PDA

View Full Version : Here she comes!

Carolnnc
September 10th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Well it's looking like we are going to get slammed by Hurricane Florence. I'm so glad our DD is headed away from the coast & not trying to ride it out. DH is going nuts at work due to all the customers buying meat they aren't going to be able to cook or eat when the power goes out for 10 days. He said they dropped a huge pallet of water in front of his meat counter & people were fighting over it so he got out of the way. I told him to grab six bags of ice to go in the freezers.

We are supposed to get a lot of rain here which means trees falling & power outages. I'm hoping the very large pine trees that surround our house stay upright!

Of course all the jars & jugs I usually fill with water are in storage. DH did bring two cases plus two gallons of water home last night. I'm trying to decide whether to go to the store at the end of the street to get some soups. I have tuna (manual can opener in storage), peanut butter, oatmeal, and canned fruit.

I just realized I need to go put gas in my car & get some cash.

I hope everyone in the path of this storm stays safe.

azmotogirl
September 10th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Thoughts and prayers headed that way for you, your family and all others in the storm's path!

grammaterry
September 10th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Hopefully it won't be as bad as they are saying. My DD is in Clemmons and she is worried too. I suggested blocks of ice in ice coolers on Thursday so if the power fails they could put a block in the refrigerator and the freezer to keep the food from spoiling. Outdoor grill would be good, so maybe some charcoal and lighter fluid would be handy. Smoked salmon, farmers cheese are other good not to have to cook. Fresh veggies, precooked bacon. IT won't last long.

Hulamoon
September 10th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I hope it slows down like ours over here did. Well the Big Island got the brunt of it though in the beginning. Now another one coming in. The weather this year with storms and wild fires really makes you think how vulnerable we all are. Keep safe!

auntstuff
September 10th, 2018, 08:07 PM
BBQ grills make good cookstoves, if you have a garage or patio to get them out of the weather.

birdscraps
September 10th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Wishing you well Carol. My best friend is in Virginia Beach trying to pack her parents up to move them to California. This has been planned for awhile so she's not thrilled to be there having to ride out the storm but I just talked to her today and they have been to the store for canned goods, water and have their cars filled with gas and got their cash. My hubby is up the road in Maryland so he's wondering if after the storm makes land which way it will turn. He says it has been raining pretty much non-stop since Friday night where he is. Wish all of you could send some of the rain to California.
Stay safe everyone. You are in my prayers!

Carolnnc
September 10th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone, I think we're going to need prayer for this one. Gaye, I hope your friend & her parents stay safe. My neighbor is up in Maryland too & he called to ask me to keep an eye on his house.

Between me & the 27 yr. old next door we have 2 gas grills, 1 charcoal grill, 2 smokers & two full freezers. If the power goes out for long we will have a heck of a block party!

I was shocked at the lines around the gas station already. There wasn't a parking place to be found at the grocery store so I went to Family Dollar & got the few things I needed. I have a huge washing machine. I ran the cycle with hot water & clorox. I'll fill it with ice on Thursday then put the gallons of tea, some bottled water & a couple of sodas in there.

I have to run to the quilt shop tomorrow to pick a kit that I ordered & that's the only store I'll go near.

MaggieSue
September 10th, 2018, 10:11 PM
Oh my so sorry to hear about the storm heading your way. Praying for safety for all!!!

KPH
September 10th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Prayers for those in Florence's path. I've gotten three emails today about getting prepped and we're not near the path of this naughty girl.

Mike loves Lipton's green tea and I buy it for him in gallon jugs. Just in case, I'm going to wash them again and put them in the freezer. I don't have a lot in there right now, but at least I won't have to worry about it.

Rhonda K
September 10th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Best wishes!

JCY
September 10th, 2018, 10:45 PM
My DS#1 lives in Chesapeake Beach, MD, but not close to the Bay. Their neighborhood is on higher ground. He stopped by the commissary (retired military) for some items & was surprised at how empty some of the shelves already are. They have a generator in case they lose power. The MD governor already has declared a state of emergency due to the expected heavy rain & flooding. Anyone living along the coast or Chesapeake Bay needs to monitor the tides. The news tonight reported the Naval ships have headed out to sea so they won't be in port when the hurricane hits. I have a former BIL who lives in Va. Beach. Let's hope Florence doesn't pack as big a punch as they are projecting. Take the warnings seriously & stay safe.

JCY
September 10th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Please don't use a BBQ grill in a garage or enclosed area, esp. if you're using charcoal. Carbon Monoxide. It can kill you!

Navy Wife
September 10th, 2018, 11:45 PM
Be safe and prepare as much as you can. We should be protected by the mountains, so expecting 2 inches of rain. I have several friends who may be in harm's way. My thoughts and prayers will be with all in danger. Knoxville hotels are filling up fast, so if you need to leave do it tomorrow. Many hotels are waiving their pet rules. I'm glad to hear that as many people stay at home because of pets(I would be one!).

dwil23
September 11th, 2018, 03:35 AM
Fill whatever plastic containers you have with water and put in the freezer NOW. You can even use ziploc bags. It will serve two purposes. First, will keep your refrigerator and freezer cooler and if worse comes to worse for drinking.Look up "rocket stove" on you-tube and gather materials to build one if necessary. If it's not too late, try to purchase cooling towels (sporting goods dept) and cooling mats (pet dept) to help cool everyone off when the power is gone. Of course fill sinks, tubs, plastic storage bins, and washing machine with water. I filled both sides of my kitchen sink and put a few drops of dish detergent in one side. When we needed to wash our hands, we could use the soapy water and then pour clean water from a 2 liter soda bottle to rinse. I filled as many 2 liter bottles as I could get my hands on. All in all, we survived 6 and a half days with no power after Irma with the help of a generator shared intermittently with a neighbor (Bless his Heart!)

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 11th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Please stay safe. Praying that everyone heeds the warnings and don't try to be heroes to ride it out. It's only things and they can be replaced. People can't be replaced.

As Joy mentioned, don't use gas or charcoal BBQs indoors in the garage.

It looks like everyone has precious experience of surviving hurricanes and have learned best practices. God bless.

auntiemern
September 11th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Hugs and prayers headed your way. This is looking to be a really nasty storm. Hoping it drops to a cat 3.

Cokie
September 11th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Stay safe! My niece is stationed in Norfolk VA in the Navy - she's based on a ship so I assume she's headed out. Prayers for everyone in the path of the storm.

Simply Quilting
September 11th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Please stay safe and update us as you can.

Heather
September 11th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Good luck to you Carol and everyone else in the path of the storm!!