PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: Kansas

Star lover
September 10th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Some interesting facts about Kansas:

......some strange laws first.....

Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.
It is illegal for chicken thieves to work during daylight hours.
Pedestrians crossing the highways at night must wear tail lights.
No one may catch fish with his bare hands.
It is illegal to put ice cream on cherry pie. (This is now no longer the case.....as it should have been!) seriously...this was once the Law!
The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.
If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed. ????? mmmmmm, right...
It is illegal to hunt whales.

In Derby hitting a vending machine that stole your money is illegal. Shooting it with a 22, however is perfectly fine.

And in Topeka it is illegal to sing the alphabet on the streets at night.

Smith County, Kan. is the geographical center of the 48 contiguous states.

The world famous fast-food chain of Pizza Hut restaurants and the first White Castle opened their first stores in Wichita.

Kansas ranks second nationally in average number of tornadoes per year (60) and third in tornadoes per 1,000 square miles (44).

The graham cracker was named after the Reverend Sylvester Graham. He was a minister who strongly believed in eating whole-wheat flour products.

154940. 154941

Helium was discovered in 1905 at the University of Kansas. And Kansas in one of the two sources of helium in the U.S.

The tallest waterslide in the world is at the Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Kansas City, Kan. It is taller than Niagara Falls.

Amelia Earhart, first woman granted a pilot's license by the National Aeronautics Associate and first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean was from Atchison, Kan.

The first woman mayor in the United States was Susan Madora Salter. She was elected to office in Argonia, Kan. in 1887.

In 1990, Kansas wheat farmers produced enough wheat to make 33 billion loaves of bread, or enough to provide each person on earth with six loaves.

Dodge City is the windiest city in the United States, with an average wind speed of 14 mph.

The term "red light district" came from the Red Light Bordello in Dodge City, Kansas. The front door of the building was made of red glass and produced a red glow when lit at night.

The Hugoton Gas Field is the largest natural gas field in the United States. It underlies almost 8,500 square miles, an area nearly five times as large as the state of Rhode Island.

The First United Methodist Church in Hutchinson was built in 1874 during the time of the grasshopper plagues. As a result, thousands of grasshoppers are mixed into the foundation.

Hutchinson is nicknamed the Salt City because it was built above some of the richest salt deposits in the world.

South of Ashland, the Rock Island Bridge is the longest railroad bridge of its kind. It measures 1,200 feet long and is 100 feet above the Cimarron River.

Second only to Texas, there have been more meteorites found in Kansas than in any other state west of the Mississippi River.

The Arkansas River may be the only river whose pronunciation changes as it crosses state lines. In Kansas, it is called the Arkansas (ahr-KAN-zuhs). On both sides of Kansas (Colorado and Oklahoma) it is called the “Arkansaw.”

Opened in 1857, Hays House, in Council Grove, is the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi River.

A hailstone weighing more than one and a half pounds once fell on Coffeyville.

At Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, waterbeds are used for horses in surgery.

There is a grain elevator in Hutchinson, Kansas that is half mile long and holds 46 million bushels of grain.

Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States, was from Abilene.

In 1919 the first airplane factory in Kansas was built in Wichita, which became one of the nation's top plane manufacturing cities.

In 2007, a tornado leveled, or destroyed, 95 percent of Greensburg. It was 26 miles long, nearly two miles wide, and the damage it caused cost $250 million. It was the first tornado to be rated EF5.

There are currently 528 caves and counting identified throughout the state.

In 1928, a tornado in Kansas was so strong, it plucked feathers off of some chickens.

In the town of Liberal, Kan., you can see a house that is an exact replica of Dorothy’s house in the movie “The Wizard of Oz.”

In Kansas, farmland covers more than 88 percent of the total land.

Kansas inventors include Almon Stowger of El Dorado who invented the dial telephone in 1889;

154945. 154946

William Purvis and Charles Wilson of Goodland who invented the helicopter in 1909;

and Omar Knedlik of Coffeyville who invented the first frozen carbonated drink machine in 1961.

Fort Riley, between Junction City and Manhattan, was the cradle of the United States Cavalry for 83 years. George Custer formed the famed 7th Cavalry there in 1866. Ten years later, at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, the 7th was virtually wiped out. The only Cavalry survivor was a horse named Comanche.

Civil War veteran S.P. Dinsmoor used over 100 tons of concrete to build the Garden of Eden in Lucas. Even the flag above the mausoleum is made of concrete.

Holy Cross Shrine in Pfeifer, was known as the 2 Cent Church because the building was built using a 2 cent donation on each bushel of wheat sold by members of the church.

The rocks at Rock City are huge sandstone concretions. In an area about the size of two football fields, 200 rocks, some as large as houses, dot the landscape. There is no other place in the world where there are so many concretions of such giant size.

A tour you can take in Kansas: thank you to Lori (Hulamoon!)
- Kansas Underground Salt Museum: Hutchinson, KS

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 10th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Thanks for posting. Many of DH still live in Kansas, and with every trip, I get to see some of these sights. I do have to agree that there are some strange laws, that still exist. I amazed that laws can change with different counties, but maybe that is common in US states.

DH niece is a volunteer at Cow Town in Wichita, which preserves the heritage and stories of years gone by. She is known as Deadly Debbie, and they do many reenactions of gun fights. On my first trip I was impressed with the Keeper of the Plains history. We also visited the Space Center inHutchison. DH's dad saw some of the planes that he worked on when he worked for Boeing. There is a part of the space shuttle on display which shows the actual tiles, which DH's company developed a 3D laser to scan the tiles for damage. Pretty neat.

On our last trip DH cousin offered to bring us to the salt mine, but there was not enough time. And, I don't like going underground.

Hulamoon
September 10th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Hunting whales in Kansas? lol

Star lover
September 10th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Hunting whales in Kansas? lol

Yeah I know! I sooo want to hunt whales in Kansas.....easpecially in Kansas!......and I really want to sing the alphabet at night in Topeka!

Oh how I wanted to say to most of us here.......were not in Kansas......at all!

Anitamae56
September 10th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I am a Kansasan, and never hunted for whales, actually haven't seen one either!!:)
And the tallest water slide has been closed for 2 years , due a young boy being killed on it. It was a very sad event, engineers are being sued and the trial should be started very soon. Sounds like the company that build it knew how dangerous it was. Very sad.
Thanks Anita, for all info. I live
About 45 min from Topeka and I am not going there and singing the Alphabet there!! Lol
That was fun to read!

kensington
September 11th, 2018, 01:28 AM
My dad was born at home in Burlingame, Kansas. Lived there until he was an adult. I am named after the first girl he ever liked when he was in the second grade. The main street is still brick. I spent my summers as a kid going back and forth to see our great grama there. My aunts uncles and their kids ... all of us, would load up and drive there to spend the whole weekends. We slept in the bunk room or on the feather beds. People every where. We used to love to go down the road to the school and play on the playground equipment... one of those things everyone climbs on and spins. LOL, I always got sick.

My dad's people are all buried in the Harveyville Cemetary. My 90 year old aunt still goes down on Memorial day to put flowers to her grandparents and great granparents graves.

I've been to the Wizard of Oz museum... don't waste your money. LOL.

geegeequilts
September 11th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Love all the amazing facts. Some are really out there but fun.

Gina