PDA

View Full Version : Sunday - Sunday!

JCY
September 16th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I'm still following the hurricane (now tropical storm) news as folks are drenched in rain & dealing with flooding. I just read that everyone living within 1 mi. of the banks of one of those rivers is to evacuate. That's a lot of folks in peril. Terry, are you getting rain at your place? I hope your driveway doesn't wash out. People are being warned to stay off the roads & highways.

I didn't make it to the sewing room yest. Instead I did some much needed house cleaning. It was another hot day; it made it up to 97 deg. Three more days of 90's, then we'll have a cooling trend. It's been a hot Sept. Hard to believe Fall officially arrives next week end. The aspens in the mts. already are turning. Leaf peeping has begun.

No more sign of the raccoons. I sprinkled some moth crystals out by the opening under the shed. It's really not a very large opening. How those coons could squeeze under there is amazing.

This a.m. it will be church. Maybe I can get some sewing done today.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 16th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Good morning Joy and all who follow,

Another beautiful, hot and sunny day. Humidity is harder to enjoy. It really is hard to believe how summer is stretching into the fall for us. Enjoying it while we can, as you never know how it will be the last part of the year. We could have it mild, or we could be buried in 3' of snow.

Yesterday we went back to the LQS. DH bought the baby quilt kit with elephants to make for the newest grandson. I bought some navy blue batik to go with a quilt I am planning. All was 25% off, and DH's flannel quilt backing was 55% off from the discount area. DH was productive. He washed both our cars and a large area rug in our front hall. He has a stiff back today, so the jury is out whether he will go gliding today.

I also went to a store opening, which sells Husquarvanas and will offer classes. The owner was part owner at another store that closed this summer. Half the store was a wool shop and the other half sold Husquarvanas. It's small, but the location is much closer and better parking. I then worked on a Victoria quilt. It is a totally scrappy set on point. I'm getting it done, but I really do not like the fabric combinations. Too busy, too many patterns and mixtures of fabrics. I think this may be my clue to offer assistance in putting the fabric selections together. I do not think this would be a good pattern for our ladies. You really need a design wall or table and they haven't done much set on point quilts. I might use the pattern for a collection of my fabrics I have been gathering.

Today I hope to sew some more, as I need to finish some alterations and cushions and quilt for my girlfriend. I am getting back my Git 'her done attitude. Now if my aching fingers and joints can give me a break. Not much planned, staying put.

I have been watching the weather channel. Florence is moving slow, but still seems to be packing a punch. I don't think I would have tried to ride it out if close to shore. We are seeing rescues that could have been avoided. Sending positive thoughts for all to be safe and for those on duty sending biggest thanks and continued strength.

Have a good day. Stay dry. Stay cool. Be safe.

grammaterry
September 16th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Joy, the driveway should be fine. We had 5 truckloads (big 18 wheeler loads) of gravel put out there last week not because of the hurricane but because we hadn't done it for 10 years. It was good to get it done. The rain is not heavy yet. It is a fine misty rain right now. I think this is the outter rim coming in this am. It is suppose to rain all day

Claire Hallman
September 16th, 2018, 10:19 AM
My quilting room is in turmoil but it is clean. I bought a Juki sit down long arm in Paducah and brought it home Friday. We didn't get home until late so it stayed in the car in the garage until yesterday morning. Yesterday we struggled with it and finally got it in the room but it is going to involve cutting some cabinets and countertops before everything is in place. Having to pull out the existing furniture showed how much dust had accumulated so the vac got a work out, too.
Those long arm tables are major heavy.:o
I won't be able to do anything with it for a while since we are headed to the beach today, I will have lots of time to think about it.:D

baslp
September 16th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Good morning. We are heading up to 83 today. Hopefully the sun will stay out all day. We are suppose to get rain Monday night and Tuesday. Compliments of Florence. I did not make it to the sewing store yesterday. I plan on going today. I need more backing fabric. I want to also get a few more sashing sewed to my rows.

Beth

MissMay
September 16th, 2018, 10:47 AM
155105Enjoying the Fall weather. sunny, cool, low humidity & no Rain! Not much sewing done lately but hope to get some things sewn this coming week. 2 more Bday cards to get sent, these 2, my sis Carol & 18 yr old grandson Ben will get their cards before their special days. 3 other family members with Bdays this month got their's a little late. Can't believe my sister will be 69. I was a freshman in high school when she was born. I was sitting on the front stoop with some friends in the early evening and my mother and father came out with mother carrying a little suitcase, she told me I was in charge until she came home with the new baby. First I had heard of a new baby. I did pretty good for a 13 year old although some of the meals weren't too great, no Take Out in those days.

DGD Christine, DH and 2 boys, 2 1/2 yr old & 6 month old, flew to The Netherlands yesterday and they should be there about 2 years or so. They are excited but anxious for the new lifestyle but I'm sure they will settle in nicely. Next week 2 1/2 yr old starts preschool 3 days a week and the 6 month old is a jolly baby so they'll adjust quickly.

cv quilter
September 16th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Claire, super exciting about your Juki Sit Down LA.! What size is the foot print of your new baby?

