PDA

View Full Version : I'm under a serious Hurricane threat from Florence ...

Judy, USMC
September 11th, 2018, 02:27 PM
PLEASE think good thoughts for me. I've been through 5 hurricanes & 3 typhoons. Never a category 4. I'm already prepared with everything I need to hunker down. I'm on a 35ft hill so no fear of flooding ... and enough food/ water/ gas for the generator. But the path is so close. 140 mph at the eyewall is unimaginable to go through. Time for some serious decisions to be made. If you are a prayer warrior please include me.

On a lighter note my machines are already in the van if I decide to head out!

KPH
September 11th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Lifting prayers now and will continue to lift prayers for friends and family in NC.

Mimi_Howard
September 11th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Add me to the warrior squad. Please don't hesitate to leave if there is doubt for your safety.

MRoy
September 11th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I'll be praying for you. Don't take any chances or cut it too close to head for safety.

Mischiefkat1
September 11th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Judy, you as well as every one else in harms way are in my prayers. Lost my house to Charlie and my roof to Irma. Know exactly what this is all about. Safe travel for you and everyone who decides to evacuate. prayers & blessings to all. Kathy

auntiemern
September 11th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Hugs and prayers for sure...I am so worried about you...please do whatever it is that will keep you the safest. I understand that USMC mentality, but please my very df...stay safe, above all else.

Suzette
September 11th, 2018, 03:24 PM
My prayers are with you. We are inland SC, but still in for some wild weather after landfall. I am keeping everyone who is in this monster's path in my prayers.

Caroline T.
September 11th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Be safe Judy! You and all our forum friends on the East coast will be in our thoughts and prayers.

I have family in South Carolina as well as Virginia Beach, so if this storm stays on path, they should be OK, but as we who have been thru many hurricanes, these storms can turn with little warning, so I'll be watching it closely and praying for all to get thru it safely.

Doloris
September 11th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I say head for Chicago and return after the retreat. Nothing you do there will change the outcome and you will be safe. We all worry about you and everyone else on the east coast. This is gonna be a bad one. Good luck whatever you do

Judy, USMC
September 11th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I thought of that Dolores - but there's a protective mentality that sets in. If I were in an area prone to flooding I'd be long gone. I've lived in the field with no electricity for extended periods. I've completely set up and prepared to weather through this. But if I left I wouldn't know what's going on. If there was damage to the house there's no one to protect/repair it. There would be no way of knowing if I had to report it. This house has survived a Cat 3 (Fran in '96) and several smaller ones. FOR ME - would just feel better to miss a retreat if needed than to live in Limbo. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Fingers crossed.

Doloris
September 11th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I thought of that Dolores - but there's a protective mentality that sets in. If I were in an area prone to flooding I'd be long gone. I've lived in the field with no electricity for extended periods. I've completely set up and prepared to weather through this. But if I left I wouldn't know what's going on. If there was damage to the house there's no one to protect/repair it. There would be no way of knowing if I had to report it. This house has survived a Cat 3 (Fran in '96) and several smaller ones. FOR ME - would just feel better to miss a retreat if needed than to live in Limbo. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Fingers crossed.
i understand the protection mode. Please check in as soon as possible after the storm. Just stay as safe as possible.

Caroline T.
September 11th, 2018, 04:44 PM
But if I left I wouldn't know what's going on. Fingers crossed.

I can totally understand and relate. Being born and raised in Florida, I went thru my share of Hurricanes (even at least one Category 5). But I never stressed out as much during those storms as I did last year when my family, that is still in Florida, went thru Irma. Watching the news from across the country and not knowing how much of what they were reporting was hype and how much was reality was scary. At least when you're there, you can crack open a door and peak outside to see what is really happening in your neck of the woods.

LindaKay75
September 11th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Judy, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Sister lives near Charlotte but this monster is so big it could go far inland. She is prepared. I've been thru many living in south Florida so I know what you're going thru. Sounds like you are as prepared as one can be.

Ginny B
September 11th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Judy, glad you are taking it seriously and are prepared. Stay safe and let us know how you are doing when you get a chance.

Cokie
September 11th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Judy, please stay safe. My prayers are with you and all in the path of this hurricane.

KarenC
September 11th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Prayers definitely for you and everyone else in the path. Please be smart with your decisions and stay safe.

dwil23
September 11th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Leave now if it's not too late.....while you may be safe, you will be uncomfortable for days. If you wait it will take you hours to get anywhere. I have coworkers that decided to evacuate last minute and spent 14 to 16 hours on the road just to make a four hour drive to the state line. Praying for everyone in this monsters way.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 11th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Judy,
Only you can do what you feel is right. It must be a difficult decision to make, and I guess it depends how much of a gambler you are. Do you feel lucky? I hope you are.

