PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: 911

Star lover
September 11th, 2018, 06:46 AM
The first 911 call in U.S. history was made in Haleyville, Alabama, on Feb. 16, 1968.

Alabama Speaker of the House Rankin Fite called Rep. Tom Bevill to test the system, and that rotary-dialed call (from a red phone, no less) set in motion a nationwide emergency calling system that now handles some 240 million calls a year.

I still have very vivid memories of 9-11, 2001! My heart aches for those who still grieve for their losses.......and the losses of the entire nation.......our world has changed, forever.

MissMay
September 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Prayers always for the victims154993 and their loved ones.

Cathy F
September 11th, 2018, 10:39 AM
We were coming home from upstate and as we crossed the bridge saw the trade towers, who knew that that would be the last time we saw them as we remembered them. The next day was September 11th.

Ginny B
September 11th, 2018, 10:44 AM
That day will forever be embedded in my mind. I had just moved back to NY from California and was so excited to be back "home". I was at the 2nd day of the job I had been assigned to from my agency. I had originally thought I might be sent to a company downtown in the Trade center, Cantor Fitzgerald. I would be close to my sister who worked just a block away from the Trade Center. However, instead I was assigned to Bear Stearns in midtown. It was a tense few hours before I knew my sis was safe and making her way up to where I was in midtown. Today I pray for the victims and their families and loved ones. I will never forget.

GuitarGramma
September 11th, 2018, 12:14 PM
That day will forever be embedded in my mind. I had just moved back to NY from California and was so excited to be back "home". I was at the 2nd day of the job I had been assigned to from my agency. I had originally thought I might be sent to a company downtown in the Trade center, Cantor Fitzgerald. I would be close to my sister who worked just a block away from the Trade Center. However, instead I was assigned to Bear Stearns in midtown. It was a tense few hours before I knew my sis was safe and making her way up to where I was in midtown. Today I pray for the victims and their families and loved ones. I will never forget.

The brother of a close friend worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and lost his life on 9/11. You were very fortunate for the assignment you were given that day.

Hulamoon
September 11th, 2018, 12:52 PM
It is very sad and it seems like yesterday :(

But to the 911 system.. I think it needs to be improved. I see so many stories of people that call and don't get responses or the operator thinks it's a fake call. You would think that something developed in 1968 would be better by now.

MissMay
September 11th, 2018, 01:14 PM
We lost so many people in this area as the big stock brokers all have offices in the next town. Alex Anderson and friends from her website forum decided to make quilts for one firehouse. Well you know how generous quilters are because they made hundreds of quilts of all sizes and patterns. One gal from Long Island and my DH and I delivered them to the NYC firehouses, NYC Police HQs and Port Authority HQs in Jersey City. I delivered many quilts for the local families. You know it helped all of us to get through that time.

geegeequilts
September 11th, 2018, 01:42 PM
I watched the towers fall in real time & every time I see a rerun of the coverage I still shed tears. I have a car tag I bought originally to put on the front of my car. Instead I have it on a bulletin board in my sewing room. I also have a framed poster of the flag being raised in front of a huge pile wreckage.

No. I will never forget.

Gina

Heather
September 11th, 2018, 11:41 PM
I remember exactly where I was when I heard the first report of a plane hitting the tower. They thought it was a small plane at first, at least here on the west coast.
I agree with Lorie, our 911 system does need improvement. The majority of operators do an exceptional job day in and day out with little to no recognition.

Cokie
September 12th, 2018, 12:19 AM
I was working at a church that day, and I walked into the workroom and overheard our intern on the phone. He said, "A plane hit the World Trade Tower??" We thought it was a small plane and a terrible accident at first. When it became clear that it was more than that, we all gathered around a TV to watch the coverage. We were watching when the tower collapsed, and you could have heard a pin drop in the room. The pastor was standing behind me and he said, "Is that building falling down??" and I said, "Yeah, I think so!" My youngest son was at a school about a block from work, and after the plane crashed in Pennsylvania, I went and picked him up and went home. My oldest son had graduated from HS that year and enlisted in the Marines. When we got home, he was watching TV and said, "What's going on?? What is that?" I told him that's what war looks like. He left for boot camp exactly 2 weeks later and served two tours in Iraq. No, life was never the same after that day.