Ginny B
September 16th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Good morning everyone. It's nice and sunny here today. Not sure what our plans are for today but I hope to include some time outside. Yesterday was a busy day. Started out with Henry's t-ball game then off to the STOP drop off to get rid of a bunch of old paint. We also had a printer but they said they weren't taking electronics. Sigh so it's back in the garage. Then we stopped at Ace hardware on the way back for a couple of things. When we got home we tackled getting the mattress from the sofa bed into the plastic bag (that was a real wrestling match). After that we moved a couple things around in the living room and then we headed to the kitchen where we worked on some of our produce. DH roasted some red peppers and cut up our banana peppers. Then he helped me can another 6 jars of bread and butter pickles. We had a bumper crop of Kirby cukes this year. After cleaning up, I was done. Rest of the day/evening was just relaxing time.

Claire, how exciting about your new machine. If I were to get a longarm, it would definitely need to be a sit down one. Send pictures when you get it set up.

Ok, dh is asking what we should do today so I guess we will go make some decisions. Have a good day everyone. Be safe all those dealing with Florence.

KarenC
September 16th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Wow, sounds like a lot of business. Well, I finally feel like I may actually do something besides sleep. The med from yesterday are really good helping, especially with the pinkeye. I only managed 15 minutes yesterday to sew additional backing on quilt and then reload it before my energy was sapped. Hopefully, I can make it in there and quilt the last 2 rows today. I'd also lIke to get out of the house, even if only for the grocery store. Did manage to watch some of the LSU game yesterday. Good job Tigers, but what a nailbiter. Praying for all those in need at this time, and thankfulness for all our man y blessings.

Carlie Wolf
September 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM
I did pretty well at the Craft Fair yesterday. Made about as much as last year although naturally I was hoping for more. We always hope for more don't we LOL. The day was beautiful. I'm suffering today from sitting in those folding chairs all day yesterday. That will take a day or two to work it's way out..it always does.

They're expecting some thunderstorm, rain and breezy tomorrow. The ground is pretty saturated from all the rain we've gotten lately.

JulieC
September 16th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Happy Sunday, Everyone!

I'm late posting, it's already Sunday afternoon and the Browns are leading the Saints 6 to 3. I'm going outside in a couple of minutes to mow the backyard -- I mowed the front yard a couple of days ago. Then I need to run up to the grocery store and over to Mom's.

Mom has a new caregiver coming out tomorrow, the first one got a job at a nursing home; her last day was Thursday. Mom had just warmed up to her, I hope this one will be around a while.

It was a rough week at work, I really wish I could vent here but as this is a public forum I have to be careful. I keep reminding myself that a bad day at this job would be a good day at my old one.

I have all the fabric cut out for my Christmas wall-hanging, the pieces are on my design wall and I'm happy with the layout. I took a picture in case it falls down before I'm done mowing the grass. Now I need to find the time to sew!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Simply Quilting
September 16th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Good afternoon! Not much going on around here except laundry and working on getting things packed for the retreat. With everything going on this week, there will not be much time to get the children packed and myself packed this week. I am so excited for the retreat. I think that I am taking way too much to work on but with an extra day this year that should help get more done plus some of the projects should be fairly easy to get done quickly.

Prayers for those in need and who are dealing with issues from the weather.

Have a great Sunday everyone :)

KPH
September 16th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Good afternoons all,

Everyone is so busy. I went to church this morning with the family. Was invited to small group, but I don't drive. The lady suggested I try Lyft. I don't know, with the horror stories about Uber, I'm not so sure I want all that information in my phone. I'll have to get over my fear of it first.

I finished Hope's quilt last night and found a pretty butterfly print for the backing. Once it comes in, I'll make a trip to Palm Tree Long Arm quilting and drop it off. A lady at church stopped me today and asked if I'd do the quilt tops that her grandmother had made. I told her to take them to Palm Tree and talk to them. I don't have room to lay out a bed sized quilt here not to mention that my feed dogs are stuck in the up position, so no free motion happening here!

Tomorrow starts home school in earnest. Morgan is working tonight, so I'll have the little ones Monday and Tuesday, then J on Wednesday and Thursday.

I hope everyone in Florence's path are staying safe. Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

KarenC
September 16th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Just popping in to say it feels SO GOOD to be out in the world again. Just finished a few errands with DS and came home and put dinner cooking. You forget how good normal chores can be.

Claire Hallman
September 16th, 2018, 06:56 PM
The new machine has a 19" throat, it will be a dream since I have been using one with about 10". The table is about 30" deep which is great, about the same depth as my old counter. The counter will need to be cut in width but not sure how much yet. Once cut it can't be put back together so I need to make certain the arrangement works.
I need to sit at the machine and work a while to make sure the height is good with my chair, we can adjust the table a little if needed.

KPH
September 16th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Claire, that's so exciting! I can just dream of my old sewing room. When Mike moves out (one day) My sewing room is moving to that room! The boys won't be happy, they had to take the door and framing off to get the desk in there!

cv quilter
September 16th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Katrina, it's ALWAYS fun and wonderful to dream of the day we can do what we want to do. Hoping your day will come soon and that you will have the sewing room/area you have dreamed of and deserve.