In the meantime, I will be keeping you in my thoughts along with all the prayers for everyone's safety. I guess you have a tent or tarps and all what you need to survive if the house is not safe.

Still a day to change your mind.

Tracie T
September 11th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Judy, prayers sent! Take care and Stay Safe!!

pcbatiks
September 11th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Judy, please consider leaving now. Like Donna mentioned, if you wait you could be stuck on the road for hours and hours. We evacuated for Rita to a friend house 2 hours north of us. The drive took 9 hours.

Rita was a Category 3 when it made landfall. It damaged most of the homes in our area which is an about an hour from the coast. In news reports, they said there were so many tornadoes during Rita that the alarm warnings could not keep up. We had several tornado warnings even being at least 3 hours from the coast. The problem with staying to protect your property is that at some point no one will be able to go out to help those that stayed behind during the storm because it will be too dangerous.

You could possibly be without power for a couple of weeks.

Anyone is this area that stayed home during Rita have said they would never do that again.

Be safe.....you will be in our prayers.

azmotogirl
September 11th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Thoughts and prayer headed your way...... I am surprised they haven't done mandatory evacuations for your area. Please be safe and remember property can be replace so don't put your life at risk!

stitching woman
September 11th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Please be safe Judy things can be replaced you can't. Prayers for your safety.

Simply Quilting
September 11th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Praying for you, Judy. Please take care of yourself. Like others have said, things can be replaced but you dear sweet lady are a sweet jewel that can not be replaced.

kimsophia
September 11th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Please go. Please go.

Rhonda K
September 11th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Judy,

Best wishes for you as you go through this decision. It is never an easy one to leave or stay. Prayers for you and your safety.

grammaterry
September 11th, 2018, 08:05 PM
I know you've been thru several but don't take a chance. I remember Andrew and mY dd lived in Homestead FL. Her DH was a native and said they had nothing to worry about, hurricanes were there all the time. It was devastating and we were so frightened for them. I am frightened for you too. My bil lives at Nagshead and plans to stay. We have contacted his adult children offered them a place to come to, although my DH is starting to panic over the big trees surrounding our house here in the mountains. You be safe and may God be with you. Evacuate if you can.
PLEASE think good thoughts for me. I've been through 5 hurricanes & 3 typhoons. Never a category 4. I'm already prepared with everything I need to hunker down. I'm on a 35ft hill so no fear of flooding ... and enough food/ water/ gas for the generator. But the path is so close. 140 mph at the eyewall is unimaginable to go through. Time for some serious decisions to be made. If you are a prayer warrior please include me.

On a lighter note my machines are already in the van if I decide to head out!

cv quilter
September 11th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Judy, I Do wish you God Speed...Safety. You have a wonderful spirit, and I pray for your safety and all around you.

JulieC
September 11th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Prayers for your safety, Judy! Check in when you are able and let us know you are ok.

Sharyn J
September 11th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Judy, I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers along with all in the path of the storm. Stay safe.

Sandy Navas
September 11th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Adding prayers for your safety!!

jjkaiser
September 11th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Be careful and stay safe! But I must have missed something somewhere, I thought you were from Chicago.

bec
September 11th, 2018, 11:16 PM
Please don't stay. It looks so dangerous and it's not worth the risk of harm to you. Prayers.

Heather
September 11th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Good luck Judy, I hope you and your home fare well!!

JCY
September 12th, 2018, 12:21 AM
The travel gridlock already is happening. I just read about someone vacationing on the Outer Banks. It took them all day to drive 60 miles! Thoughts & prayers for your safety. I hope you bought some ice to keep your food cold. How are you going to cook w/o power? Stay safe!

Anitamae56
September 12th, 2018, 12:31 AM
Prayers to you. Wish you had evaluated but you have to do what is the best for you. Please let us know as soon as you can how you are doing.

MaryUK
September 12th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Here in the UK, we don't get hurricanes but have been known to get winds of up to 110 miles per hour. I can't imagine the dread you must be feeling - to stay or to go? Whatever you decide you need to consider your own wellbeing first! I pray you will be safe!

Judy, USMC
September 12th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Be careful and stay safe! But I must have missed something somewhere, I thought you were from Chicago.

I held on to the home I inherited from my parents in Chicago but retired and own a home in Jacksonville, NC. Guess you can call me a snowbird.

Judy, USMC
September 12th, 2018, 06:31 AM
The travel gridlock already is happening. I just read about someone vacationing on the Outer Banks. It took them all day to drive 60 miles! Thoughts & prayers for your safety. I hope you bought some ice to keep your food cold. How are you going to cook w/o power? Stay safe!

