PDA

View Full Version : Changing Forecast about Hurricane Florence

Judy, USMC
September 13th, 2018, 03:39 AM
As the storm approaches it has decreased from a Category 4 to a 2. Landfall has moved 50 miles further south to Wilmington, NC, ... and some models even put it further south into the Myrtle Beach SC area. Winds have decreased from 140 to 110. So there are more areas under the potential wind and storm surge threat now along the Eastern coast.

Addressing my personal situation is simple. I will lose power - always do during hurricanes and nor'easters - nothing unusual. Bought the generator years ago (will only run computer on battery power to prevent computer damage.) If there were even a hint of flooding danger in my neighborhood I would have left. But I am at the top of a hill. In fact the end of the road at the end of my street and even the neighbors behind me are 35ft below my lot level. Stocked up with plenty of non perishable food & water (bathtub and every sink is full.) 2 neighbors have grills. Camp Lejeune is between my house and the ocean and they are opening on base shelters but not evacuating any families. Carol in Durham will feel the rain and wind effects but hopefully it's a better outlook for her too.

Now is the time to join me and pray and think good thoughts for those along the southern NC shoreline and barrier islands along with the entire SC shore. They will face the strong winds and rain inundation resulting in flooding. For those who evacuated it may be a long time for the roads leading back to home to dry out. I expect the interstates will be flooded for quite a few days in both of the Carolinas.

If you are a forum member in this affected area please keep us updated on your status. I have a forum friend who will post for me. Thanks for the good thoughts!

dwil23
September 13th, 2018, 04:13 AM
Sounds like you are as prepared as possible. It's true, you never know exactly where these things will go. Stay safe and prayers for all in harm's way.

Star lover
September 13th, 2018, 07:08 AM
So thankful for the downgrade! I'll continue to pray for you and all those affected.......still won't be a walk in the park, even with the downgrade......but much better.

I also heard that it's going to move a lot slower than first predicted, so more rain.

My moms near Fayetteville, NC.......

Ginny B
September 13th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Be safe Judy. Prayers for all those in the storm's path.

Iris Girl
September 13th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Be safe all in the storm's path

Sandy Navas
September 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM
I keep blowing hot air in your direction, hoping I have enough to keep that baby out to sea, slow her down, and turn her inside out and upside down. Hugs, Judy!!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 13th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the update. You and everyone affected are in my thoughts. We are following on weather and news channels.

Be careful, be safe.

KPH
September 13th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Judy, I'm thrilled with the shifts and changes from over night.

Jerrod called yesterday afternoon. His room mate hasn't been in the Charlotte area long enough to know about these things. They closed schools in Charlotte for Thursday and Friday as many of the larger schools are being used as shelters. So his room mate was ready to bug out. Jerrod was like, Katrina- what do you think? That map keeps changing but in my heart, I think it's going to be a windy rain event in Gaston Co.

I still have lots of friends and family all over NC and SC, so my thoughts and prayers are with them as they are with all the the residents in the path of Flo. She's still fierce and covering lots of territory.

Be safe.

azmotogirl
September 13th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Continued thoughts and prayers for you and all others in harms way..... please stay safe!!

kimsophia
September 13th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Whew. That sounds a lot better than a 140 mph eyewall going right over your house! :P

grammaterry
September 13th, 2018, 09:56 AM
We watched the change last night and it does look better. It might even just slow way down and become a pffft! DH is relieved. We have children in Winston-Salem, NC and all across the upstate of SC and S. VA. No matter which direction it goes, we will worry but now that it has slowed, there is some relief. So glad for you Judy. BIL is going to ride it out on the OBX at Nagshead.

Carolnnc
September 13th, 2018, 09:59 AM
We are looking for high winds & lots of rain here. It's rained quite a bit lately so with the ground saturation trees will come down. They are predicting 3 million will be without power for weeks.

