PDA

View Full Version : experience with phenobarbital for your dog?

grma33
September 17th, 2018, 02:33 PM
our 14 yrold beagle was put on this lowest dose meds for siezure but side effects are crap but was told to stick it out for 10days to 2wks side effects should get better as his body gets use to meds
if he has a brain tumor unfortunaly the meds don`t work good all his vitals are good
anyone experience this drug in thier pet?
Gale

K. McEuen
September 17th, 2018, 04:02 PM
I used to house sit for friends that had a golden retriever with epilepsy that was on that med. She ended up on a relatively strong dose to control her seizures. She was a bit loopy at first but after it was given to her for a little while it evened out.

grma33
September 17th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I used to house sit for friends that had a golden retriever with epilepsy that was on that med. She ended up on a relatively strong dose to control her seizures. She was a bit loopy at first but after it was given to her for a little while it evened out.

Thanks so much for your reply
good to know
Gale

Eriepatch
September 17th, 2018, 06:38 PM
My dog has taken Phenobarbital since last September. Twice a day 30 mg. She has GME (Granulomatous meningoencephalitis) which was diagnosed after a CT and spinal tap to rule out a brain tumor. She does fine with it. Did take some time to adapt but side effects were never awful. Maybe because she was suffering from seizures which of course were much worse than the Pheno.
I would sure stick with it because if you don't he will start having seizures again. Might happen anyway of course. When our dog has seizures again the Vet adds Prednisone which has worse side effects but she doesn't take that for long. I feel for you because seizures are hard to watch. Was a year this month she had her first seizures. She also had once a month chemo shots for 6 months. She has been going about 6 months between seizures. Best to you and your dog.

Midge
September 18th, 2018, 03:09 AM
I had an English Springer Spaniel that had seizures, and after about a year of treatment with potassium bromide solution as a first line treatment his seizures broke through that therapy so phenobarbital had to be added. He did have significant side effects with the phenobarb, but the treatment extended his life for years. Excess thirst and appetite are definitely a problem, and of course they urinate a lot when they drink a lot. My dog learned to open the door on his own so he could go out more. That was both a blessing and a problem! He did sleep when his twice daily doses took effect, and tended to stagger a bit if the level of phenobarb got too high. You must make sure your dog gets the doses every 12 hours as closely as possible because phenobarb will only control the seizures if the blood level of the drug is appropriate. If you skip doses you can actually trigger seizures because of the drop in blood level. There are many other less common side effects too. Hope that doesn't happen with your dog. Good luck!

dwil23
September 18th, 2018, 03:49 AM
I lost my little 15 1/2 yr old chihuahua last month. He had several seizures about four years prior and had been on pheno ever since. He never had another one. We even reduced his dosage from twice a day to once a day. I would say it worked very well for him.

Nwmnteacher
September 18th, 2018, 08:17 AM
We had a cat on pheno for many years....took it twice a day. He had crazy seizures without it. He still had some seizures, but they were greatly reduced.

Jeanne

grma33
September 18th, 2018, 09:57 AM
these post are encouraging thanks all
i was very concerned with the balance as he was fine after vet app
his blood work and heart good so keeping fingers crossed
seems a bit better today
Gale

geegeequilts
September 18th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Make sure your furbaby has liver enzymes checked, Our beloved Cocker Spaniel had seizures & developed major liver issues.

Gina

grma33
September 18th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Make sure your furbaby has liver enzymes checked, Our beloved Cocker Spaniel had seizures & developed major liver issues.

Gina
yes i know it can affect the liver but at 14 its better than seizure
he`s been on a liver vitamin for years his blood was checked its good but i know over time it can affect just praying to get a little more time
Gale