I have a generator (still have to fire it up) and with a George Foreman grill, microwave, and coffee maker I should survive. But I do also have PB&J, canned tuna, canned chicken and a loaf of bread as a backup. Lucky too that the next door neighbor is also staying and they have a grill. And if the generator fires up will also have a refrigerator, TV, fan and computer (but possibly no internet.) Will only run the genny a few hours during daytime; too loud to run at night. I have a forum friend that will post if I can't.

Judy, USMC
September 12th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Looks like it may be going a bit further south ... but even if it makes landfall 70 miles away I'll still be on the edge of the 140 mile-wide eye. Still about 24 hours to go before it hits. And hurricanes are known to wobble a bit.

Carlie Wolf
September 12th, 2018, 10:08 AM

I just read that someone vacationing from Ohio, taking a picture of himself in his rental cottage on the beach....yes on the beach where you can see the ocean right there, says he's staying....... He'll rue the day he said that and I can guarantee he won't be staying in that spot of his own volition for long. Who in their right mind would stay on the ocean shore, about 100 yards on the beach during this? I hope he realizes no one will be coming to get him once he sobers up.

Navy Wife
September 12th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Just remember if you change your mind, it may be too late. My son helped set up search and rescue after Katrina. So many of the survivors said they tried to leave, but could not get through. Probably lots of the victims had the same problem. Also think of those who will put their lives at risk to rescue you.

I wish you luck and will pray for you, but I wish you would leave now.

amartin24
September 12th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Looking at where you are on the map, I personally think you are crazy for staying! Why would you even want to? Isn't it better to be safe than sorry, or worse?

Star lover
September 12th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Oh Judy.....I understand the desire to stay....but gosh, I'm so afraid for you!

Up here they had a report from a branch of the military......can't remember which one.....they say, for those who decide to stay....put your name and social security number....with permanent ink, on your arm......so they can identify your body!

That scares me enough, I'd be gone!

Saying all that, I'm praying for you and all those who are staying and for those who will be rescuing.

chelea
September 12th, 2018, 03:15 PM
For over 10 years we've vacationed in St. Maarten. One year ago they experienced Irma, a category 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 180mph and gusts up to 240mph. The devastation was unimaginable. The storm has left many survivors with PTSD. Even normal rainstorms and mild wind is enough to trigger an episode.
So while folks may make it through a hurricane physically ok, they may suffer long-term psychological effects.

Carlie Wolf
September 12th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Michele, this is so true. People had become immune to just how dangerous living on the shore can be over the years until Sandy on the Jersey coast. Sea Bright was a strip along the shore about a mile wide. During even milder storms it would flood. The river would raise on one side and the waves would crash over the sea wall on the ocean side. Sometimes breaking through sections of the sea wall. Generally the flooding would meet in the middle along the main road. The National Guard would come in with boats and large trucks and evacuate people who did not leave when warned. This would happen every few years since the 50's when I lived across the river and also in an apartment about 35 feet from the sea wall when I was first married. Fortunately most people did take heed and left before Sandy came in, some did not. They were told there would be no one able to rescue them in the case of Sandy. Several boys in their 20's decided to stay, have a beer party, they were on the second floor of a house. I saw an interview on line about two years ago. All of the boys suffered from PTSD, one could not even speak of the incident. One said they knew they were in trouble when the outside staircase to their upstairs apartment began to separate from the waves bashing the house. People need to realize that with these coastal storm surges you may well be making a decision to stay literally IN the ocean, in some cases equivalent to a half a mile to a mile out in that ocean during a storm with winds over 100 and horrendous waves. No one in their right mind would say yes to that.

kaydee
September 12th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I'm a big wuss when it comes to storms, so I would have been the first one out of there. Stay safe.

You know the big advantage to living in Minnesota is that when we get blizzards and the power goes out, we don't risk losing our food b/c we can just put it outside and it will freeze. Of course, we do have to be concerned about freezing ourselves to death, so there's that. ;)

auntiemern
September 12th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Looking at where you are on the map, I personally think you are crazy for staying! Why would you even want to? Isn't it better to be safe than sorry, or worse?

That was really quite rude. You don't know what you would do in her circumstance. She has more than enough training to survive for days with out electric, since she served her life as a USMC Gunnery sergeant, and as such has been in the field without such luxuries for weeks on end. She is concerned with what she would possibly come back to if she left. Sometimes it is easier being there and knowing...as hard and dangerous as that is...than to be worried for days or weeks if you have anything left. I pray you never have to face such a difficult decision.

GuitarGramma
September 13th, 2018, 03:35 AM
I'm praying for you, Judy, and for all our forum friends who are in the danger zones!