As a mini prepper I have stores of non-perishables but am going out today for some fresh foods like fruit and veggies. I love raw corn so I hoping to get that, some carrots & celery. I pulled a large bag of walnuts out of the freezer, grabbed a bag of chocolate mini morsels, some dried fruit & oatmeal out of the pantry & made trail mix.

I have our go bags ready in case a tree or trees come down on the house. I have the key to the neighbors house so I can go over there if it's safe (he's in Maryland & worrying).

Luckily we have bottled water & 6 rain barrels. I have clorox in case we have to drink the water from the barrels. I'm not counting on city water continuing to flow if it gets really bad. I actually have a 5 gallon bucket, trash can liners & kitty litter in case we have to resort to an outdoor potty:(

Everyone who has laughed at my (what they consider kooky) preparedness tendencies aren't so amused at this point. They've been standing in long lines for supplies while I have worked on a quilt.

The only worry I have with no power for a week is being with DH. He's a city boy & can get whiny if it gets hot & there's no ice for the sweet tea. When Floyd & Fran came through we were without power for about five days both time & he drove me nuts. Our next (and last home) will have a whole house generator.

I'm praying for all of us in North & South Carolina. I am so blessed that all my family that lives at the coast came this way. My DD's hubby was raised at the beach & I was worried they would stay down there & try to ride it out. I think we are in for a really bad one this time.

Our local tv station just showed some idiot at Nag's Head who is kite surfing is an already extremely rough ocean!

EsGrandma
September 13th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Many prayers for you all -

Navy Wife
September 13th, 2018, 10:09 AM
So glad this monster has calmed down some. Having been stationed in south Texas, Florida and Japan, I have weathered a few of these storms. They are so unpredictable that I have always left, but I had kids in those days. You are still in my prayers, Judy. I hope all goes well for you and the many others who have chosen to stay in place.

Carlie Wolf
September 13th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I'm glad you're well prepped Carol. I'm one of those "better safe then sorry" people too. I think it comes from being raised on the shore. Ironically the worst annoying time was when I lived up in Vermont. I can't remember why but we lost power for over a week and by the third day it was not being able to shower that got to me the most! I wasn't into prepping back then either. After living in Canada totally off grid, no cell service or computer hook ups I really learned a lot. I actually enjoyed reading and learning about how things were done before the invention of electricity! It's a shame schools don't offer courses in that stuff because we rely so heavily on technology these day.

auntiemern
September 13th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the update. So glad it has been downgraded. Stay as safe as you can. Hugs and prayers friend. Also praying for all in the path of this storm.

jjkaiser
September 13th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Glad it will not be as extreme as originally predicted. You all sound ready for just about anything! We will all be thinking of you with every weather report. Hope you and your families will be alright.

chelea
September 14th, 2018, 12:38 AM
The forecasters have said the wind speed has decreased but that's only a small part of the story. This storm has a very big surface area and it will slow down significantly. Which means we'll be deluged with rain and lots of dangerous flooding, including way inland via rivers and creeks. Still a very dangerous storm and no one should let their guard down just yet.

Andrea F
September 14th, 2018, 03:26 AM
Sending hugs and good thoughts to you and everyone else effected. Stay safe!

lots2do
September 14th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Hoping for the best case scenarios for you all. Just saw news coverage at Camp Leguene where they've lost power. Thinking of Kirsta the owner of All About Quilting in Jacksonville, NC. We stopped at her shop last fall and really enjoyed our time with her.

auntiemern
September 14th, 2018, 03:43 PM
The winds have slowed...not the amount of water that will be coming down. Flooding is going to be the biggest issue for everyone...People get so focused on the category, that they forget about the 'entire' outlook, and potential damages caused by rain and flooding. This will still be a devastating event for those in its path.
Continued prayers for all of you in its path.

seaturtle
September 14th, 2018, 03:48 PM
I posted this in a separate thread, but for those who may have missed it, I just received this text message from Judy:

"Weathered the storm. Waiting on electricity. Glad I stayed to clean my area and deal with the house. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!"

She is safe and there hasn't been any flooding at her house at this point!