure so may diminish. I will add Arthritis Tylenol to my drug cocktail of either Advil or Naproxen. If it doesn't improve, she may prescribe Lyrica. I guess when it's bad, I should take breaks to not make things worse. That is going to be hard to do. I suppose this is why many Canadians escape to dry heat in the winter. I will explore foods that may be triggering this. My doctor understands my priority and life passion to quilt til I die.

I read our Sailing Club newsletter and I am still in shock. One of the Race Officers died suddenly on Monday. He was only 61. As I was 1 of 6 race officers a few years ago, we interacted a lot with Mario. Like me, he was one of the few bilingual RO, so he was often presented with opportunities to travel to national and international regattas. He was married but never had children, but he was a passionate and patient teacher. He retired last year and we spoke a lot about the times he would enjoy. I don't know what happened. The club is flying the flags at half mast. As he was well known at all the clubs in the region, I suspect there will be a large memorial. This is 3 friends in my age group to die recently, and not easy to take.

My DIL's mom had heart surgery yesterday to unblock 2 arteries. I have not heard how she is doing, except that they could not do the short version of the procedure. Luckily her sister came from Lebabon to take care of her. She is 60, and DIL is a mess. She relies heavily on her mom for help with the kids, but not much help as she delivered our grandson 3 weeks ago by c-section. Her DH dropped by with the baby yesterday. Prayers for her speedy recovery.

It's overcast and sprinkling today. Chores are done, so I will just go sew today. Have a good day, whatever way you spend it.

p.s. I love the MSQC memories videos that have been on the DD page, and the new MSQC fabric line released for 10th anniversary. Happy birthday and may you live a long time.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 20th, 2018, 09:49 AM
the new used machine arrived last night Fed Ex about 8pm. I took it out and plugged it in. Perfect straight stitch. BUT....it doesn't do any of the basic decorative stitches like zig zag. The needle does not goe side to side. It has the same problem the one I already own has. Now, I emailed the seller and told him (before I bought it I asked him to check to make sure that the zig zag worked and he said the machine worked properly). He has offered me $75 to keep it or I can return it. I paid $179 plus $35 shipping. I will have to pay $35 to ship it back. What would you do?

That's a tough one. Since you wanted that feature, it may not be of much use. Of course, you do sew a lot, and it might be a good backup and you could have two quilts loaded at the same time. You might just consider it as a spare part machine in case your other one needs repairs. I would keep it.

Cathy F
September 20th, 2018, 09:54 AM
If it doesn't sew the stitches you want I would ship it back to him and get my money back, no sense having two machines that don't function to your needs. Sounds like he doesn't know how to use the machine to know those stitches didn't work or mis represented the condition of the working of it.

baslp
September 20th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Good morning. I started my morning with a call to the animal poison control. Our springer spaniel found a small bag of organic plant food I had left on a counter. I wanted to return it to Lowe’s. At least 3 dogs licked up some. They said that we could just watch them - no need to go to the ER at a local animal hospital. It is well worth the $65 they charge for the consult. I plan on sewing some more rows on my quilt. I have a dr. Appt. this afternoon. The clouds are back. Temps near 80.
Terry- I would send it back to him.

Have a great day — Beth

Carolnnc
September 20th, 2018, 10:32 AM

I would write him & save a copy of the email, making sure you include that you specifically asked before the sale if the machine zigzagged and he stated that the machine would. I would let him know I was returning the machine and request he refund the money plus shipping in exchange for you not writing a review on his page/website since that could affect his sales.

I am now dealing with getting the little things fixed before the house goes on the market. The plumber came the end of last week & replaced all the faucets. The HVAC guy came yesterday to replace the fan in the air conditioner, added freon & cleaned the drain pipe. Monday the electrician will come to fix a couple of light switches & hopefully the ceiling fan. I'm hoping someone can come out Monday afternoon to look at the garage door opener. I can't find anyone to paint the flashing under the eaves. My brother asked why I was paying a plumber, electrician & repair person for the garage door opener since I was capable of doing what I'm paying them to fix. He didn't seem to get that I am utterly exhausted by trying to get everything done with no help from DH. I like to think in my old age I'm finally smart enough to know when to ask (and pay) for help.

I've started work on a lap quilt & will work on that today. I'm thinking it will be a gift for my neighbor. I have a Christmas quilt kit that I will work on next. It may be my favorite of all I've made when it's finished (I love Christmas).

Hope everyone has a great day.

Sandy Navas
September 20th, 2018, 10:34 AM
And charge him for the return fee after you get your money back. Good luck.

Mimi_Howard
September 20th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Joy.. I know the frustration, recently our local grocery store decided to just rearrange (no remodel) and it is no longer a zip zip down the aisles. They moved some items clear across the other side of the store. Back to reading those darn signs to see what is in the aisle now.

Terry.. is this machine exactly like your old one, like would it have the part the old one needs, putting the parts of the two machines together to make one good reliable one? Is the straight stitch a solid working feature? You could use it for the piecing/binding parts of quilts and save wear and tear on motor of your newly fixed one... might be a good backup in a pinch? I think this is one of those Good News / Bad News things, going back n forth and forth n back.

I am waiting on my daughter to send dimensions on bag(s) to sew for putting first aid supplies in for her daughters school. Each room is equipped with first aid kits but they need small portable ones for when they go to their park outings. Looks like I may be doing 5 of them. Crossbody type totes. I have denim in the sewing room that is jumping for joy, probably have to make a quick run to Joanns for heavier duty zippers. My daughter is doing the paperwork (spread sheets and such) for the school to help reduce the tutition costs, this is a specialty school and 2 weeks or so into the school year and the grand daughter is in love with school (kindergarten).. getting her out of her shell... if my sewing can also help ease the tutition, I am all in!

Oh yeah... Terry... when is the cut off for getting quilts to you for Shriners?

MissMay
September 20th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Wonderful Morning, so cool, sunny and NO RAIN! One bright spot was that we hardly had to water the grass all summer.

No sewing today as on the dining room table I have a mess of laundry to be folded and put away as well as my fall wreath that needs some repair. Plenty of miscellaneous items my DH put there because he said he doesn't know where they go, that really means he doesn't want to be bothered with them. Need the table cleared off as I'm expecting a visit from my sister this weekend. Going to farm market later to pick up some fresh veggies for lunch when she comes, zucchini pie (really a casserole), roasted peppers, juicy Jersey tomatoes and a green salad. Will ask Sis to being some Brooklyn Italian bread to top off our lunch. My mouth is watering already.155149

KarenC
September 20th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Good morning all.
Terry, I would be so frustrated and very disappointed. Amazing how he wants to refund part of the money and let you keep it. If it were me, I'd send it back for a full refund including return shipping. He knew that it didn't work when he sent it. Just my opinion.

Suzanne, I have regular arthritis also. I had to learn to change some activities. I used to walk half marathons. I love the togetherness with my walking buddies and the thrill of crossing the finish line, but just can't push it that far. So I have decided to train for 10Ks instead. Only half the distance and still meet up with the others for breakfast. Take care of the body that you have so that it will last.

I need to get moving and head over to my WW meeting. Then it's time to pack for my trip tomorrow.

Simply Quilting
September 20th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Good Morning! Joy, I so understand the frustration of rearranging stores. A while back the local grocery store redid the store. Not just rearranging items but literally took the aisles apart. Now instead of full aisles, there are half aisles with palates and displays in the middle of what use to be the long section of aisles. This cut down on the amount of shelving and has made the store a confusing mess. The biggest perk to the store is the on-line shopping which many people use from busy parents to the elderly use.

It is going to be a hot one today. The temperatures in the mid 90s and the heat index is forecast to be 103 degrees. This should be the last of the very hot weather but then again it is Missouri so anything is possible. Tomorrow is a totally different story as the high is suppose to only be 69 degrees. Tomorrow's weather will be perfect for the birthday bash.

My mom's hummingbird feeder is very busy today. The feeder is where I can sit at the table and see the birds come and go. Earlier today there were at least 7 of them. Currently, there are 4 of them drinking.

Have a good Thursday everyone :)

Ginny B
September 20th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Good afternoon all. I slept in this morning. For some reason I was still pretty tired when dh got up for work so I decided to stay in bed for a little bit longer. The next thing I knew was that it was 8 o'clock! I had breakfast and then I tackled the shampooing of the rest of the living room. I had done about 1/4 of it the other day just to get the feel for the new shampooer. Yesterday my son and my son-in-law came over and took the sofa from the den and put it out at the curb for the bulk pick up and then moved the sofa from the living room into the den to replace the other one. So, that meant that there were only smaller pieces of furniture left for me to move around so that I could get the rest of the room done. It is a large room 15 x 15 so it took some time. Now, I need to get that phone call giving me the date for my new furniture to be delivered. They said 2-3 weeks and we are coming up on week 3 this weekend so I am getting anxious to get the room set up. We are leaving for Colorado a week from today so we have limited days until then. I need to decide what to pack for the trip too. Summer clothes? Fall items? I am thinking a bit of both.

Terry, that stinks about the machine not doing zig zag when you specifically asked about it. Tough decision about whether to send it back or not. Joy, I don't do the grocery shopping much but when I do, I hate it when things aren't where they were the last time I was there. It takes so much more time to find what you need.

I am supposed to have lunch with Ceil but haven't heard from her yet so I think I'll go give her a call. Have a great day everyone.

KPH
September 20th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Good Afternoon All,

Well, I'm not sure what I'm doing today, mainly waiting on other people. I waited for J to show up. Waited for the window guy to show up to measure the windows. I'm waiting for the painting from Martha that's going to be delivered today. Waiting for the bug guy to come and spray, which means I'm waiting to write a check for that, too.

Zeke came to play while big brother and sister went to a home school morning. It would have been nice to know about that. I wouldn't have fixed the experiments for J. Oh well, Son thinks Morgan tells me stuff, Morgan thinks son tells me stuff and I don't know nothin' cause nobody is actually telling me stuff. Tomorrow is my eye dr. appt., now to see who is actually taking me. Jim said he was, Mike is planning to, I'm just waiting (again).

I was planning to work on cutting batting for the bowl cozies yesterday, but I pulled the too tired card. I took sudafed yesterday afternoon, and that stuff just drains my energy anymore.

Prayers for those in need, prayers for those in nature's path. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Mimi_Howard
September 20th, 2018, 05:58 PM
sorry for the multiple entries showing in "whats new" for the forum, I was having a heck of a time getting that dang picture uploaded.